Author Topic: I guess it is Friday - first weekend thread of July.  (Read 18241 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: I guess it is Friday - first weekend thread of July.
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2011, 03:02:22 PM »
here are my two night time shots from last week but this time as print scans.  Fomatone MG matt paper in Harman Cooltone paper developer.  No toning. (got the scan colour balance a bit wrong on the seascape pic - it should be the same as the beach huts).

L.

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »

Jeff, I have been looking lately at the Zeiss Ikon ZM, looks like a fantastic camera; guess similar to the ZI? Shots with the biogon just looks fantastic.

Actually the camera is a ZI (and I believe has not changed since it's introduction), and the lenses are ZM (for M mount).  It's a satisfying camera to use, with a wonderful viewfinder.  The nits that people usually pick are about the volume of the shutter and the camera's reliance on a battery to function.  The lenses are very good I think.

Carlos, Jeff,

I have been using a ZI ("Zeiss Ikon ZM" is or was an internet non-official name but I think that even Zeiss is using that one now) for more than half a year and I'd say that my complaints are:

- Sometimes you can't see the focusing patch. I guess it's hard to explain but sometimes you lose the patch for a few seconds if your eye is not centered on the rangefinder patch. It's more annoying than anything else.
- Meterings are sometimes hard to read.
- On complaints 1 and 2, I literally can't see the shutter speed when composing vertically so I meter and focus horizontally then compose and shoot vertically. I'm used to it but it's weird.
- I tend to lose the eye piece A LOT. More than with any of my other cameras such as the Nikons. Most of the time it's somewhere in my bag, but still, I lost the original and if you have diopter correction pieces, well, they aren't cheap. I realise that this is mostly me being an idiot though.
- It has got the Zeiss lens framelines so no 75mm. I shoot my Voigtlander 75mm f1.8 using an external finder or guessing. I don't know if I will ever get used to using external finders, as nice as they are, so whenever I get a second rangefinder it may be something with 75mm as I love that distance.

On the regular complaints:
- I don't think the shutter is loud at all compared to a Leica. Check this out: http://elekm.net/zeiss_ikon/pages/body.html shutter speed sounds comparison. I doubt that it matters at all in real world situations to be honest.
- My first set of batteries died in the cold south african mountains after shooting something like 30 rolls. Most people can shoot 40+ rolls even 50. I always have a set of backup batteries so it doesn't bother me much, but if you go to Patagonia or something then this is not the camera to take.
- Other people say that the build doesn't feel as good (which is true) and that it's not as heavy, which to me is an advantage as I usually carry it with a Nokton 50mm 1.1 which weighs around 1 kg by itself, and sometimes a Nikon F3HP which weighs like a baby.

It's biggest drawback to most people in other forums (I won't name names but most of you can get a good idea) is that it's not a Leica. It doesn't feel like a Leica, it doesn't brass like a Leica and it's got no red dot. I don't care about brands, most people on this forum don't seem to be that type either, and you can buy almost two new Ikons for the price of a second hand M7. But if you ever daydream with a Leica and endlessly look at forum threads with digital picture of your beautiful camera setup, then don't even consider an Ikon and go for the Leica.

The point is that it's an awesome tool to take pix. You will love it Carlos.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2011, 12:38:55 AM »
Jeff / Carlos,

For what it's worth, I can only support what Mil says. The only two things that count for me when I'm buying a camera are:

1. what do the photos look like?
2. does the camera sit well in my hand?

I used to have Canon F1N and A1 bodies because I liked the look of them - but I just couldn't get on with them. I like to be able to use the camera whilst wearing a pair of mitts (I shoot in cold, wet weather as well as sunshine and tropics). The Canons, for me, just didn't work. Nikons, on the other hand, are big lumps that are hard to get wrong ergonomically. I have an F5, F2S and Nikkormat FTn.

When I was looking form a rangefinder, I checked out the Zeiss Ikon, Konica Hexar, Voigtlander Bessa and older Canon P / Nikon S options. However, despite not particularly liking the loading method, the Leica M6 fits my hand perfectly and I find it very intuitive. But that's just me.

If your hands fir the ZI, then get one as it is a superb piece of kit. Frankly, the roll of film doesn't care what body it's in or what lens is on the front. Get and use what works best for you and to hell with accepted / conventional wisdom.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2011, 02:05:08 AM »
Mil and LD,

Thank you for all the good advices. Yes it's true all you two said. By the way I also have a Canon A1 and Canon F1N (the A1 I shoot it and like a lot but sometimes difficult to focus properly with the 28/2.5 but ergonomically love it - the F1N I am gonna sell it, I just do no use it, but as LD said love its looks). Now I am looking for a Rangefinder. I have the Polaroid 195 and I like pretty much the "rangefinder" concept, so wanted to experience with 35mm rangefinder cameras. Usually I do not care much about brands but it's also true that some times I say, well at one point I will have to try that legendary camera! That's one of the reasons I recently bought the Rolleiflex 2.8. With a Rangefinder I am looking a light camera with easy focusing and quality lenses, and not very bulky. I have looked at the bessas, leicas, Ikons, and now I am pretty focused at the Minolta CLE. REasons are, as said, light, quality lens, AE, not bulky and the 40mm lens, which I have found I feel more at ease than with a 50mm lens. And price. The only "buts" about the CLE is that is an old camera and Electronics might fail; but I do not know if that is more a legend than anything else. My canon A1 is from the 70's and working flawlessly with all those electronics. Well that's it!! I think that out of camera fever there is a pilgrimage looking for the camera you feel more at ease with, and that is a sum of reasons which vary from one photographer to another.  ::) And even though we all know cameras are just the vessels it's also true that some cameras make you shoot more often and differently than others because they suit you more, at least in my experience.

PD Now I am doubting between the MInolta CL and the CLE one... I like the Single coated lens from the CL but they say viewfinder is not so bright... and not 28 lines...

Carlos.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:04:58 AM by calbisu »

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2011, 02:15:19 AM »
Patrick - Yes, the Pola is Fantastic!!! Street photography as I like it  :D non intrusive, narrative, non spectacular action but appealing for its normality... And the first Elitechrome, the hues are deliciousss  ;D

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2011, 03:29:11 AM »
we spent a long weekend in the mountains.

664 & 665 respectively.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2011, 09:07:31 AM »
heres one I took at the local university park boating lake on my brothers birthday on a day out. was a scorcher! its on my newly aquired electro 35 GTN, which I bought on a whim from a local vintage/junk store for 30 quid. i had my yashica MG-1 on me which I bought from the same place so swapped over my weird battery contraption (consists of one of those 123a batteries and a couple of button batteries on top to make the voltage) and even swapped the film. more to come when I'm not in a rush for work.

p.s. I dont know these people

toe dipping by Thomo_Stoneo, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:09:37 AM by thom_stone »

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
@ Gregor.

Love both shots but the first is a cracker. I'm putting together a collection of fairly disparate shots of people reading / checking their mobile phones as a modern-day version of Kertesz's "On Reading" book. I can't expect it'll be anything remotely as good but I'm envious of your shot as it would fit right into the theme.

@ Thom

You've obviously settled into the new camera very quickly as this is a super image. I like the soft greys and cloud formations are just perfect.

Lovely work all round.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:08:50 PM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »
Gregor, that first shot is just beautiful.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
A couple from my course at Low Wood Photography Centre over the weekend.

darryl cox

• 35mm
    • Holga B&W Fotography
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »
The work here is so wonderful... here is a small very small contribution of some gentlemen playing domino's in a vacant lot...

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2011, 09:25:46 PM »
Carl, wonderful work, as always. I am very partial to the young lady with the ferret!

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:53 PM »
Darryl - Wonderful scene
Carl - The third one is a great portrait

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
Two from London with my Zeiss Ikon and the Nokton 50mm f1.1
Film is Rollei 400 from Photographica!

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2011, 11:00:56 PM »
 just a few faves!

carlradford first shot in particular

gregors first shot for definite!

leons beach huts

J_warden's first shot, Stunning colours!

mojave's tree

Miller's pilon

paul mitchell I adore your second pinhole!

but everyones are awesome!

constantly inspired to try harder with my photography because of these threads

just one more from me taken on the yashica MG-1 about ten minutes before I ripped the film and battery out and put it in the replacement Yashica electro 35

"I will be the one holding the flowers" by Thomo_Stoneo, on Flickr

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2011, 11:51:32 PM »
Thanks all. The 1st shot is my spouse painting the landscape from a trail. We were roughly at 6,000 feet elevation.  We took a 4 day weekend and that is my favorite shot from the trip, although I have yet to develop the roll film shots.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »
This weeks thread seems to be getting better and better, excellent work from everyone, in particular...

gregor - love the first image, reminds me of a famous UK chocolate bar (Flake) ad from the 70's & 80's

Carl - gulp! definitely have to put one of your workshops on my bucket list

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »