Author Topic: Hi all, I'm new here  (Read 3201 times)

Nubz

• 35mm
    • Shortfinger Photo
Hi all, I'm new here
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:41:19 AM »
Just wanted to introduce myself.  I have been into photography for a few years now with the digital format  :o and have taken a few ventures into the film medium without much success in sticking with it.  I am looking for better image quality especially in black and white than what I am getting with digital. I have a 35mm Nikon, I had a Bronica ETR that I sold and now I picked up a Mamiya RB67 Pro SD very cheap in Korea and I think I'm going to stick with this one.  I love the rotating back and build quality.  I was looking at getting into large format but I thought I'd try medium format one more time and see if I can fall in love with it.  It certainly would make life easier if I can instead of trying to change film in the field for large format.  I intend to shoot mostly black and white long exposure landscape type stuff with the Mamiya.  I stumbled on this site a few nights ago and looking around, I took a liking to it.  I do like the name too!  I'm mostly here to learn.  I do have a website that I threw together with all digital pictures.  I haven't shot the Mamiya yet but six rolls of Ilford Pan f 50 are sitting in the fridge waiting to be loaded and a new light meter that should do the trick.  Hopefully this weekend! ;D

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Hi all, I'm new here
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:13:23 AM »
welcoma aboard! I'll be looking forward to some nice landscape shots from that mamiya~ :)
/jonas

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 11:26:32 AM »
Good luck and welcome. You will find us a friendly bunch, I'm sure!

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »
Hello! Better B&W? As well as care taken with 'real' B&W, a neat trick for those transitioning from digital to film is to take an intermediate step. Use some C41 XP2 Super, and see what you get... Its a great film, cheap, easy to get processed, with tremendous latitude resulting in glorious grays! Welcome regardless. Skj.

Nubz

• 35mm
    • Shortfinger Photo
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
Thanks for the tips Skorj.  I'll have to look for it.  I'm not sure how I'm going to get the film processed right now.  I have an amazing photo print shop in Tucson, AZ that I go to.  They will do about anything I could ask from them so maybe i'll just send them the film and see what they come up with, have them print a proof sheet and have them scan the best ones. 

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »
  I'm not sure how I'm going to get the film processed right now. 

That's the beauty of C41, your local lab can likely do it in existing machines as C41 is a normal color process. Buy the film on line perhaps... Skj.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »
welcome aboard !

i used to shoot film in the 80's, took a break,
came back to digital and slid gently into film again, sold my canon 5D
all I have left now is about 8 film cameras . . .  ;D terrible  ;D ;D

good idea to start with the c-41 processing but I would suggest
dabbling in self processing - easy peasy!!

best of luck and welcome again !

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
Welcome.

I second the choice of Ilford XP2. The only thing about it is that color prints made from it are pretty weird and the film has absolutely no grain!

Apart from that, the film is very forgiving.

There's also Kodak T-Max T400 CN which is made to be processed in C41 chemistry too. It's made in 35mm and 120 format. It might be a bit easier to find... but you do have to ask for it by the full name as there are other T-max films which are not C41 process.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

darryl cox

• 35mm
    • Holga B&W Fotography
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 04:13:01 PM »
Welcome to the site, enjoy, lot of good information and great people...

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 04:13:07 PM »
i dunno, i managed to get grain from xp2!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
Hi Nubz - welcome to FW.
L.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »
welcome! I bought a mamiya rb67 pro s from photographica a few weeks ago when I went down to london to meet a few of the lovely people on this forum :-) I'm loving it, I mostly shoot portraits so don't know about the landscape side of things but I do love this camera!

Billy by Thomo_Stoneo, on Flickr

hope you enjoy the mamiya and this site!

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 05:48:13 PM »
Hi Nubz!
:)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
Hello Nubz, and welcome!!!

I am really looking forward to seeing your long exposure landscapes. There are a few photogs here who shoot that way with all different types of cameras, including pinhole cams, so you're in the right place!  ;D
mojave

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 06:42:22 PM »
Hello and welcome to the best film site out there. Get snapping and post something soon  :)
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Terry

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »
Welcome!  I will second Mr. O'Luain and say that (especially if you're into b+w) processing yourself is not hard, does not require a darkroom and will save you buckets of money.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
Hi Nubz.

You've hit the jackpot here, matey...!! I'm a relative newbie myself but I love film and there are some seriously good photographers and fabulous people on this site. If they make you feel as welcome as I have felt since joining, you'll have a whale of a time.

The other good thing is that I haven't come across any "anti" digital attitude on here. Many of the members use digital but this place is about film - cameras, processing and printing. I use digital also but my first, and most enduring, love is mono film.

Looking forward to seeing your stuff. Best wishes, Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nubz

• 35mm
    • Shortfinger Photo
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »
Thanks for all of the greetings.  Looks like I'll learn a lot here. All I need to do now is get out and shoot.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 11:29:06 AM »
Thanks for the tips Skorj.  I'll have to look for it.  I'm not sure how I'm going to get the film processed right now.  I have an amazing photo print shop in Tucson, AZ that I go to.  They will do about anything I could ask from them so maybe i'll just send them the film and see what they come up with, have them print a proof sheet and have them scan the best ones. 

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Hi and welcome :)

Not sure if this will be of use to you but I just met these guys online, http://www.120processing.com/ they're really nice & expanding into 35mm processing and do mail order.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:48 PM »
Hi there and welcome!  :')
One tip, do not get too attached to your mamiya, or be prepared for her to have some companions. I would say that filmwasters fellas have an average of.. 5 cameras? And I think that is a too conservatice figure. That is one more thing about shooting film that I like. Cameras have real personality and it takes some time to find the one that matches your style, as it takes time to find your style... Now I am falling in love with my Rolkeiflex

Aolauin, I still have my canon 5D, I do not use it anymore but I do not want to sell it. I think its a fantastic camera, but sure you already knew that ; )

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 11:56:41 PM »
Aolauin, I still have my canon 5D, I do not use it anymore but I do not want to sell it. I think its a fantastic camera, but sure you already knew that ; )
I went through the same debate a few months back, but it's happily gone now, no regrets! Lots of money for processing. ;D

-Jason

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 02:10:17 PM »
Welcome!  this is a fantastic place to be a part of..always interesting stuff to read about and keep in mind we do some great postcard exchanges too! :) :)