Author Topic: London Calling...  (Read 10757 times)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
Re: London Calling...
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
I wish I could come and join you guys I would love to do some night shooting but I have some evening work on wednesday in Victoria which wont be finishing till the early hours!
Wrap up warm and have a good day/night!

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2013, 11:29:08 AM »
Oh bum, just saw reference to this on twitter last night.. I need to get back into regular forum posting..

Diane - make sure you tell me when you're over with plenty of notice please!  8)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
Met up with Deborah at Liverpool Street station yeterday afternoon and headed for Tower of London / Tower Bridge as she wanted to get some early evening / sundown shots. Upon arriving outside he Tower of London, we met up with Peter R - who had made it down from Cambridge.

It wasn't getting dark enough, quickly enough, so we headed to a coffee emporium to pass half an hour - most of which I spent at the counter remonstrating with the cretin who kept giving me other people'' orders.  I received a text from Ed that he was going to be able to make it after all.

Ed arrived as Peter had to depart, so Deborah, Ed and I made our way slowly back to Liverpool Street via The City of London. I've got a few photos from the time we spent at The Tower (some film, some digi) which I'll process this weekend and will post on this thread.

It was great to meet up wih a fellow FW'er from across the pond - albeit that Deborah had to catch an early tube ride back to the hotel to prepare for a theatre visit to see "A Chorus Line".

Here's hoping the weather is a bit more benevolent when Diane's in town. It was dry yesterday but poor Deborah was frozen to the core as a result of the unseasonably cold spell.

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
Here's the first of the photos.

Deborah and Ed sat on the Thames embankment facing the Tower of London and with The Lord Mayor's office immediately behind them. As you can see, it was damned cold - unseasonably so for London at the end of March.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »
Great shot! Happy to see Deborah & Ed's beautiful faces ... :) Wish I could have been over to also meet up with  Deborah..another time hopefully!

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 03:03:55 AM »
It was dry yesterday but poor Deborah was frozen to the core as a result of the unseasonably cold spell.

YES! I was FROZEN to the core most of the week, but the day we met up was especially COLD! It was fun though! I was great meeting up with you guys & thank you guys for being such great hosts!

I just got back yesterday afternoon and am still a bit jet lagged. I had a fantastic time in London. I got to everything on my list except fish & chips (the gluten free chippy I'd found turned out to only be gluten free on Mondays & Tuesday). I spent most of the week walking around (which I love to do here in NYC as well). London is gorgeous; so many places where you can look down a street and see no modern buildings at all. And this New Yorker finds it impressive in so many ways: From the great Underground system that puts our subways to shame, to the free museums, to the theater prices (I saw 4 shows for what it would have cost me to see just one on Broadway). The only pricey ticket was to see Helen Mirren in 'The Audience' (well worth the price). I also got a private tour of Albert Square and a visit to Highclere Castle (where they film Downton Abbey), and had a Victoria Sponge (gluten free) which I've heard so much about but never seen before. London is as much familiar as foreign, but even so there are quirky differences, from your supermarkets keeping eggs on the shelves instead of in the refrigerators or that despite the traffic there is virtually no horn honking (unlike NYC).

I came armed with two cameras, my Nikon D700, and my Hasselblad SWC, planning to take tons of pictures but it was so freakin' cold, and grey, I took hardly any except for what I shot on my iPhone. Maybe next time. I miss it already. Just this morning I woke up and thought, hmm...maybe I'll run over to the Palladium and get a ticket to see A Chorus Line again tonight, and then I remembered I was back in NYC.

If I get the chance to come back to London again I'll plan better, now that I know more about the way some things work. Thanks again to you guys for making me feel welcome!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:01 AM »
Well Deborah, it was great meeting you (albeit briefly) and swapping stories about housing co-ops and the gentrification of our respective cities. I'm glad you survived the anxiety of the flight back too. You are very kind about London; not everyone who lives here sees things as you do, but sometimes we need an outsider to give us a different point of view. I love NYC, but it's been too long since I last visited, so if we don't meet again in London, maybe I'll see you on your home turf.

BTW, we look cold as hell in that photo....well captured, Paul.