Author Topic: A UK Filmwasters weekend?  (Read 3646 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
A UK Filmwasters weekend?
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:18 AM »
This is something that has been going around in my head for a while now, and after the successful turn-out at Photographica yesterday, I think it just might be a reality:

Ed and I have in the past discussed trying (cough) to organise some kind of filmwasters event in a more formal format than the occasional catch up in a pub - a sort of FW conference if you like with sessions to show work, maybe even have some speakers blah blah blah. Whilst this is clearly way too highfalutin for us to ever get our slack organisational skills on top of, there may be a compromise that could work ... maybe ...

How about an extended FW meet up? Maybe over a weekend in a B&B or pub with accommodation. We could pick somewhere central that would have interesting filmwasting opportunities for the day times, then spend the evening eating food and talking about wasting film/ showing prints etc. I've been on similar events organised by other forums in the past and they are generally a huge success.  On a personal level, I always found them hugely inspirational - just spending a weekend talking about how people shoot, prints, compose etc was enough to get my photo eye aligned and get me taking pics again.

I dont know about everyone who made it yesterday, but I came away with a feeling of not having anywhere near enough time to chat with you all. Maybe this is a way of achieving this?

Anyway - this is only an idea forming in my pea-brain.  If you are interested and think you could realistically take a weekend out of your home-life, kids, greyhounds, parrots etc etc,  and afford the cost of 2 nights in a B&B - let us know here and we can start some investigations into accommodation, location etc.

:)

L.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:12:07 AM by leon taylor »
L.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
Re: A UK Filmwasters weekend?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »
I'm going to jump in early and say that's a brilliant idea, I'd certainly be up for it. Not many of my mates are photographers, never mind film photographers, so I'd love the chance to get together with some like minded folk.

Nigel
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »
I'd certainly be interested. By the time we joined you upstairs you were all leaving!
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:03:15 AM »
This sounds perfect! I too felt that the opportunity to really discuss the nitty gritty of different techniques with everyone was severely lacking. I had such an awesome time meeting you all and would love the opportunity to have a proper chat. I have a couple of friends who are photographers but they are off at uni studying it so don't get to sit around and chat photography all too often. I think the hardest part would be deciding on a location that suits everyones shooting style and is easy to travel to. As for me I'm happy as long as there are people to shoot as I love portraiture so be warned all you people like me who prefer to hide behind the lens :-p

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:42:35 AM »
I can say, in all honesty, that my hoop has seldom been more cocker than when I saw the turn out at yesterday's get together at Photographica.  ;)

As per Leon's sentiments, I could have spent hours drinking beer and discussing photography with all and sundry yesterday afternoon. My wife only managed to get me out of the pub on the promise of taking me back into the event to buy me more film. Bless her little cotton socks.

I made a commitment to Leon that I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can with the logistics of organising such a weekend get together. From memory, I think Nigel expressed his interest - but I can only speak for myself.

Location is always going to be tricky , given the fact that members are worldwide let alone UK-wide. If we get it right (outside of school holidays and bank holidays) there are some great pubs with rooms above all over the UK.  Personally, I'm happy to drive almost any distance I can manage in a day which, from where I live (Braintree in Essex) is anywhere from the Lake District to Dorset. I'm also more than happy to give a lift to anyone who is en-route from where I live to where we are meeting.

Lara and I are definitely up for it.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »
There is a pretty awesome real ale pub chain in notts called castle rock ;-)

Nah I wouldn't want it anywhere near nottingham. I'm happy to treat it as my holiday :-)

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
Sounds like a great idea, sadly in reality it's a bit difficult for me to spend a weekend away though as I have to try and find someone to come and look after & feed my beloved cat - the problem being nobody ever wants to because he hates people and hisses and snarls at anyone but me. However if it was near London I'd be able to at least pop along for a get together, although that might not be convenient for anyone else!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:20:21 PM by Suzi Livingstone »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
I think this is a great idea and it shouldn't be too hard to organise. Depending on a whole host of considerations (location, date, cost, agenda etc.) it will either suit or not quite suit all of those who are potentially able to go, so I think the main thing is for the Organising Committee to take a leap in the dark and sort out a venue and a date ASAP and we'll see who is able to make it. If it's 5 people then that'll be awesome, if it's 10, well, that'll be even awesomer  ;)

With these things it's all about getting it booked up and not spending too long trying to please everyone.

If Leon, Nigel and Paul (Late Dev) are happy to push ahead with getting this rolling, I'd be happy to volunteer my services in any way. I'll have a chat with Leon and we'll get the ball rolling. Oh yeah, Damion's having Internet problems at the moment (it doesn't like him), but I understand that he's well behind this idea too and will be doing his best to attend.

Finally, we might be running an informal London meet up on Sunday July 10th with the Vivian Maier exhibition as the catalyst. Mauricio and I are hoping to get the date confirmed ASAP and will post here separately when we do. There was some discussion yesterday about walking around London and going to various galleries and Sunday 10th seems like a decent date for that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:24:17 PM by ed.wenn »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »
. Oh yeah, Domain's having Internet problems at the moment (it doesn't like him), but I understand that he's well behind this idea too and will be doing his best to attend.

Domain?  Is that Damion's urban street name?
L.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
Corrected :-)

Thom Stone

• Peel Apart
    • With The Cold
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 03:34:39 PM »
Haha I just read it as damion :-p sometimes dyslexia is beneficial, like solving word jumbles in the sunday paper ;-p

salvo

• salvo toscano
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »
i wouldn't say no to this.... also like the galleries visit idea

i should start preparing the rest of the family about disappearing again...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:01:28 PM by salvo »

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »

Finally, we might be running an informal London meet up on Sunday July 10th with the Vivian Maier exhibition as the catalyst. Mauricio and I are hoping to get the date confirmed ASAP and will post here separately when we do. There was some discussion yesterday about walking around London and going to various galleries and Sunday 10th seems like a decent date for that.

Excellent, I want to go see that too.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »
Yep, I'm more than happy to work with Nigel and Leon to sort this.

As you say, Ed, it's impossible to please all the people all the time but, if it's not too much of a stretch for most (geographically, time-wise and financially) we should be able to attract nearer (ideally more) to 10 participants than 5.

The walk round galleries in London is a superb idea and I've already pencilled that in my diary.

Paul.

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
wow! a whole weekend without kids and chores, and having new things to photograph :)
does sound awfully good.
practically i'm not sure i could manage it but if not i'd definitely want to visit you all for a day.
thanks for the work you're all doing in trying to put it together.

and provisionally marked down 10th july, ed...i'd love to see that exhibhition.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 09:47:40 PM »
I doubt that I could make it to a meet up this year, but if this works out and becomes an annual thing, it would give me something to save for and might be a possibility for me in 2012. I've been wanting to go to England for pretty much my whole life and what better reason than to meet all the English FW's, and others who can make it as well, face to face.
mojave

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:50 AM »
Nigel and Paul(LD)  - I've emailed you both on your FW registered email addresses.  If it's easier, I'll send you personal messages instead?
L.

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
Definitely up for a weekend away somewhere with FW type people. Sadly, I won't be able to make 10th July, as I'll be in France, but I'll definitely be going to the exhibition at some point.

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 02:33:14 PM »

Totally up for all the aforementioned stuff.

Ta,
Stu

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 11:16:29 PM »
Erin, if this first one is a success we'd definitely be wanting to do another next year...and yeah, it would be a great excuse for you to come over to Blighty :-)

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »
im back!

and yeah im in

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 11:39:34 PM »
Well, this sounds FAB! I will try my utmost to be there.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »
any excuse for a visit to my favorite country is good enough for me..Kinda have plans to come over later in the year..but if something were planned for next year I would do my utmost to be there then also...so I guess I am saying count me in as long as I can come up with funds .... :)..I do have a friend or two in London that say I can sleep on thier sofa.....