Author Topic: Exhibition: Hungarian Photography in the 20th Century  (Read 851 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Exhibition: Hungarian Photography in the 20th Century
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:35:40 AM »
Very much looking forward to this exhibition at the Royal Academy - especially as it's about two minutes from where I work.

http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/hungarian-photography/

Doesn't open until the end of next month, but it gives everyone plenty of time to get themselves organised!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Exhibition: Hungarian Photography in the 20th Century
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:13:36 AM »
Ooooh! That's going to be a cracker. How about we try and build a visit to this puppy into the itinerary for our mooted FW Day Out in London on Sunday 10th July?

I'm definitely in.

Ailsa, if there's free entry into the exhibition (still not quite clear on this despite having spent a few mins on the RA site), then I'd be more than happy to meet up at lunchtime again and take a look around. Stuff like this I can visit multiple times.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
I'm going to be in France the weekend of the 10th (watching the Tour de France - although god knows why I'm sticking with that sport), but up for seeing it any other time with fellow FW types.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »
Mrs LD and I went yesterday. £10 each to get in and they're a bit prissy about allowing you to take any sort of bag bigger than a thimble around the building with you.

However, what an exhibition.......!!

The place is full of images I'd seen previously but never knew who'd taken them and others (by one of my all-time favourites Andre Kertesz) that are just awesome when you see the actual print - even in comparison to a good book reproduction.

We went in just after 15:30 and came out almost three hours later promising to go back and have another look before it ends later this year. There are dozens and dozens of images, segmented into various groupings. The layout can be a bit of a pain to follow as it's not a simple "linear" walk around. However, if you are in the area, it's a fantastic exhibition and well worth the trip and entrance fee.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".