Author Topic: The D for Density on my Meograde head  (Read 3833 times)

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
The D for Density on my Meograde head
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:22:22 PM »
So ... Crank it up when Negs are thin and with little contrast, or the other way around ?

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
Re: The D for Density on my Meograde head
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
Whoops, looks like it does the reverse ... Did it for a second longer but with 30 on D so half and it's grey and crap.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
Crank it up to bring it down... sounds so rock & roll to me :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:43:15 AM »
I'm still none the wiser, but that's normal.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:28:48 AM »
i've no idea how to use this head Miles - can you explain what physically happens when you adjust the D value?

does it change the filter colour?  or maybe change the light intensity?  I've never come across a density adjuster on an enlarger before ... overall density of print values is usually controlled by exposure time ...........  ???
L.

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:52:08 AM »
Thanks Leon.

There's a separate contrast dial that does the usual on multigrade paper, numbered the Ilford way, that's all good. Then there's a Density wheel which I do think changes the intensity, graded 0 to 60 I think. If anything I think it may reduce the intensity as the numbers go up.

I've googled about the Meopta Magnifax 4a with Meograde head but not found anything tangible.

I love the enlarger as it does 6x9 all in.

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:49:03 AM »
Ok found this ...

Hi Jan, It's just there to decrease/increase the intensity of light. This helps you to put the exposure time into a range which suits you best.
I have the same enlarger and I like to keep exposure times between 10-20 seconds. To ensure this I usually keep the dial at 30. If you prefer longer exposure times dial in a higher number, or visa versa.
A change from 0 to 30 should mean a one stop increase. Similarly, increasing from 30 to 60 means another stop. In my experience though, this is not exactly correct.
I suggest you make a few tests with the dial at various settings, find out which exposure time is most convenient to you, and leave the dial at that setting (unless you have a negative which is dramatically different in density to warrant a change in the dial).
Cheers, omar

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:12:03 PM »
So it's a wheel with ND filters... pretty clever.
Personally, I rigged a dimmer on my enlargers. It's pretty handy when you want to dodge and burn and the exposure time is too short.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.