Author Topic: Wet Plate... on iPhone glass!?  (Read 1463 times)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Wet Plate... on iPhone glass!?
« on: August 16, 2012, 02:53:38 PM »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Wet Plate... on iPhone glass!?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
I find it actually makes it look too good to throw in a pocket... I'd be afraid to scratch it!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:26:29 PM »
first time I've actually wanted an Iphone! amazing. I've never done wet plate (maybe when I have more time/money. still don't get enough time to set up my dark room :-( but I would so do this if I owned one. perhaps coat the top in something to protect it.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »
it looks like he bought a replacement cover and just glued it on top of the phone, or stuck it to an iphone cover. i guess the only advantage to using the replacement glass is strength...though you could probably use plastic. regular glass might shatter on your phone...wouldn't be fun in your pocket!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
iPhones are actually surprisingly sturdy.

The glass is an aluminosilicate based glass. It is not glass like we commonly know it, it's more like a ceramic that gets polished once out of the kiln. For the curious, just google for corning gorilla glass (that's the name of the product).
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 04:27:06 AM »
Though i just dropped mine today for then first time ever, from two feet off the ground. Landed face down and the screen shattered. So much for gorilla glass. Phone still works though.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »
Though i just dropped mine today for then first time ever, from two feet off the ground. Landed face down and the screen shattered. So much for gorilla glass. Phone still works though.

I've seen people using them with shattered glass, with a piece of clear packing tape holding everything in place. But depending on where you live, they cost a lot less to fix than I'd expect. Chrysler Camera here in NYC can replace the glass for you.

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
if you've ever done it on your own they are quite crazy to replace the front glass. You pretty much have to dismantle the entire phone. The back however, two screws and 1 minute to swap out.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »
That is one of the crazy things about new technology. On one hand, we've never produced so many strong materials. But on the other hand, companies make them so thin that they still are fragile...
Francois

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
Practical? No, but beautiful? Yes!