Author Topic: Next UK FW Meet up and Shoot ...  (Read 3051 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Next UK FW Meet up and Shoot ...
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
... or is that Shoot up and Meat?  :D

Anyways - Paul Mitchell mentioned we should get another UK FW meet-up organised, I tend to agree.

Paul nominated the Seven Sisters park/ Cuckmere haven in Sussex. I'm quite keen on that idea ... anyone else?

I was thinking in March or early April on a Saturday.

http://www.sevensisters.org.uk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/sevenwonders/south/cuckmore/

L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
Re: Next UK FW Meet up and Shoot ...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 08:33:31 PM »
I'd probably be up for it but I'd also suggest a few other locations. Nash point (or thereabouts) in South Wales or that beach that Sandeha goes to which is somewhere around there too I think or alternatively, the Norfolk coast - around Cromer maybe. Or for somewhere more central maybe Avebury.

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »
Funny you should mention Nash Point and Dunraven, Peter, because right between the two of them there's the Plough and Harrow ...

http://ploughandharrow.org/

;D

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »
Funny you should mention Nash Point and Dunraven, Peter, because right between the two of them there's the Plough and Harrow ...

http://ploughandharrow.org/

;D

Sounds like a plan to me. Even if not this time, I'd certainly be up for a trip down your way at some point Sandeha.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »
I'm sure I could drag myself over to South Wales given a bit of notice!  ;) Be nice to see a bit of rugged coastline.

Could also do a stint on the Suffolk coast as well, sometime. Paul Mitchell is, apparently, au-fait with a few good vantage points, I understand.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »
Whilst I'd love to visit south wales, it's too far for me to do in a day, and I don't think I can swing a whole weekend away this spring. If that is the desired location, I'll have to sit this one out.

[edit: damn osx autocorrect]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:24:00 AM by leon taylor »
L.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »
Having managed Kent I feel up for anything!

Sussex sounds fine to me. Avebury I could probably walk to given a few few days!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
How do people feel about canals and narrowboats? There's a narrowboat museum at a place called Stoke Bruerne, near Towcester (just off the M1 in Northamptonshire). Some nice countryside nearby, a canal and a pub called "The Boat" (somewhat unsurprisingly) next to the museum. I haven't been there in many years but it's a bit more central for those travelling from the SE / Kent.

We have talked about going to Oxford previously. Plenty to see and do in the City and park-and-ride services abound to avoid having to take the cars into one of the least driver friendly places on the planet.

Sussex sounds good as well.

I'm happy to go with the consensus view, though, as I don't mind travelling a distance.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 11:33:25 PM »
Great idea. In theory I'm in....if it's Sussex. I wont be able make Wales though (and it pains me to say it because I'd love to make that trip in service of photography). Norfolk, possibly because although it's still a hike from London, it's my home planet so I know the area well enough. Narrowboat museum....erm, probably not my dream venue and certainly nothing I'd be that interested in shooting, but I'd probably be talking too much to take a shot anyway  ;D ;D

Leon: make sure you avoid the school holidays when you're organising the date (for our school that's the first 2 weeks in April). I'll be fully booked during that time.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 07:27:44 AM »
I have to say that canal boats do not really do it for me either. A nice bit of coast or interesting scenery is what I'd be looking for.

L.

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 07:50:20 AM »
Anywhere much beyond the M4 corridor would likely be too far for me this season, but no worries.  We'll get everywhere in the end.  ;)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 08:09:56 AM »
Maybe Avebury? seems fairly central. We could do a walk taking in the large circle:

Take Herepath up to the ridgeway from the village, then south to the Sanctuary.

Go along the A4 to West Kennet long barrow and Silbury hill,

then take the foot path across the fields towards the Beckhampton road and the village again.

It's a nice walk, about 5 miles, no steep hills, other than the one up to the W Kennet barrow, and at a slow ramble it will probably take a day.
L.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
Cool, I can camp out at in laws too.

I'd like the dog to come too but without opposable thumbs he can't load film.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
I only mentioned Sussex to Leon the other day because it's somewhere I've never been and would like to visit, would also like to visit Nash Point, Avebury, Ulluru, Atacama Desert etc. I'm sure there will plenty of opportunities throughout the year to meet up at more than one location!

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »
I'd certainly be in for somewhere 'central-ish'.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
I'm sure there will plenty of opportunities throughout the year to meet up at more than one location!

Absolutely. I only mentioned a few other places in case anyone else fancied them as well, but it doesn't have to be this time.

I'm more likely to be able to get to Avebury but I'd be interested in Sussex as well.

I definitely want to do South Wales sometime though - it's been on my list for a few years, so maybe we could arrange another jaunt in that direction later for anyone interested.

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 09:05:08 AM »
I certainly think its about time I met some of you guys and I'd be keen to travel south for a day or two for a hike, some nice food and a few drinks of that peculiarly flat beer you have down there.  Late March/early April would be good for me but after 7th April I'd struggle due to work committments over the next fortnight or so.  Central sounds good but you southerners seem to have a typically hazy idea of where the middle of the UK is - and last time I looked at an atlas Aylsbury certainly wasn't in the Midlands.  Still, anything north of London would be appreciated - Sussex etc would be just too far for me to do it comfortably from North Yorkshire.  I'd also need somewhere that had a few B&Bs fairly close by.

Graham

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
Sussex etc would be just too far for me to do it comfortably from North Yorkshire

North Yorkshire is that in Scotland?  ;)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
Almost.  But you're right, if we include Scotland then North Yorkshire is quite 'central'.  Yorkshire Dales Anyone?

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
Almost.  But you're right, if we include Scotland then North Yorkshire is quite 'central'.  Yorkshire Dales Anyone?
If it wasn't so far to go just for a day I'd be there like a shot... mmm... might take my tent up there for a few days when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Here's one of my Aysgarth pinholes

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »
Och a liv in Scotland an its nae waer neer Nth Yorkshire  ::)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

stevesegz

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 07:23:58 AM »
I am keen to go anywhere just need some notice really. South Wales is great and I have been planning a trip to the Dales for a while so keen to go there, but Aylesbury just as good. Not really a narrow boat person though.
 I live near the North norfolk coast and am happy to organise lunches etc, have a good size garden that will take tents and hard standing that will take a caravan/motorhome if people would like to make a weekend of it? Also got a double garage I use as a studio/gallery so could have an exhibition/display of sorts.
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 08:54:57 AM »
If we include Scotland then North Yorkshire is quite 'central'.  Yorkshire Dales Anyone?

I'm up for anywhere. There's a B&B option virtually everywhere we might want to meet up. If that's a bit expensive for some, camping is an option. (Note to self: I must check my tent as it hasn't had an airing for some years.)

If we're looking at demographics, Wiltshire / Oxfordshire is pretty "central" for the guys who have been at the meets since I joined but we haven't pushed the distances travelled that much. Geographically, though, anywhere in the northern counties of England is central UK. I drive from Braintree in Essex to Manchester (220 miles) easily in 4 hours (assuming an early start and no heavy weather / snarl ups),

Peak District around Buxton / Bakewell is another lovely part of the world and a bit closer to the south than the Yorkshire Dales. Worth putting to a vote?

stevesegz

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »
Looks like we could put a programme of events together from the variety of suggestions. Thoughts?
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 01:25:58 PM »
poll started here (although I expect we'll end up with an even spread of votes):

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=4933.0
L.