Author Topic: Light-leaking Yashica Mat invading the Digi SLR's prowling ground  (Read 3984 times)

Coveman

• Coveman
End of school balls, Traditionally the homeground of Canon EOSs and their cronies.
However i thought, well thats all a bit boring really, why not go and take some film snaps!
So before the ball when everyone was taking those studio looking digital pictures with mathematically accurate bokeh, i was busy with my Yashica Mat getting a few snaps.

Here's one of the best from the do, see what you think...

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Light-leaking Yashica Mat invading the Digi SLR's prowling ground
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »
well done for flying the analogue flag.  Nice pic too.
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »
BTW - sorry to get all old, but when did English schools get so American? End of school Ball? what's that all about?

What happened to a bottle of Thunderbird wine, 20 Lambert and Butlers, a £10 bag of weed and a school disco? The perfect recipe for ridiculous dancing, intoxicated groping and vomiting over Laura Chamberlain's new coat.

L.

Coveman

• Coveman
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
well at least i refuse to refer to it as "prom" whilst wearing my "tux"...

it was a complete cheese fest, cover versions of journey and the lot. Luckily a few good mates and more than a few rusty nails and the night was turned around.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »
Yeah! Anywhere where there's an old skool Disco party, you can count on me to do my best Saturday Night Fever impression :)

Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Coveman

• Coveman
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »
A film wasters disco!?! now what would that be like...

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:48:59 AM »
Don't!! Someone will volunteer to organise it...and I'm not sure I could deal with Leon & Damion in Cuban heels and satin hot pants.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »
What a horrific spectacle this conjours up...!! I thought (and hoped) Disco had done the decent thing and just "died" after the punk explosion of the late 70's. I'm all in favour of "retro" but not if it involves Abba, Donna Summer or, horror of horrors, Gloria Gaynor.......

All that spandex, blue eye shadow and sequins - enough friction-induced static electricity to start a fire. Noooooooooooo!!!!!
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
I think you capture the mood very nicely in this shot...

What a horrific spectacle this conjours up...!! I thought (and hoped) Disco had done the decent thing and just "died" after the punk explosion of the late 70's. I'm all in favour of "retro" but not if it involves Abba, Donna Summer or, horror of horrors, Gloria Gaynor.......

The good an old punk... we need another music revolution! There's been so many cr*!$% lately... >:(

Although,  Moroder/Donna Summer's "I feel Love" did have a huge influence and so many good stuff...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »
liking the composition~ but hey, is that a bottle of whiskey she's holding? ;)
/jonas

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »
In some ways, it's for the best that false prophets the likes of Malcolm McLaren, Pete Waterman and their ilk can't influence musical tastes in the way they could when they effetively ran the show. At least we don't have to suffer d*ckheads like John Lydon, Jimmy Pursey and Kevin Rowland unless we really want to.

I hate to say it, but the digital revolution and the capability to produce an album in your back bedroom - then launch it via YouTube (or similar) - has democritised music to a massive degree. Mind you, lot of it is utter crap, though. What really gets my blood pressure rising are the latest crop of false prophets like Simon Cowell - who seem to believe they have some right to tell us what we should regard as good or talented.

Jedward? Olly Murs? I REALLY don't think so........

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
What really gets my blood pressure rising are the latest crop of false prophets like Simon Cowell - who seem to believe they have some right to tell us what we should regard as good or talented.
Oh! I thought it was Crazy Frog and that dancing hamster thing ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »
Humm... the digital revolution really make it easy for artists put out their work with the same DIY attitude that punk did, but with much less impact in the media ( maybe the likes of Arctic Monkeys and Lilly Allen had some impact but... who really cares about them?).

It was great to see back few years ago "Rage Against the Machine" became number 1, although I hate to say... through a facebook campaign, knocking out those xfactor idiots... but that lasted few days only.

I was talking about something more radical, something that would say... " Hey!! Lady Gaga... you really suck and your music is sh*@% !!! Get the hell out of here!!!

Oh boy... this thread can go on and on... ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:38:56 PM by sapata »
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Coveman

• Coveman
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »
hey, is that a bottle of whiskey she's holding
unfortunately, i hate to say it but its a digi cam...

how i wish it was whiskey... (that wasn't meant to sound quite so rapey)

and on the music front, as a bona-fide teenager, i cannot stand these talentless 'X-Factor' and 'Britain's Got No Sense Of Dignity' idiots! However i do like the availability of music production software and the ways people can promote their music digitally.

oh and personally my favorite new music has to be a bit of heavy dubstep! check out Butch Clancy

chris_n

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 09:26:36 AM »
i played 100% disco at my party last night!

hell, disco is my favorite thing to spin these days

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
oh, ive just realised you all are talking about a NIGHTCLUB !  :)

nice image Sirbarnzabus, i like her expression!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 09:48:30 AM »
ok - For those not of my generation (mid eighties adolescence), in the UK ... the "School Disco" may be a very misleading term.  It didn't really involve disco music at all. It was just "Dave's Mobile Disco" (two knackered turntables, some dirty tube lights and a box of 12" records) in a school sports hall playing chart toppers from the time. For some reason Colonel Abrams and Jermain Stewart tunes spring to mind, but there were other , much darker offerings including Jive Bunny and Black Lace. And then the slow dance section, by which time the Merrydown Cider (8% alcohol) would have really kicked in - Crazy for You and Lady in Red (!!!), and us lads got the chance to letch over the lucky (or misguided) girl who agreed to put up with 3 minutes of hell walking round and round in circles with us draped over them (I went to a boys school, so the local girls school were invited to our discos and vice versa - lucky them.  A room full of hormonally imbalanced adolescent boys deprived of female company for most of the time - it must have been an awful sight).

Ahh - the good old days.

L.

Coveman

• Coveman
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 09:56:12 AM »
Do not fear leon!
Such things still exist, i go to an all boys school and we still have discos at the girls school up the road and vice versa. As a 90's child however we are forced to listen to such classics as the macarena and las ketchup followed by my heart will go on, for the 'lovers'. i even have the business card for someone called 'Dave's party and karaoke disco' in my room...

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 10:01:08 AM »
Do not fear leon!
Such things still exist, i go to an all boys school and we still have discos at the girls school up the road and vice versa. As a 90's child however we are forced to listen to such classics as the macarena and las ketchup followed by my heart will go on, for the 'lovers'. i even have the business card for someone called 'Dave's party and karaoke disco' in my room...

Excellent - it's a foundational aspect of the British education system. Good to hear it's alive and well.

The smell of wrigleys gum and appley alcohol takes me right back there.
L.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »
ok - For those not of my generation (mid eighties adolescence), in the UK ... the "School Disco" may be a very misleading term.  It didn't really involve disco music at all. It was just "Dave's Mobile Disco" (two knackered turntables, some dirty tube lights and a box of 12" records) in a school sports hall playing chart toppers from the time. For some reason Colonel Abrams and Jermain Stewart tunes spring to mind, but there were other , much darker offerings including Jive Bunny and Black Lace. And then the slow dance section, by which time the Merrydown Cider (8% alcohol) would have really kicked in - Crazy for You and Lady in Red (!!!), and us lads got the chance to letch over the lucky (or misguided) girl who agreed to put up with 3 minutes of hell walking round and round in circles with us draped over them (I went to a boys school, so the local girls school were invited to our discos and vice versa - lucky them.  A room full of hormonally imbalanced adolescent boys deprived of female company for most of the time - it must have been an awful sight).

Ahh - the good old days.

yes yes i was there in the mid 80's in my mid teens - remember the breakdancing craze? . . . ok moving on
. . . it would be gas to go back and have a look at what we were like as a kind of fly on the wall type of scenario

Coveman

• Coveman
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
if i was a fly on the wall at one of my younger days discos, i would probably end up commiting suicide in someones J20 (the staple party drink of those too young to drink)

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »

I want to say something nice about the Yash as I love a Far Eastern TLR but I'm a bit upset for Donna Summer and Kevin Rowland, They are actually my parents !

No wonder I've turned out the way I have.

Before a school disco I went to in '82 I got a girl a year younger than me to buy my bottle of Woodpecker Cider as she looked so much older than I.

Ox Blood DM's ...  ;D