Author Topic: where's ferrania?  (Read 2821 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
where's ferrania?
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »
just read on flickr that ferranias site is down. I wonder what's up?

http://www.ferraniait.com/

not a mayor player, but an interesting alternative if you can find it (often re branded I think). I've seen it as solaris (their own) and eurofilm.
there's actually a flickr group called ferrania wonderland dedicated to their films.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ferrania/

I'm not sure but I think some lomo films are from ferrania. here's two examples of their 35mm iso200 film, which I'm quite fond of :)
/jonas

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
Re: where's ferrania?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 10:23:31 AM »
Love the second.

I think they've pulled back, they were the last to offer 126 too I think. Shame.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
My understanding is that Ferrania no longer manufactures film themselves, they cut and spool film from other manufacturers for rebranding. 

Perhaps somebody should check edge markings and try and determine the original sources.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 04:10:20 PM »
Ferrania has been out of the film industry for a while now.
The site has closed down around July 19th according to the wayback machine.
And the last press release was in 2008... a long time ago.

I think Lomography bought all their remaining film stock, which was a good deal for them.

If you have some ferrania film, you can use the DXsim to identify the film by the film canister's barcode number.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
The site was up only earlier this month.  I checked it out to try and find info on their 100ASA film just a couple weeks ago.  But I believe they stopped coating film in 2008.

I heard Adox has/had plans to buy their 110 cartridge tooling so they could produce B/W 110 film... perhaps that is dead in the water now.

patois

• I run p
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
I heard they had gone out a couple of times. I think they were in Italian version of chapter 11 or a while. I do know that the film that they produced was in a lot of cheap disposable cameras and store brand film so if you really want some it is still out there.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
I got a 16-pack of 200 ASA from Four Corner Store last Christmas, but I see now they're only carrying the 100 now:

http://www.fourcornerstore.com/collections/a-la-carte/products/four-corner-color-film-9-pack-100asa

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
copy pasta from the flickr webs:
"Giulio Croce , Sep 29, 2011; 08:59 a.m.

I hope this will not cause too much pain in the audience, but I'll just let you know that Ferrania/Solaris gave up any interest in photography market. After more than a decade of deep troubles the company itself died (it already went down from a maximum of 3400 to around 200 employees) and in 2010 restarted as a photovoltaic modules related business. Hopefully former employees will join the new activities, but there is no chance at all to restart film production (even the buildings are being destroyed to be subsituted by something more suited to the new activity).
Sorry for the bad news... "
/jonas