Author Topic: Pics  (Read 4696 times)

DaveO

Pics
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:25:25 AM »
    I am unable to post photos because they are larger than the 300kb limit. How do you re-size them before posting.

DaveO

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Pics
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »
Hi Dave, it depends on what type of operating system you're using and what image editing software you're using. Google is always a good starting point:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+resize+images

You can make the search more specific to your situation by adding extra search criteria such as "Photoshop" "Windows Vista" "Gimp" etc.

Good luck.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »
If you use Picasa, you go File-Export Pictures to Folder
Select Resize to and put something like 600 pixels (good enough)
Image quality Normal

That should put you in the ballpark
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

DaveO

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »
     It's too bad the forum doesn't have the ability to re-size pics within it.

DaveO

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
Well... there's also Picnik... for what it's worth...
Francois

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
I've found photoresizer from  http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize useful.

Mike

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »
To be very clear on this; the forum re-sizes photos in terms of display...it just doesn't reduce the size of the file itself.

DaveO: Do you not have any image editing software at your disposal at all? How are you getting the analogue image onto your computer in the first place?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »
I've found photoresizer from  http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize useful.

Mike

Nice find!
I'm definitely adding this on my computer.
It reminds me of the Photoshop Droplets... only a gazillion times faster.

DaveO: Do you not have any image editing software at your disposal at all? How are you getting the analogue image onto your computer in the first place?
I was wondering the same thing... using only an online graphics editor seems a bit minimalistic to me when I consider all the ton of great opensource/freeware stuff that's out there...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:40:03 PM by Francois »
Francois

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
there is also this:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Which is:
  • hella cool
  • awesomely powerful
  • command line driven (because I increasingly feel the same way about computers as I do about cameras. )
  • open source

(but a tad on the geeky side. I've been using it a lot at work to resize, convert format and add watermarks to 1000's of boring images)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:02:25 PM by DS »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »
There's also XNconvert... but this time with a GUI :)
Francois

DaveO

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:03:26 PM »
To be very clear on this; the forum re-sizes photos in terms of display...it just doesn't reduce the size of the file itself.

I've been having a CD made when I develop the film. I didn't think the files were that big of the images. They seem to be just over 800kb which is too large for the forum. Someone on another forum gave me the pixlr editor address which can be used online only. I tried down loading one free software that edits and it downloaded a bunch of software that I didn't want that keeps trying to take over my computer. One of them is Bing, I can't seem to find where it is to get rid of it.

DaveO

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »
Bing should be the Microsoft search engine add-on. There should be an uninstaller in the add-remove programs app in the control panel (possibly called the Bing Bar).

I've been using freeware and open source software for so long I'm starting to think I'm somewhat a reference on good cheap software. One word would be to just uninstall the stuff you don't want on your computer and ask for the name of the good software.

Do you have a good antivirus? Getting a clean machine is the best ways to start making a good photo setup.
Francois

DaveO

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »
     I have Norton 360 running on my computer. I usually manually run it every day.

DaveO

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:52 PM »
Not too bad a program and quite reliable (though quite heavy). If your subscription is over and you don't want to pay for a renewal, there's the Microsoft Security Essentials. It is said to be the best free antivirus out there. It's fast and surprisingly reliable. Had it running on my netbook for a while and I must say I have absolutely no complaints about it. The only reason I don't use it anymore is that I now run Ubuntu on that machine :)

If you're looking for a good graphics editor that's almost as good as Photoshop, you can try The Gimp. While the interface takes a bit of getting used to and it doesn't support 16 bit color, it's an incredible package for the price... it's open source freeware :)
Francois

terryj42

• 35mm
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 10:36:38 PM »
Long time lurker here, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on Microsoft Security Essentials: awesome product made even better by being free.  I use it on all my home computers and have had absolutely no trouble with it at all.  Yep, Microsoft actually gives away a very good product.   ;D

As for photo editing software, I've looked at several different ones (esp. since I can't justify the expense of Photoshop *and* still afford camera gear).  I use Paintshop Pro -- you can often catch it on sale at various US shops for $20 or less.  While the older versions were best (back before Corel bought them), the latest versions work pretty well and offer lots of bells and whistles for the price.  While I haven't used it, there's a freeware program called Paint.Net (http://www.getpaint.net/) that I have read good reviews about.  Of course, the GIMP is one of the best open-source tools out there, IMO, but the learning curve is almost at the same level as Photoshop.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »
Quite true.
I have a friend who swears only by the old Paintshop Pro...
I've never used Paint.net but heard good things about it.

The good thing with open source software is that it never contains junk you can't take off.
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 10:46:29 PM »
I tend to use BD Sizer. Great piece of freebie software. Specify the length of the longest edge, specify the maximum files size, re-size - job done......

http://bd-sizer.en.softonic.com/
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »
I had been using and paying for Norton for years when my PC got infected. I got in contact with the customers services just to be told I had to pay for a fix. Seriously ?? The PC shouldn't get infected at first! and secondly, I paid for the services already... why should I have to pay again?  >:( >:(

I got rid off the $%&ody software and install Microsoft Essentials... so light comparing to Norton and TOTALLY FREE! Never had any virus since ... I use in conjunt with "Malwarebytes" and "Noscript" for Firefox...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 03:56:17 PM »
I tend to use BD Sizer. Great piece of freebie software. Specify the length of the longest edge, specify the maximum files size, re-size - job done......

Here's a simpler download link http://www.foto-freeware.de/files/BDSizer.exe
Francois