Author Topic: Fuji Acros 100 in 120, why so cheap?  (Read 3288 times)

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Fuji Acros 100 in 120, why so cheap?
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
I went shopping at lunch for a new camera strap and a red filter for an Iskra, and ended up just buying more film. Originally I grabbed a roll of FP4+, but then I saw the price on the Acros and it was easily 30% cheaper.

I like supporting Ilford, and I like FP4+, but Acros is a damn fine film and I couldn't resist the price. I think it might be cheaper in 120 than any roll of B&W in 35mm.

Any guesses why there might be such a noticeable price difference? It seems the last time I bought Acros the roles were reversed and the Ilford films were cheaper.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Fuji Acros 100 in 120, why so cheap?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 08:40:59 AM »
Off-topic note on the Iskra, I popped the top cap last night to clean the rangefinder and the frame counter window, and found a Cyrillic Ч (I think) etched into one of the pieces.

Based on the serial number, the camera was made in '62, so you know, Bay of Pigs, dead of winter in the Cold War. I keep thinking there was this random person out there making this random camera, and no way were they thinking that a half-century later some American guy would be using it. I wonder if he or she is still alive.

There's an old Nike Ajax missile site not far from town, and I'm totally going to take pictures of its remains with the Iskra, if only for the irony to think about the billions we spent to prevent that camera from taking that picture.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:43:37 AM by Jack Johnson »

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »
There's an old Nike Ajax missile site not far from town, and I'm totally going to take pictures of its remains with the Iskra, if only for the irony to think about the billions we spent to prevent that camera from taking that picture.

What a cracking idea and can't wait to see the results.

Have been hankering after an Iskra for a while, I already have a Super Isolette and often thought it would be nice to have a similar camera so that I can have one for B&W and one for colour  :)

Great to see what the winding mechanism looks like, I believe that once this goes it's virtually impossible to repair...

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:33 AM »
Keep your voice down Jack, they'll put the prices up!

I noticed Acros was cheap on 7dayshop too, no idea why - it's very nice film.

Just had a quick Google and it looks like Acros pushes OK so I might stock up on it instead of Neopan?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:26:52 AM by choppert »
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

astrobeck

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
Wow!
That's even cheaper than the "Arista" that I always buy at Freestyle!
And ACROS is a nice film--I'm going to stock up a bit.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »
yes its a really good film with little or no reciprocity failure for longer exposures!!

I havew a nice little stash in the freezer for when im finished with the foma200  ;D

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »
It's been years I don't buy any Ilford films...  Fuji Across is excellent and the price is great! (£2.80 for over 10 rolls - it's £5.62 for a single roll of Ilford).

Adox 100 it's supposed to be a good film as well (£2.88) although I haven't tried yet. I'm on a dilemma of which one to buy before I go on holidays...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »
Given that Neopan 400 has always been my favourite dev'd in DDX, Acros comes in at #2.  Though I always, always cut the recommended dev time.

I think the pricing is related to exchange rates.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:26:50 PM »
Not sure about the exchange rate thing on fuji prices, because all Fuji film costs about twice as much in Japan as it does in the US. Acros is one of my favorite films...good, consistent results and half the price of kodak film typically.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »
Not sure about the exchange rate thing on fuji prices, because all Fuji film costs about twice as much in Japan as it does in the US. Acros is one of my favorite films...good, consistent results and half the price of kodak film typically.

A marketing thing, then?  I have heard that Ilford is more expensive in the UK than elsewhere.