Author Topic: Darn it! (Or words to that effect) Just missed a great shot  (Read 1978 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Darn it! (Or words to that effect) Just missed a great shot
« on: April 13, 2007, 02:19:40 PM »
So there I was, strolling the streets of Lewes on my lunch break. At the bottom of the hill a real old Chitty Chitty Bang Bang type racing car was parked, and receiving quite a bit of attention. As I reached the traffic lights at the top of the hill I heard a roaring and spluttering behind me as the car – complete with driver in full regalia of goggles, the lot – drew up at a red. I paused a moment, and then fumbled in my bag for my Holga. Trouble is, I have one of those stupid big girl bag affairs, that even a Holga can get lost in. Just as I found it and drew it out, the lights changed, and the car farted off down the High Street.

Sod it.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Re: Darn it! (Or words to that effect) Just missed a great shot
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:55:05 PM »
Sod it.

I console myself with thoughts of maybe not composing correctly, or too much clutter in the background or similar reasons why it might not have been a killer shot... I left my dark slide in last week, and kicked myself in a similar way. Skorj.

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:43:36 PM »
What?!

You mean you don't have your camera loaded, wound-on, metered, set, focussed and ready (with the lens cap off) in your hand every minute of the day?!!!

Me neither! I reckon photographers have more "the one that got away" stories than fishermen...

One of mine comes from a trip to Florida a few years back.

We were driving up to do the tourist bit at the Kennedy Space Centre (well worth several visits!) and I was amusing myself by snapping anything the roadside signs. I managed to get the huge billboard advertising DIAL 1-800-2-BUY-SOD, which could be taken a number of different ways in the UK. However, I was changing films when we passed the one where "Don Giovani's Pizzas" was right next to "Fleas-Be-Gone Pet Care"...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 03:46:24 PM by FrankB »

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:30:58 PM »
the shot I am most gutted about missing was driving through Edinburgh and passed an Undertaker shop. Outside the shop front was an undertaker in black suit throwing bin bags into the back of a hearse. There was no way of taking pic without causing an accident.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:22:43 PM »
Actually, I still miss a picture with 2 adds that were so ill fitted together that it just made me laugh.
Just picture this:

From an ice cream shop, the sign just said the following with a nice big cone of softie:
Ice Cold Treats

and just above it at the shop next door:
Ed. Darche Funeral Parlor

Lets just say I never went there for an "ice cold treat"  :D
(both stores closed down soon after... how sad ;) )
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.