Author Topic: RIP Cosmic35  (Read 1506 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
RIP Cosmic35
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:41:15 PM »
On November 1st, 2011 at approximately 7:30 PM passed away my beloved Cosmic35. Like it's brothers, the Smena-8, it failed miserably after running only a single roll of film.

I had locked the shutter button and forgot about it. Then, like I often do, I went to wind the shutter only to hear a strange noise coming from it. And the deed was done. The shutter is now stuck open and the cocking lever is a bit loose.

Morale of the story, always read the instructions when using Russian cameras!

Now, my only camera made in the USSR is a paperweight...

Anyone knows how to remove the front bezel to access the shutter?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

Re: RIP Cosmic35
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 04:09:11 PM »
Sorry to hear of the death in the family  :(...but it seems a lot of them die prematurely.

Are there any tiny set screws on the front that would free it?

I just overhauled my Ilford Sporti and found the tiniest screws I've ever seen on it.

Maybe yours are similar and are teeny.... 

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »
I just looked at my shoebox (parts) Cosmic 35 and while I can't answer your question yet, you can have the shutter if you want it.  The winder and film counter were stuffed, but the shutter and lens are quite good, though the self-timer needs work. 

The whole shutter comes off with the two long screws in the rear and you can then, (I presume) access the shutter for a service via the three small screws in the rear.

Any use?

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
Mind, if you remove your shutter and change the speed dial, the shutter may close itself again.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 05:35:02 PM »
I already played quite a bit with it to no avail...
I've removed the lens from the body... the whole camera is surprisingly easy to service... except that for some stupid reason, the front bevel seems to be held with a security screw (spanner type) which is only visible when you remove the lens housing (the part with the finger grips)...

I'll have to find my Dremel and an old screwdriver to make a specialized bit just for that...

Edit:
I found some specialized screwdriver bits to take out spanner type screws... and the screw didn't budge... But I did manage to bend out of shape the brass helix (oops)... so now I'm really screwed!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:25:50 PM by Francois »
Francois

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »
Shutter and lens assembly still available.   ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
Thanks Sandeha... I'll have to think on it.
Francois

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
OK, I managed to get the darn thing open without further damaging it!
Here's a bit of an how to... sorry but no pictures.

The lens is held on the camera body with 2 screws that are accessible and clearly visible when the back is removed. When unscrewed, the lens will fall down to the ground so be careful.
Now, with a jeweler's screwdriver, you have to loosen 3 screws on the lens barrel. Don't remove them, it'll save you a ton of trouble later.
You now see the lens. Unscrew it completely out. You'll be able to re-focus it later since the camera has a B setting.
Then looking at the bottom of the lens, you'll see what looks like a strange screw with 2 tiny holes. Take a small drill and enlarge the holes enough to fit in a spanner type security screwdriver. Don't drill too far, just enough to get a grip. This isn't actually a screw but a rivet with a cam that is used to lock the top plate. Once the cam is set to open (there's a flat side), slightly rotate the front plate until both locking tabs align with little round notches in the lens barrel. Remote the top plate. You'll see the shutter speed adjustment plate with the different cams. Lift it straight up. Normally, nothing should jump out at you... unless the camera is broken. This means lift very slowly :)

OK, now, we're in the guts of the beast. The shutter is very simple and should be quite easy to maintain. On mine (and I suspect on many others), the design flaw resides in the shutter cocking lever. It is held in place by a single screw. To minimize friction, the hole in the lever is tapered in a V shape that rests on the edge of the retaining screw. While this works, mine actually wore out. When this happens, the lever jumps out of it's place and disengages the spring. I tried putting a small washer but it didn't work...

So, there you have it. You now know how to open these without screwing up everything.
When you reassemble everything, at the point where you put the lens on the camera, be sure you hold the camera vertically (like when using it)to make sure the shutter lever is in the right position to avoid binding on the shutter release pin.
Francois