Author Topic: Throughout the window 1  (Read 3954 times)

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Throughout the window 1
« on: October 09, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »
Windows are figurative and real ways to look what surround us from the safety of our homes. What the windows offer us is relevant because, no matter what, rain, mist, snow, blazing sun, they never fail to offer us that slice of reality.

These images that I post here are a recollection of shots that I made during my one year stay in Manila, in the Philippines; all made either from my apartment at the 28th floor or from the hall that drives to it. A group of images that were made with no intention to make a collection. It was only after this year that I realized I had made several images with something in common: the wonder of living close to the sky.

These three images are a sequence from one of my apartmentĀ“s windows at the 28th floor hall. Down, not visible from the images, there is the park where almost every evening I would accompany Elena and Alma after work. A green spot in this dehumanized metropolis of 17 million people. They day will come when people will take what is theirs. The day will come when people will not be obliged to run from cars, to cover their ears from hurling horns.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:24:20 PM by calbisu »

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: Throughout the window 1
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »
This group of images have an obvious common theme: that colossus that stands as a sentinel, day and night, in front of my bedroom. The first thing I see in the morning and the last thing I see when I fall sleep. When dark, two windows, on top of it, always remain open, restless vigilant he is.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:23:17 PM »
South East Asian countries enjoy two seasons: dry and wet. And both are deeply accused. When storms head this part of the city where I live, I can seem them approaching at lightning speed; engulfing everything that falls under them. It would be too easy to let them vanish you, leaving no trace behind.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »
Is that how birds see ?

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »
Hi Calbisu,
I was lucky enough to visit Manilla and the Phillipines about 4 years ago. 

It is a crazy city with so many sides to it and so many contrasts, particularly rich and poor in parts. I very much enjoyed my time there. 

I also have a polaroid from many floors up from where I was staying in Manilla, before we visited some of the other islands.

thanks for sharing.

rpmdrd

• rpmdrd
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
carlos, great perspective on windows.

i appreciate on how non-filipinos share their experience living or visiting the Philippines whether it might be good or bad.  hope you had a blast while living here in manila and exploring other locations.

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »
Hey Calbisu I really like the third sequence with the storms from the window. Water hitting the windows. The view disapearing. A nice perspective. Thanks for sharing.