Author Topic: Expired Ilford 4x5 - Results  (Read 5013 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Expired Ilford 4x5 - Results
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
Here are the some test results from a very expired Ilford 4x5 I got from evilbay few weeks ago...not bad at all considering the film is 50 years old!

They were vacuum sealed when arrived and I believe it helped to store them in great condition as they're not fogged or faded, the grains are not noticeable either.

The film is the FP3 125 and I followed instructions to process as if it was the FP4, pre-soaked for a couple of minutes and then processed using Rodinal 1:100 in my Combi Plan. The developing time was increased from 20 to 28 minutes, inverting the tank continuously for the first minute and then one very gently inversion every 30 seconds.

The images were scanned at 1200 dpi and I only adjusted levels and curves, no sharpening. I enhanced some details so they can be better seen, normally you get to see the grains especially on the sky area but on these ones they're almost unnoticed.

The little spot on the top left corner of each negative is in fact a tiny hole, probably to make easy to hang when drying...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:55:01 PM by sapata »
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Expired Ilford 4x5 - Results
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:01:20 PM »
That is fine grain!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 02:57:57 AM »
Thats unbelievable, Over 40 years old and works just fine! Did you have to use any defogger?

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:19:33 AM »
amazing! Have you thought about contacting Ilfordphoto to let them know.  They announced a similar story a while ago about a roll of exposed hp2 (I think) that was found in a drawer - developed and the pictures were still fine. I'm sure they'd want to know and share that their film from 50 years ago is still of superb quality.

You can email them through their website.

L.

Jon Butler

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:37:30 AM »
In those days Ilford film took some beating and IMO the same holds true today.
J.
JON BUTLER - CREATIVE IMAGERY

I Prefer it in the Dark.   http://real-silver-prints.com/

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »
Impressive... that reminds me the story of a light bulb that has been working for more than 100 years.

http://www.centennialbulb.org/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:44:28 AM by calbisu »

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 08:23:18 AM »
Bravo Sapata... Makes me want to break out the 73 vintage Ilford 120 I have stashed away...

Rgds

Mlr
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Chris A Fraser

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
Wow. Those results are great. I would never guess the film was 50 years old. wow.
A Dad, A Photographer, A Baker

http://helloterminalcity.blogspot.com/

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »
Amazing! I wonder if CF and SD cards will be readable in 2065?

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Terry

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 03:05:26 PM »
Well done Mauricio; that's pretty incredible.  I've been waiting to shoot some tri-x from 1972--you've given me hope!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 03:49:22 PM »
Amazing! I wonder if CF and SD cards will be readable in 2065?
Normally, they're good for 5 years... and the kids will forever wonder what those little plastic slabs with metal strips are for... what's 1gb... probably the name of the company that made it. What were they used for? I don't know, maybe they were some sort of trading card... I wonder what happens when I plug a battery onto it... well, that's boring...
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 05:07:10 PM »
Thats unbelievable, Over 40 years old and works just fine! Did you have to use any defogger?
Thanks Leon!
No, I didn't... I know I should but I couldn't wait to try so I went with what I have ;)

amazing! Have you thought about contacting Ilfordphoto to let them know.  They announced a similar story a while ago about a roll of exposed hp2 (I think) that was found in a drawer - developed and the pictures were still fine. I'm sure they'd want to know and share that their film from 50 years ago is still of superb quality.

You can email them through their website.
Thanks Leon... ;) I've been in touch with them in the past four days about some bulk cine film I bought (from the same seller actually) in order to get more information, I'll definitely let them know about this one as well...

Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
Mauricio,it doesnt look like the film is fogged at all! thats increfible,i though you def used defogger
..awesome

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 03:56:37 AM »
No defogger!  Just amazing results!!!  Do let Ilford know :)

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »
:D I have a box of HP3 too! Did yours have the sort of orange-y interleaving papers between the sheets of film too? Mine wasn't vac-packed and it did have a little bit of "peppering" but not too bad considering the age. It had quite a bit of base-fog though so I haven't used it much. Requires lots of overexposure.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »
Probably does... I've still got to finish a roll of 120 that expired in 1997 and I'm exposing the roll of 100 ISO film at a slo-mo EI 36... Still 3 shots to go so we'll see.
Francois

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
:D I have a box of HP3 too! Did yours have the sort of orange-y interleaving papers between the sheets of film too? Mine wasn't vac-packed and it did have a little bit of "peppering" but not too bad considering the age. It had quite a bit of base-fog though so I haven't used it much. Requires lots of overexposure.

I did overexposured a bit Heather and yes... it comes with the papers in between the sheets, in my case black. What I really like is the little hole close to the notch to hang the film to dry :)
Sorry... I mentioned HP3 before but in fact the film is FP3 :P
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:56:32 PM by sapata »
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com