Author Topic: last weekend  (Read 3070 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
last weekend
« on: February 05, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »
After an evening of looking at and talking about photography on Saturday, I was inspired to take some pictures in the bright february light that was promised for sunday .... but in reality, there was only grey mist hanging too high to be useful and too dense to let the sun shine through.  Instead of letting the enthusiasm slip - I went out anyway and challenged myself to take at least one shot.  I came back with a whole reel and developed them straight away.

Here are the results - some work, some dont, but I quite like the process of shooting when I wouldnt normally do so.

Comments are, as always welcome :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
L.

FrankB

Re: last weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 01:03:51 PM »
IMHO...

'Botany Pebble' might need a little more work to extract its full potential but 'Botany Cliffs' is (for me) the killer from this series. Very nice!

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 01:33:40 PM »
Leon, you're just too committed. I took one look at the stunning light that was beginning to appear over Brighton on Sunday morning - and went back to bed!

Not a bad morning's work, even if the light wasn't what you had hoped it might be. I'm with Frank - Botany Cliffs is the winner for me, too.

yola10go

• 35mm
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 01:52:17 PM »
These look good, i like the first picture of the cliffs better,  I do think the maybe the cliffs need a bit burning in on both though.  I I like the third one as well , but that mystery streak needs to be blended a bit more.  I wish our beaches were so pretty here!

erika

Susan B.

• Global Moderator
  • Sheet Film
    • susanburnstine.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 04:37:09 PM »
I agree with Frank that Botany Pebble might need some more post, BUT it's my favorite of the bunch!

I commend you, as always.

aboot

• hitting the ground
    • aaron boot photography
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »
Here are the results - some work, some don't, but I quite like the process of shooting when I wouldn't normally do so.

i have to say, i agree with your thoughts completely about shooting when you normally wouldn't do so.  the one thing i've learned through photography is to always challenge yourself and find things you normally wouldn't find under different circumstances.  i think i discovered this through the classes i've taken on photography where i am forced into taking shots that i normally wouldn't.  it's a great exercise and you'll find yourself discovering not only why you shoot what you do, but who you are.  deep stuff, i know.

i love your first image... very nice light and well composed.  i also love the simplicity of the bottom two... there is kind of a security about them but also a sense of loss.  so i'm collectively lost (which also describes me in a nutshell).  they might be nice as a diptych...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:12:02 PM by aboot »

dave miller

• An English Eye
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 06:11:02 PM »
Leon, you're just too committed. I took one look at the stunning light that was beginning to appear over Brighton on Sunday morning - and went back to bed!

Not a bad morning's work, even if the light wasn't what you had hoped it might be. I'm with Frank - Botany Cliffs is the winner for me, too.

Went back to bed!!!!!!!!! :o WENT BACK TO BED. >:( You could have developed a film. What are we going to do with you? ???

Nice snaps Leon, glad to see someone isn't wasting their life lazing in bed. :)
regards
Dave

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:19:13 PM »
Stunning shots all of them.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 08:54:53 AM »

Went back to bed!!!!!!!!! :o WENT BACK TO BED. >:( You could have developed a film. What are we going to do with you? ???

Nice snaps Leon, glad to see someone isn't wasting their life lazing in bed. :)

I know, I know. Something's telling me I have commitment issues here...

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 07:43:21 PM »
Botanypeeble for me Leon - shame about the very dark patch top rightish but a great image very well composed!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 01:48:35 PM »
Botanycliffs2 is my immediate favourite but botanypebble I think has the potential to be a stunner. As always great to see your work in this way....something I need to build up to being the shy retiring thing I am...one of these days! Good on ya for getting out there and shooting when you wouldn't normally, it's so easy to talk yourself out of it, I do it all the time.

eddie

• Peel Apart
    • monosnaps
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 08:10:21 PM »
A  lovely portfolio of images , I especially like the beautiful reflections in the first image. I,d  say the soft light helped. I  am sure it will make a beautiful print.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 12:18:06 PM »
From a messy photographer like me, they all make my head spin with detail and feeling. Nice. I like seeing the ideas develop... Arigato. Skj.