Author Topic: Home Built Pinhole Plans  (Read 1473 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Home Built Pinhole Plans
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Being slightly low on cash... I think I'll try and make an imitation... :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Home Built Pinhole Plans
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:05:41 PM »
Being slightly low on cash... I think I'll try and make an imitation...

François, you know we are all dripping or perhaps dribbling with anticipation! If anyone can do it, you can!

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
Home Built Pinhole Plans
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:49:48 PM »

Me too, but in 5x7" (cos I've got the filmholders)

A sneaky peek (I'm refining the design of the back- want to make it interchangeable so I can use it in future to go on a camera with a lens and stuff) of my scheming:

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
Home Built Pinhole Plans
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »

A sneaky peek (I'm refining the design of the back- want to make it interchangeable so I can use it in future to go on a camera with a lens and stuff) of my scheming:

I'm currently sitting with two darkslide on the table beside me, which I have been measuring up to do something similar.

Like the look of your plans.  Have you got as far as deciding what materials to use etc.

No doubt Francois will miss the plan stage and go straight to the camera phase itself.

Combine these with the recent how to make a pinhole thread and we could have some fun.

Mike

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
Home Built Pinhole Plans
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »

I'm currently sitting with two darkslide on the table beside me, which I have been measuring up to do something similar.

Like the look of your plans.  Have you got as far as deciding what materials to use etc.

No doubt Francois will miss the plan stage and go straight to the camera phase itself.

Combine these with the recent how to make a pinhole thread and we could have some fun.

Mike

Yeah, I'm sure Francois will do something super cool (no pressure F)  8)

I'm gonna use aluminium angle for most of it, with some ply or mdf for spacers. The lens cone will be 'stitch and glue' thin plywood. I think I'll use shockcord to spring the back. When I get the design finalised and build one to see if it works I'll make the design files freely available. My intention design a graflok compatible back that anyone with a saw, a drill, a measuring tape and opposable thumbs can build in an afternoon. I'll scale the design for 5x4" and 8x10" too...

Will build it over xmas when I've got some time off and then try making some cyanotypes (I've got pent-up creativity from the last few months of being exclusively sciencey). Only problem is my darkslides are not 5x7" as I thought but 13x18cm- struggling to find some 13x18 film in the UK.

(sorry, well OT)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:30:18 PM by DS »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Home Built Pinhole Plans
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »
Hi guys ...

sorry for meddling, but I thought it would be more appropriate to split this away and into a new thread. It is a bit of a kick in the teeth to ilford for them to loan us a camera, then for us to show detailed plans on how to make our own!!! ;) :) Not that we shouldn't, but maybe it's better to not have it in so close proximity to the ilford one!!

L.

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 09:46:06 PM »
Hi guys ...

sorry for meddling, but I thought it would be more appropriate to split this away and into a new thread. It is a bit of a kick in the teeth to ilford for them to loan us a camera, then for us to show detailed plans on how to make our own!!! ;) :) Not that we shouldn't, but maybe it's better to not have it in so close proximity to the ilford one!!

Absolutely- I wholeheartedly concur. Thank you.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 10:20:41 PM »
I always make plans... most of them in my head. I usually scribble something on some piece of paper... usually measurements and stuff. But most of all is done by eye as I go... sometimes it doesn't work (like my streaking camera) and other times it does.

Now, I'm hesitating between an Ilford-esque build or something totally off the wall... I can't decide :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 06:47:08 AM »
I always make plans... most of them in my head. I usually scribble something on some piece of paper... usually measurements and stuff. But most of all is done by eye as I go... sometimes it doesn't work (like my streaking camera) and other times it does.

Now, I'm hesitating between an Ilford-esque build or something totally off the wall... I can't decide :)

I usually make loads of sketches after a lot of day-dreaming but when I build it just make it up as I go along. This is why most of my cameras are made of c35.4% duct tape....

I've refined the design of the back somewhat- there are fairly obvious flaws- the sides of the back need to be about 1mm wider to accomodate a bit of felt for the light trap. I also need to confirm the exact dimensions of the aluminium angle. I'm using 19mm square and 12.5x25mm 1.6mm angle- it might be better with 3mm. I'll probably try and get these precision cut when I order, which will save some measuring and cutting stress.

You can download the sketchup file from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11860746/back.skp