Author Topic: Liquid Emulsions ???  (Read 2603 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Liquid Emulsions ???
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »
Hi All

I'm thinking of trying out some liquid emulsion on watercolour paper for a particular set of prints.

I've got the Silverprint book which is extremely helpful, but nothing is as good as real-life user experience.  has anyone tried this, if so what were the pitfalls?  Any tips and tricks?

cheers

Leon 
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Liquid Emulsions ???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »
Don't open the bottle in the living room just to see what it smells like ;)

I know this is very useful knowledge when it comes to light sensitive materials  :P
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
LOL! Good advice Francois!

I too am interested in liquid emulsions. I dont know much about them except that you can put them on any surface, which really interests me a great deal. Im looking forward to see what gets posted here.
mojave

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »
I have used SE emulsion and found it very good. The main issue for me was in the coating of the paper. Tried various papers and found the smooth surface best for me. I coated successfully with a sponge brush. Warm the paper with steam and keep the liquified emulsion hot - and the darkroom warm since when it starts to go cold it sets. Be careful to ensure the box you use to dry the paper in is deeps as the paper will bend and one doesn't want to have the emulsion side touching the box lid!
Got great blacks with this stuff too but it dulls the more the emulsion is re-heated.. I found you can lower qa fixed grade emulsion by adding warm water.
I had an artist pal of mine use my darkroom to make arty things on wood with this emulsion but since he worked like an artist playing with the materials and not being consistant - the stuff never worked for him.

Sorry, can't post an example as I'm in Somerset as my mother passed away last week.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:49:11 PM »
now this is interesting~
it's someting that I want to try in the future.. I've seen some nice examples (only on the net though) of rollei magic, I think, making giant photos on walls :o

let's see.. ah! here we go...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ovidiu_cincheza/4179014958/#

ohyeah, rollei black magic. right! ;D
/jonas

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 03:22:47 PM »
I used Arches Aquarelle I think, which had a textured surface. The paper/coating is all about experimenting with what finish you aim for. It took a few goes to get the spread of liquid right but wasn't too hard. Keep the emulsion in a warm bath. My main advice based on my minimal experience is, once coated, to keep the sheets separate from each other as the surface damages very easily. Something like a pizza box for each piece of paper would be ideal or some old photo paper boxes (keep them, keep them!). I look forward to seeing the results.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
Andrea..really looking forward to your results. Very sorry to hear about your loss..

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
Jojonas, that example is awesome!

And Andrea, I am very sorry to hear about your mother.
mojave

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »
My condolences on your loss andrea, I feel embarassed that I missed that when writing before :-[
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
Andrea, all our best thoughts are with you...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
Firstly, my condolences and as someone who went through this a couple of years ago back in Jamaica... It's tough...

Leon

I did this about 15 years ago on some old linen cloth and I found the offending article earlier. I remember painting on the emulsion, leaving to dry in a dark old trunk until it was time to use under the enlarger. It hasn't faired well over the years I've noted but I like it regardless...

Rgds

Mlr
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:43:22 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:23:42 PM »
THanks Miller - Looks good.

Andrea - really sorry to hear of your loss.
L.