Author Topic: Thoughts going out to the east-coast Americas  (Read 3607 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Thoughts going out to the east-coast Americas
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
Hope our East coast US and Canadian members are keeping safe and dry. Looks like it's been a rough night.
L.

Alan

• Self-Coat
Re: Thoughts going out to the east-coast Americas
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:15:53 AM »
yes

it was all over the news!

not a pleasant experience by any accounts with i think 13 lives lost.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:40:52 AM »
Here's hoping our messages of goodwill reach the intended recipients. Due to the reported power outages, if our messages get through, there's a better-than-average chance that things are okay. If they don't, let's hope that the waters subside quickly, damage is limited and none of our community has suffered anything worse than wet feet....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:28:05 PM »
I'm fortunate, being on relatively high ground in Brooklyn, but it looks like lower Manhattan and Red Hook in Brooklyn and the Rockaways were pretty devastated.  Also looks like the subway system was hit very hard, with a lasting impact from salt water damage to the electrical system...

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »
It was a windy night in the Toronto area last night. There were power outages in my city. With street lights being out it made things a little hard since we have a lot of terrible drivers in the city.

Nothing like what i saw on CNN last night. I hope the cleanup isnt as bad as it looks.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »
Here in Montreal, we mainly had very strong winds last night. We're lucky to still have power. Now the wind has almost died down and has once again changed direction. So the rain will be starting this afternoon an keep on going for two days... hope I won't get flooded again!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
a relief to be able to read from some of you. :)
all this is kind of hard for me to wrap my mind around and understand! :S
/jonas

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
Certainly bad.  A friend of mine lives just west of Philadelphia but he was able to mail me this morning ...

"So far (fingers still crossed) it hasn't been nearly as bad as predicted.  The eye went over us late last night.  Winds were incredible, but we only got, maybe, 4 inches of rain, while they were originally predicting 10+.  Our power blipped a few times, and went out for a minute or two, but that was it.  Driving in this morning, more places than not had the power out still.  We may have lost a couple trees - they're both listing pretty hard. 

Atlantic City, and most of the coastal towns we go to in the summer, were wiped out.  The boardwalking in AC was apparently nearly completely destroyed.  Ocean City, where we usually go, is under feet of water."

Gonna be a long clean-up.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
I hear our property in Brooklyn is fine. Still have power and everything.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »
Thanks Leon, everyone.  It was quite a storm (in Philly) but we did surprisingly well, with no loss of power and none of the trees came down on our property.  Many of my neighbors weren't so lucky.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »
Went for a walk in Lower Manhattan last night. 

digital, so click at your own risk
http://hookstrapped.viewbook.com/album/nyafterdarksandyremix#1

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »
Trees came down in our neighborhood, so we are still without power. We were able to get a generator yesterday -- allows us to run the refrigerator and charge some electronics. We were lucky in Massachusetts. My heart aches for the people directly in Sandy's path.

Terry

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »
I've got a gas (petrol) generator thanks to Irene last year, but the stations have no power to pump.  Hence I turn on power about an hour a day to charge the cellphone and check emails.  Today I powered up the scanner too and scanned a few negs I shot yesterday and souped by candlelight last night.  A big tree that came down in my neighborhood--the power lines snagged it so it didn't fall into that house and no one was injured.  We didn't get the heavy rains but had 82 mph wind.  Trees down everywhere I look.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:50:34 PM by Terry »

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »
We had 10" rain but luckily a bit less than that in my living room.  My sister in lower Manhattan is in the midst of utter devastation.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 08:11:45 PM »
We had 10" rain but luckily a bit less than that in my living room.  My sister in lower Manhattan is in the midst of utter devastation.
oh shoot...
Hope you mopped it fast!
Francois

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »
oh shoot...
Hope you mopped it fast!

Part of the Living room still looks like a war zone with my makeshift solutions, err... plastic tarps and breadloaf pans... duct taped to the ceiling, a plastic tarp tent over the tv and on the carpet.  Hah!

Terry

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »
The only photo I took during the storm....4 seconds at f/4 on Acros 100

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 02:03:47 PM »
Got lucky here. Lots of damage in my town and still quite a few people without power. Winds were the craziest I have ever seen. Lots of friends I know who have homes in the Little Ferry/Moonachie area along with shore homes have lost alot. Very heartbreaking to se what happend to Seaside Heights NJ. I have spent a considerable amount of time shooting there and you guys have seen many of those pics. Hoping they make a full recovery. :(

Reporting from Maywood NJ.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
I remember vividly the hurricane that hit the UK 25 years ago, almost to the day. It wasn't on quite the same scale and we weren't that badly affected in the NW of England. However, I'd been working as an insurance underwriter in Manchester for 8 years and was asked to spend some time in London helping out answering phones, setting up new claims for damaged property and organising loss adjuster visits. I was down there for about a month in total. That was also a massive and lengthy clear up and cost us hundreds of £millions.

Hopefully, you've all got the right cover. Don't hang around - get the claim process started as you don't want to be at the back of the queue when so many claims will be hitting the insurers' desks. If you can salvage receipts for damaged items - or get copies from where you bought the stuff. Anything to support / validate your claim.

We insurers get bad press (sometimes it's even justified) but this is a great opportunity for insurance companies to prove their worth.

Best wishes to you and your families.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 08:22:01 PM »
This is the first I've had the chance to check in. We've been without electricity and water since Monday in downtown Manhattan. I'm only able to post this from work farther uptown. The 14 flight climb to my apartment has lost it's charm! They say we might have power by Saturday (fingers crossed!)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 08:35:24 PM »
Debbie, I'm glad you're OK.

Part of the Living room still looks like a war zone with my makeshift solutions, err... plastic tarps and breadloaf pans... duct taped to the ceiling, a plastic tarp tent over the tv and on the carpet.  Hah!
The only things I can say are: Oh Sh** and, like LD said, Get that claim in ASAP!

And if you can get a good cleanup crew, do so. They have machines made just for that (and stuff I didn't even know existed!)
I might have had to deal with a bunch of thugs in the renovating crew, but at least I didn't have to do it all by myself!

Also, be ready for the repairs to take a long time. When something like that hits, all the companies are booked solid in a matter of hours. So, put a reservation in for a spot on their list. We weren't fast enough to get the renovation crew, so it took about 5 or 6 months to get the work done (well, we were flooded on the 29th of May and we have finished dealing with the construction company just last week)...

Good luck.
Francois

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »
@Hookstrapped: That image of the food cart in the dark needs to be published somewhere. Have you thought of submitting it to AP? I have a contact there, if you'd like a name.

@Francois: Thanks! Things are OK here but still no electricity or water at home downtown. Luckily there is power here and in fact for the last two days, B&H has had tables full of power stripsset up in front of the store for anyone who needs to juice up their phones, etc. So if you know anyone downtown who needs to charge anything up, send them over. It's free, of course. But please note we close at 2PM on Fridays.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »
@Hookstrapped: That image of the food cart in the dark needs to be published somewhere. Have you thought of submitting it to AP? I have a contact there, if you'd like a name.

Thanks, yes I would appreciate help in getting it published.  my email is hookstrapped at gmail dot com

Hope you guys get your power back soon!

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 03:57:35 PM »
Thanks! I hope we get power back soon as well. But on the bright side, if it doesn't, with all this stair climbing I'll soon be able to crack walnuts with my thighs.

I sent the link to your pictures to a former coworker at AP, with your email address, and said he should contact you if they are interested. His name is Ted. I hope you hear from him and make some bucks!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »
Cool.  Thanks!