Author Topic: tmax developer  (Read 1248 times)

Nick Moys

• Peel Apart
tmax developer
« on: August 24, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »
Background: Inspired in part by Mooninsean's excellent recent blog post on different black and white films, I'm currently experimenting with tmax 100 and 400 in both 35mm and 120, which I intend to process in tmax developer.

Dumb question (it's a long time since I did school boy chemistry): Kodak's data sheets say for 1 litre of working solution (1+4) the capacity is 4 films, then the next 4 films add 1 minute and for the last 4 films add 2 minutes to developing time.  I am right in thinking that if I make up 500ml of working solution (to suit my developing tank) then the film capacity for each development time is also halved ???

Not quite so dumb question (as normally I use one-shot developers): Any views on the pros and cons of re-using tmax developer, or alternatively using it as a one-shot at greater dilution, in terms of negative quality?

Thanks in advance. :)

Nick

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: tmax developer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »
I use Tmax developer for pushing Tri-X and Neopan 1600, and it works great.  I just use the same 4+1 500ml batch twice.  I know that doesn't answer your question, but that's what I'm here for.   :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »
I am right in thinking that if I make up 500ml of working solution (to suit my developing tank) then the film capacity for each development time is also halved ???
I feel it probably is right...
I find it strange that they say to simply add 1 minute without taking temperature into account...
Personally, I use HC110 these days. It works well and keeps forever in concentrate form since it doesn't contain any water.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:02:11 AM »
I am quite an ignorante when it comes to darkroom. But I am using the massive development chart application for iphone, and works superbly. It let you adjust the temperature, liquids dilution.. At the beginning I would try the developer to be at 21 degrees by putting ices on a tray... now I just adjust the temperature and development time is modified accordingly, my house is always at 29 degrees so now is much easier. As hookstrapped said: "I know that doesn't answer your question.."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:05:15 AM by calbisu »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:39 AM »
I do 1:1 strength with d76 and toss it after use. I think when I've used tmax, I did the same. May get you more rolls and you don't have to worry about adjusting for reuse.

I've bee messing about with hc110 and have mixed feelings about it. Is somewhat inconsistent and much more sensitive to agitation and dev time. Seems to produce a general low contrast negative, though keeps detail in high and low areas.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
Well, hc110 is a very fast acting developer. I love it because of that. Using a greater dilution will lengthen the times and should make it less sensitive to variations in agitation.
I can't remember quite who around here uses it at dilution H and doubles processing times...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.