Author Topic: knock-around rangefinder  (Read 14452 times)

Benjamin J

• 35mm
knock-around rangefinder
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
been here for resources before, but why not save hours spent on google and just ask?

i'm looking for a good knock-around camera, the kind you can just throw in your bag and take with you wherever you go.  currently i'm using my polaroid, but that's been getting pricey, and it'd be nice to have more film options.  so i figured a rangefinder would be my best bet for simplicity and ruggedness, and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

The FED5 seems like a pretty good option for the price, seeing as how it's a leica copy AND has a selenium meter---anyone ever use one of these?

Dave Dunne

• I post here to see what posting here looks like
    • Connect
Re: knock-around rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »
I haven't use a Fed but you should look into the Olympus XA. It is a very compact rangefinder camera and has a nice (fixed) f/2.8 lens.

It's a clamshell design so when it is closed up it is very robust so there'll be no problems throwing into a bag (or your pocket).

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »
Yashica's are also very good. Electro, Lynx, Minister and such can be quite surprising.
Also, Minolta's old Hi-Matic is pretty good.
All are fixed lens and very well built.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:39:56 PM »
What's your budget? Fixed focal length or zoom?

I've been hunting down a point and shoot for my holidays and have gone for for a Ricoh GR1s. Arguably better still is the Nikon 28Ti or 35Ti. I also like the Olympus XA1 and owned two down the years. The only issue I ever had with them was the shutter button packing up. Superb lens, though, and very pocketable. I have an old Voigtlander Perkeo I. Non-coupled rangefinder, manual everything but 120 film, tiny and a great lens.

Loads to choose from, you just have to peg down the specification a bit tighter.

Welcome, by the way. Hope to see some of your stuff. How about an intro........?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
L.

tuanhbui

• 35mm
    • lightcomesthrough
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »
@Late Developer:

i owned a nikon 35ti for a time. i really disliked it, as to disable the flash you had to hold down a tiny little badly-placed button on the front of the camera. very awkward to shoot with, though it did have a gorgeous set of dials on top.

i ended up selling it and replacing it with a much cheaper olympus stylus epic, which turned out to be a far superior picture-taking machine. much smaller and pocket-friendly, too.

as far as rangefinders go, i've never owned one and so cannot offer the original poster any guidance, sorry ):

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:04:07 PM »
@late developer

an intro shot? how bout this from july fourth, taken on my beloved FTb:

^^you gotta love SFX200^^

i'd lke to spend (a bit) less than $100, and i'm not much into auto settings.  that said, the hi-matic was probably my second choice in what i've found so far.  i did find a nice FED on ebay for about $60, comes with original leather bag too......  the only rangefinder i have is an argus.  it works well as a knock around, but i'm not sure i trust it terribly (plus, the only feature i'm looking for is a light meter, coupled or uncoupled, which the argus just does not have)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »
What about the Canonet ? I have one and I love it... :)
http://picturenoise.blogspot.com/search/label/Canon%20Canonet%2028
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:36:33 AM »
Ditto on Leon's link.

I also have an Olympus XA2, and it's fun, the previous owner clearly loved it (paint worn off at the thumbs), but it favors aperture over shutter speed, so motion blur isn't uncommon.

I also have a Ricoh 500G, which is like a poor man's Canonet, and it's a fantastic find if you find one, another $5 gem.

But, if I could have only one camera, it would be my Rollei 35 S. Not a true rangefinder, but just a jewel box of a camera. I did just buy an OpTech Digital D-Mini pouch, and it just barely fits, but it's perfect for tossing it in the bottom of a bag or pocket now.

Leon, I'm clearly going to have to pick up the Electro 35 Wide now, thank you very much. Like I needed another rangefinder.

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 06:50:07 AM »
it's perfect for tossing it in the bottom of a bag or pocket now

holy crap is it small!!!!!!  found a pic with the flash unit AND a matchstick

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »
i have a Ricoh 500G and its easy and fun to use. recently used a Himatic 7s and was very satisfied with the results. it produced sharp images even with not so good light conditions and does not require a battery to work although the meter needs it.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 09:09:53 AM »
I had a rollie 35 for a while - couldn't get on with it to use, although it was an amazing design. Aesthetically, it was great, but the lack of focus accuracy and size made it impractical for me. And it seemed wrong to put a clunky external RF on the top.

The lenses are super sharp though.
L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 09:50:02 AM »
My two favs are the Zorki6 with a Jupiter8 [and Industar 61 is excellent too] and the Petri7s. Petri7s - cheap with fixed focal length but nice to use and the rangefinder patch [on mine] is ok. The Zorki6 is fantastic but I did have it 'tickled to health' by Oleg. http://www.okvintagecamera.com

BTW; I sold my Rollei35 . Never got used to it!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
The Minox 35GT is a great camera. I have had one for years 35mm 2.8 lens and tack sharp. Aperture priority with the advantage that the lens colapses back into the camera when not in use and you can pick them up very cheaply.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=minox+35&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Lawrie

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »
An Olympus trip 35?  Stunning optics, rugged, fully automatic,  inexpensive and always ready to shoot!

Regards,

Lawrie.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
An Olympus trip 35?  Stunning optics, rugged, fully automatic,  inexpensive and always ready to shoot!

Regards,

Lawrie.

you can get a nice reconditioned one from here: http://www.tripman.co.uk/www.tripman.co.uk/home.php
L.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
I will vouch for the Petri 7S.  If you can find one with an accurate meter.  Mine rattled around in my backpack for three years, from one coast to the other, until I dropped it in Georgia. :-X

If you want a light meter though, really, you ought to get a hand held one.  So you can use it with all cameras.

Aside from the Petri, another of my favorites was the Ciro 35.  I used to always have one on me.

My only complaint about it, and why I more or less stopped using it, was because it has a triplet lens and just gave too soft photos in dull light.   But that aside I enjoyed using mine tons.  It's kind of like a better Argus C3.  Lever focus, smaller, lighter, more ergonomic to hold, larger viewfinder, better film transport (impossible to tear sprockets like on the Argus) - retains the ability to make double exposures, and of the three Ciros I have all of them have spot on rangefinders; something I can't say about any of the C3s.  It's also dead simple mechanically.  My only niggle besides the lens, is the shutter release is on the lens instead of the body.

I also had a Rollei 35 for a while, but never quite warmed up to it.  My ex-GF used it a bit though.  Perhaps if you have smaller hands it's more of a joy to use. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:17:37 PM by Flippy »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 12:33:26 PM »
the ultimate end to the Rollie 35 bashing:

was there ever a better reason to not own a camera?

edit: Incase it's not obvious from the picture, that is our (as in UK) scrounging monarch tax thief. My Pension probably paid for that camera.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:34:59 PM by leon taylor »
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 01:22:17 PM »

edit: Incase it's not obvious from the picture, that is our (as in UK) scrounging monarch tax thief. My Pension probably paid for that camera.  ;)

Well, she's only ever going to buy German, isn't she? Nothing against the Germans, mind you, it's just a bit rich (excuse the pun) that they change their surname to "Windsor" to blow smoke across their heritage and curry favour with the thick, flag-waving, jingoistic British populace who can't imagine a country without a monarchy.

Why couldn't Oliver Cromwell / parliament have done the job properly and taken out the lad who became Charles II (who all-but bankrupted the country single-handedly) at the same time as Charles I?? I can't believe we're in the 21st century and we're still having to bow and scrape to a non-elected figurehead (nothing more) in a semi-feudal system that isn't just perpetuating a "them and us" society but that, under the current "Con-Dem" junta, is actually widening the divide.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 01:24:36 PM »
Deep breaths now Paul.  Everything will look much better after a nice cup of tea.
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 01:27:10 PM »
Done the breathing exercises, Leon  ;)

Still can't abide the buggers, though....... >:(

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
On the bright side it's good for tourism.  ;)

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »

I can vouch for;

** Petri 7S
*** Fed 4
**** Trip35 (not an RF but other better)
***** Abolition of the Monachy

Long Live the Lord Protector !  (Can I still keep Christmas though and lets not start on about Ireland ...)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »
Andrea & Flippy: Good to know about the Petri. There's one local that's been tempting me.

As for the rest of you, I dread the day I drop my Rollei and destroy it (and you know the day is coming), and to think you let her slip out of your hands. What a shame. ;)

Here's the key with the Rollei, I think. You can't see the controls through the viewfinder, so top-down you go all left-brained and calculate the distance, set the aperture and shutter speed. Now you're set and you can shut that part of your brain off. Then you go all right-brained and start thinking about composition and the scene, shoot from the hip, squat, smile, whatever. Art or snap? Mono or color?

In some ways it feels more like shooting with a TLR than a rangefinder, except your focus will always be better with even a crappy TLR. :)

It's clearly a labor of love.

Good Morning by knapjack, on Flickr

Chinatown by knapjack, on Flickr

Yin & Yang by knapjack, on Flickr

Winter Passes by knapjack, on Flickr

Winding down by knapjack, on Flickr

Orange you serious? by knapjack, on Flickr

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 03:27:14 PM »
a great, small and actually rangefinder coupled 35mm camera is the Voitlander VF101.

picture by YET TO COME on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/98922823@N00/

I had one for quite a while and LOVED it ... had to sell as I wasn't using it enough and needed funds for LF camera gear.  They don't come up very often, but are quite overlooked, so you can get them at a reasonable price. It's not that much bigger than the Rollei 35.

some pics I took with it:

« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 03:28:54 PM by leon taylor »
L.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »
FFS not this boring anti-Monarchy whinging again?  Yawn!

Anyway, my vote is Canon P all the way!  
Mine replaced my Leica and I haven't looked back.  Build quality is comparable, VF and RF nice and bright.  Film easier to load.  It's a bit smaller than the M6 and a bit lighter.  AND it's got a self timer on it, yay!  And the niftiest rewind crank.

Cost me about 1/10th of the price I sold the Leica for.  Bargain!

Woohoo!  
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »
so, after many enthusiastic replies, i've decided to go with a yashica electro 35 GSN!  with a lens that fast, the glass was too good to pass up.  can't wait for it to arrive so i can run a roll through it

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »
You can also get some pretty decent lens adapters for the Yashica 35 Electro - there's a wide angle and a telephoto version. Not very large and will all pack up into a small bag.

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 08:42:04 AM »
+1 for the yashica electro 35. i have the GSN version and it's one of my favorite cameras. Feels tough yet weighs very little. Lens is pretty sharp and fast, too.

also, +1 for the olympus trip 35. the focusing on it drives me nuts but its a VERY nice little p&s.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 11:18:14 AM »
I don't anyone has mentioned the Olympus 35RC, basically a rangefinder version of the Trip 35, I love mine.

Olympus 35RC by Morinaka_2010, on Flickr

and it's even smaller than the Trip.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
edit: Incase it's not obvious from the picture, that is our (as in UK) scrounging monarch tax thief. My Pension probably paid for that camera. 

:)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 03:47:25 AM »
At work today I ran into a guy with one of the new rolleis, and he actually recommended the electro 35 & the canonette.  He was brazilian, so we had an interesting/awkward conversation about cameras.  Brief, international, and enlighteing

DaveO

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 07:30:11 PM »

Well, she's only ever going to buy German, isn't she? Nothing against the Germans, mind you, it's just a bit rich (excuse the pun) that they change their surname to "Windsor" to blow smoke across their heritage and curry favour with the thick, flag-waving, jingoistic British populace who can't imagine a country without a monarchy.

Why couldn't Oliver Cromwell / parliament have done the job properly and taken out the lad who became Charles II (who all-but bankrupted the country single-handedly) at the same time as Charles I?? I can't believe we're in the 21st century and we're still having to bow and scrape to a non-elected figurehead (nothing more) in a semi-feudal system that isn't just perpetuating a "them and us" society but that, under the current "Con-Dem" junta, is actually widening the divide.

I don't think there are any cameras made in England, so whatever she has came from somewhere else.

DaveO

DaveO

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Andrea & Flippy: Good to know about the Petri. There's one local that's been tempting me.

As for the rest of you, I dread the day I drop my Rollei and destroy it (and you know the day is coming), and to think you let her slip out of your hands. What a shame. ;)

Here's the key with the Rollei, I think. You can't see the controls through the viewfinder, so top-down you go all left-brained and calculate the distance, set the aperture and shutter speed. Now you're set and you can shut that part of your brain off. Then you go all right-brained and start thinking about composition and the scene, shoot from the hip, squat, smile, whatever. Art or snap? Mono or color?

The color on the last two color pics was really good. What film was used? I have a Rollei 35S too, were these taken with a Rollei 35?

DaveO

In some ways it feels more like shooting with a TLR than a rangefinder, except your focus will always be better with even a crappy TLR. :)

It's clearly a labor of love.

Good Morning by knapjack, on Flickr

Chinatown by knapjack, on Flickr

Yin & Yang by knapjack, on Flickr

Winter Passes by knapjack, on Flickr

Winding down by knapjack, on Flickr

Orange you serious? by knapjack, on Flickr

Bastian

• 35mm
    • Bastian Schramm - Photographer
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »
Be careful with that Yashica Electro. They are beautiful and gorgeous cameras when they work. But when they don't work it's extremly hard to fix them. The shutter of these is very fragile, you may want to have a look if the shutter opens completly by holding the camera against a strong light with the back open and then release it a few times at f/1.7. The shutter has to be perfectly round when it opens. If the shutter is once stuck it's very hard to get it to work again.
Also the camera has a quadzillion of cables in it, and they all tend to break after 30 years of use, and even when it seems like it, it's not a very though camera, the mechanics are quite weak.

You also may want to check if the pad of death is ok good. If it isn't it's a pain in the ass to dissassemble the whole camera.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 10:26:12 PM »
I actually have a dead Electro.
The issues you often find with them are broken aperture blade pivots (which show when you look closely at the lens either with an open shutter or simply through the back).
The other problem is that the Electro uses an electric shutter. If for some reason power doesn't get to the lens and trigger the solenoid, all you'll get is a lot of very dark and moody shots :)
Francois

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 10:30:54 PM »
I haven't checked the pad, but i always check shutters. the mechanism seems to be functioning pretty perfectly, and there's no fogging for fungus in the lens.  actually, the one i pulled off ebay seems to be in nearly PERFECT condition (not something i've come to expect when purchasing non-refurbished used cameras).  this is actually their first automated camera i've bought, and was a little nervous about not being able to check the aperture myself, but my first test roll is drying right now and all seems to have gone well.  looks like i had some issues with the metering at extremely low light, but i guess that's what bulb is for.

i will mind those cables though

@ francois
this is why i prefer manual cameras. NO problems on my 40+ yashica mat

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2011, 03:40:29 AM »
I still feel a pang when I think about leaving my Rollei 35 on the bumper of my car after a hike over the Mount Lafayette ridge in New Hampshire some 25 years ago.  Yes, the roll of exposed film was still within.

Nowadays, I use a Canonet QL17 as a bang-about pocket camera.  It's a solid performer.  Here is a snap made with from one of my trips to Portugal.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Paul H

• 35mm
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
Another vote for the Ricoh 500G.  Shutter priority AE with a battery, or manual without.  There is also a Sears labelled version.  The seals usually need replacing, but that is not a hard job.  They look pretty cool too.

If you want really small, but can make do without the RF, the Minox 35GT is a decent little camera.  They don't have the greatest reputation for robustness though, usually down to sticky shutters.  This can be fixed with a CLA.

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 04:04:45 AM »
i have used the electro 35 gsn and it has a great lens, one thing i don't like about is not able to set the shutter speed. although it meters great, I have a 35 GS i'm selling with an erratic shutter in low light conditions. so its really down on how the shutter and aperture blades survives to have a great buy with the gsn or gs.

my brother recently picked up a Petri 7s, looks like a great camera and would like to test it out soon.

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 05:41:11 AM »
I like the Ricoh 500G as well for a cheap RF, a very cute small camera... but has gnarly light trap foam, viewfinder lower right corner is partly blocked by the lens barrel. Did I mention it was a cute camera? ;D

My favorite, Konica Auto S2, i like them better than the canonet.
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 06:03:53 AM »
    The color on the last two color pics was really good. What film was used? I have a Rollei 35S too, were these taken with a Rollei 35?

Yep, all with the Rollei. The first three are Ilford XP2 Super, last three should be Kodak Ektar 100, Fuji Superia 800, and the last Ektar 100 again.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:05:25 AM by Jack Johnson »

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »
Petri 7 is great but I tend to favour the Trip 35 over it as even without an RF it out performs most RF's. Again, no batteries too .

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 02:45:25 AM »
my aunt came to visit me at work during my test roll, and while this photo isn't anything spectacular, i gotta say the lens on the electro has amazing resolving power and RAZOR sharp focus. as good as any normal lens i've encountered

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »
Or you could go scale focusing - as with the Rollei - and get a Kodak Retinette 1b for about 2/6 d [Old British money] with a lovely sharp lens, reliability and un-coolness to boot. Added to which I don't think The royal Firm ever had or used one.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 02:33:55 PM »
I can vouch for the Retinettes too. My mom has one and all my childhood pictures were taken with it. The lens on it is a Schneider, so quality wise it's pretty good.

I've also got a small Voigtlander Vito B which I just love... but don't get to take it out often enough as it's a pretty sweet picture taking machine.

Right now, I'm trying out an Olympus Pen EES... but bow does it take long to finish a roll in these!

As usual, they're all guesstometer type cameras. But if you insist on a real rangefinder, you could go for an Argus C3 (a.k.a. The Brick). These cameras are built very solid, have a real rangefinder and a ton of quirks you're bound to find interesting... They also have changeable lenses.
Francois

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
I have the cheaper Rollei 35 - the B35. Got it second hand back in 1984 as a camera to carry out in the hills and on the bike . It's the camera I decided to carry in my rear pocket for the L'Eroica ride

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »
I have the cheaper Rollei 35 - the B35. Got it second hand back in 1984 as a camera to carry out in the hills and on the bike . It's the camera I decided to carry in my rear pocket for the L'Eroica ride

Yes, but it did look seriously uncool :-) You should have taken my baby graphic around. You are getting soft in your old age Sir!

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
my aunt came to visit me at work during my test roll, and while this photo isn't anything spectacular, i gotta say the lens on the electro has amazing resolving power and RAZOR sharp focus. as good as any normal lens i've encountered

I think you'll find it is an incredibly capable camera.  My only problem with the Yashicas is their size.

Windy

• Sheet Film
  • aka Ian
    • my flickr
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 09:52:42 AM »

Yes, but it did look seriously uncool :-) You should have taken my baby graphic around. You are getting soft in your old age Sir!

Me, uncool? You're thinking of the wrong person ;)

(actually I was uncool, I was very hot on account of 40C sunshine and the ride)