Author Topic: Favorite Film?  (Read 6295 times)

astrobeck

Favorite Film?
« on: February 11, 2007, 01:15:55 AM »
Just curious what your favorite film is and why?

Ilford and T-Max for my 120 and 4x5 cameras

Kodak Gold 200 for my 35mm (when I shoot color)
   I know Kodak Gold is not the best stuff on the planet, but you can buy it almost anywhere in the US.

astrobeck

kuru

• camera addict
    • serpent factory
Re: Favorite Film?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 01:28:07 AM »
I've been shooting ilford 120 a lot lately.

Fuji Astia and expired Kodak Lumiere because it cross processes beautifully.

Polaroid Type 669 because of everything you can do with it.
Kevin Pointer
serpent factory

Ron

• Alt Photos
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 01:54:05 AM »
For 4x5, Ilford HP5 Plus for its moderate speed and simplicity.  Polaroid Type 55 - there's just nothing else like it  ;)
For 120 stuff Ilford XP Super is unmatched for its versatility.  It prints quite well in the darkroom, can be dropped off anywhere that does C41 120 and is extremely forgiving.  Color-wise, I really like the Kodak Portra stuff (NC & VC).  I have had nice results with my Holga using both  8)

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 02:42:03 AM »
hmm ilford  HP5 for most things
ilford delta 3200 for extra light
Agfa RsxII for cross processing
And my favorite all time but I cant really affors
Polaroid type 55 for my 4 x 5 Yummy yummy :)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 03:01:18 AM »
Polaroid Type 55 - there's just nothing else like it  ;)
 For 120 stuff Ilford XP Super is unmatched for its versatility.
 Color-wise, I really like the Kodak Portra stuff (NC & VC).

Almost the same here: Type-665 for my Polaroid (the pack film version of the sheet Type-55), XP2 (C41 onto CD in 30 mins, who needs a digital camera?), but for color I go for either FujiPro 400, or perhaps Fortia...

artpunk

• Life is absurd, but beautiful!
    • The Plastic Lens
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 03:50:56 AM »
Any of the Fuji 160 colour negative film for colour medium format photography (but I'm fond of the VC)  Kodak 400CN B&W C-41 film for B&W results in my medium format (to be honest, I haven't used much else, but will when I get my act together and start developing my own) I also prefer Fuki film for my 35mm photography.
With my Polaroids I like 679 for colour and 664 & 667 for B&W  in the 3.25 x 4,25 in. (8.5 x 10.8 cm) format. 84 and 89 for B&W & Colour respectively in the square format.
(really with Polaroid film I'll use anything I can get though, preferably if it's budget priced!) - never used the pos-neg polaroid film, can't get hold of it much in the land of Oz, unless you want to extend your mortgage!
 8)
...the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe'
theplasticlens

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 04:55:42 AM »
Ilford---all four flavors. But mostly FP4.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 10:36:36 AM »
Fuji Acros and Neopan - though I'm considering a switch over to the Ilford Delta films.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 10:54:16 AM »
Ilford - as good as any and need our support!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 01:55:42 PM »
Leon Taylor uses ILFORD (TM) Films

;D ;) ;D
L.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 02:25:46 PM »
for me it really depends on the camera..

holga/diana usually 400 kodak films.

older vintage cameras usually 160 fuji colour films.

35mm in medium format cameras usually fuji superia x-tra(though i'm running a roll of kodak gold in my starflex to see how it works)

redscale: usually fuji superia x-tra(this(at 200 ASA) as well as konica 35mm can be found around here for less than 2 bucks a roll)

cross-processing: it depends on what kind of colour shift i'm after.

for bw i usually shoot tmx but that's because sometimes it's all i can find around here(at least for medium format), but i did pick up a roll of fuji neopan acros to see how well that works.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »
I like Fuji Across and Fortepan 100 mostly. For color, anything works. I like expired stuff.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 06:03:36 PM »
For my color work, I usually settle on what I can find cheap around here.
I've been using a lot of Kodak Gold 200 ever since they switched to the new formula in the late 90's. The neutral balance is pleasing to my eye. Especially since I found a store who was liquidating the films for less than 1$ a roll... I'll be shooting Gold for quite a while (I have many rolls in the freezer :) ).
I also have a few rolls of my local grocery store's brand film to finish shooting (I think they are Konica, their plastic containers are the same).

I did have a love for the old Agfa Ultra... but it was incredibly expensive (8$ a roll in 35mm) and hard to find. I did buy some a few times... just like expensive chocolates...

I also shot a lot of cheap Dollar store film in my toys (they stopped carrying it). I must say I was truly impressed by the results. It was Likon 200 Super, made in China. The lab had a hard time balancing the color shift (they didn't have profiles) but it did have a nice quality. Though I don't know about the life of the dyes used...

As for B&W, I used a lot of T-Max 100 and quite loved the 3200's grain (even though it also was hard to find and quite expensive). But still, good old Tri-X is hard to beat. I know it's not always the best but it definitely has some personality.

I never used much Ilford film, only their papers which have always been easy to find and very popular around here.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 08:31:47 PM »
I definately have to say Polaroid Time Zero ( SX-70 ) was my fave. I loved the color, and the fact that you could manipulate it into something special made it dear to my heart. Still not over the fact they killed it off :( :( :(

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 08:39:30 PM »
Death in Venice.

Or HP5+

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 08:49:19 PM »
Agfa RSX II for cross-processing (only have a few rolls left, sniff).
Agfa Ultra for deeply saturated colour negs (only have a few rolls left, sniff).
Since the re-launch of the company I've been convinced to switch to Ilford for all my b/w needs. I mainly use FP4.
If I want more exotic film to get me excited I'll try most things by ADOX 'cos they're wacky.
For lovely, muted 70's colour tones I load any of my MF cameras with Kodak Portra VC or NC.

Finally, like a lot of others here I'm also a sucker for a variety of Polaroid/Fuji instant films esp 665 and 55, but 57 is close 2nd.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 09:31:09 PM »
Is it just me or we're all a bit the same:

We have favorite films.
We are willing to try out any strange emulsion that comes our way.
If it's cheap, it goes direct from store to freezer no matter what it is.
If it's been gathering dust for a long time... we try it anyways just to see what we can get out of it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

FrankB

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 09:38:01 PM »
I'm quite faithful when it comes to film and chems.

When I'm going out especially for a shoot I pack lots and lots of Ilford Delta 100 135/120. For just general walking around I usually have a Rollei 35S in my pocket loaded with Ilford Delta 400 (more DoF for the zone focusser, although I usually rate it at ISO 200 with the in-built meter - early days, still experimenting).

All the B&W gets souped in Paterson Aculux 2.

Very occasionally I'll shoot colour in which case it's Fuji all the way - Velvia 50 for landscapes and flower macros, Provia 100F for general purpose, Provia 400 if I'm stuck for light and Astia for portraits.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 09:42:25 PM by FrankB »

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 10:05:57 PM »
Where you getting your Aculux2 Mr B ?

FrankB

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 10:24:19 PM »
Just a hair before the stock dried up I managed to nab a few bottles from Mr CAD. It should last me until Aculux 3 is available (soon according to the Paterson website) and possibly a bit longer if I don't like whatever changes they've made.

I wish I could point you at an ongoing supply, but...  :(

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 09:30:45 PM »
fuji neopan 400 - love the smooth tonality, and great for pushing - this was at 800 developed in ilford microphen

overall favourite though is Ilford FP4

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Aline

• Aline Smithson Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 04:28:14 AM »
I usually use Ilford HP5, but also love Fuji Neopan--all 120
Aline

Nicole BM

• Nicole Boenig-McGrade
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 02:27:16 PM »
That's a difficult one for me to answer. I shoot with 120 and 35mm. I love various films for various reasons. TriX for it's versatility, Agfa APX = my biggest loss in the past couple of years!!!, Delta is very sweet and Neopan gives an awesome punch. My subject determines which film I use at the time. And then the type of developer is crucial to the final look. Here are some examples.

1) Delta 400
2) Agfa APX 400
3) TriX 400
4) Neopan 400
5) Neopan 1600

[attachment deleted by admin]