Author Topic: USPS lost film  (Read 1078 times)

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
USPS lost film
« on: April 30, 2011, 11:31:04 AM »
I have bought some Polaroid film from someone in the USA which has got lost in the post. Not an ebay purchase, but he has sent me some other film previously which arrived OK. I can't get a tracking number from him for this one though (never a good sign), and USPS say they can't help without one.

Too valuable a package to go missing! Anyone got any ideas/experience with dealing with lost UPPS parcels? I'm in the UK so haven't had to deal with them before.

Or any filmwasters live in Phoenix want to go and knock on his door?  :)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: USPS lost film
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:59:46 AM »
i'm in phoenix, but i'm not going to knock on some random door! did he have good feedback previously? i've had a couple things get lost that i've shipped overseas, and it's really difficult to get anyone to do anything about it. the seller has to fill out forms for customs to do an inquiry and they have like 90 days to get back to you...but nobody has ever bothered contacting me. i've had to refund money for lost items. in the future i plan on doing an "overseas buyer buys at own risk" clause.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »
Yeah the door knocking thing was only a joke, wouldn't be much fun turning up at a random house!

It wasn't an ebay purchase, just done on faith from a private seller (risky I know but he has already sent me 2 packages previously).

I've had stuff stuck in customs before, and they turned up after some phone calls and a small payment. 

If I had the tracking number I'd be OK, but suddenly I'm not getting any responses. The annoying thing is that previously we've done 2 deals that have gone really smoothly. Also the seller is a professional photographer, and I'd have hoped that he's understand how valuable in both money and film the package is!

I'll keep trying, but both USPS and parcelforce here in the UK are both totally unwilling to even try without the tracking number. So frustrating to think there is a box of film just sitting somewhere and I can't get my hands on it!

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:27:26 PM »
Did you pay using Paypal? If you did, they may at least do a refund. Generally they say it's the seller's responsibility to make sure it arrives. Or, if you used a credit card, the card company may refund.

If either of the above applies, telling the seller you are going to ask for a refund may spur him into doing something.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »
I'll keep trying to contact him for a while and keep everything crossed that there is a good reason for his sudden email silence!

if not, then will have to try others ways to resolve it I guess.

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 05:34:02 PM »
Is it truly lost, or just chronically late?
I know that may seem a dumb question, but I've had things shipped to me via parcel post and they arrived after 3 weeks.

I've also had something (once) sent to me show up a YEAR later.

As Peter mentioned contact paypal or the credit card folks for refund information.

Good luck and let us know how it all shakes out.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
If you paid by paypal I'd go the refund route which may spur the seller into action. There could be genuine reasons for his silence, on holiday or something and the package may be genuinely held up somewhere. Are all USPS parcels issued a tracking number or did you pay extra for it?

I sent a friend in Los Angeles a Christmas card and it arrived on his birthday - in April!

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 02:27:49 AM »
Yeah, post can be really slow. I ordered something from Holland recently ( via etsy) and it took 6 weeks to arrive....

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 10:17:28 AM »
Not a paypal purchase unfortunately, so can't go down that refund route. It's about 6 weeks late so far, so maybe there is still hope.

Thanks everyone  :)