Author Topic: Help with identifying a camera for a film-maker  (Read 1435 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Help with identifying a camera for a film-maker
« on: March 06, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »
A friend of mine has been working for quite a number of years on making a film based on the diaries of a deaf-mute Scotsman called James Duthie, who cycled to the Arctic Circle in the 1950s. (Obscure? Y'think?)

He's just rung me to ask what camera Duthie might have been referring to when he wrote: "I tried to conceive of a picture through one of the camera's two glasses."

It sounds to me like a TLR, and that he's referring to one of the lenses on the front. To put it in a bit of context, Matt (the film-maker) reckons there's a strong possibility that Duthie didn't really know how the camera worked and was trying to sound rather more knowledgeable than he actually was by talking of "one of the two glasses" - and that he didn't realise both lenses were required.

Although Duthie was very much on a budget, he knew how to save up for things, so he wouldn't have had a top-of-the-range camera but it probably wasn't the absolute cheapest, either. He lived near Fraserburgh in northeast Scotland so probably would have had to travel to Aberdeen to buy it.

What do you lot reckon? Does it sound like a TLR to you? And if so, what make/model would fit into the late 1940s/early 1950s time-frame?

It doesn't need to be 100% accurate as Matt's films don't exactly follow a narrative format, but something that's roughly in the ballpark would be useful.

If you'd like to find out more about the film, which is called Dummy Jim, and you have a bit of time to spare, allow yourself to be distracted for a while by the gorgeous website:

http://www.dummyjim.com

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Help with identifying a camera for a film-maker
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:15:29 PM »
No idea Ailsa but looking forward to seeing the film :-)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »
I'd agree it was most likely a TLR but not necessarily that he didn't know what he was doing. He could have been writing fancifully or maybe thought his readers wouldn't understand if he used any technical terms. If you rewrite it as "I tried to compose a picture through the camera's viewing lens" it sounds as if he knows just what he's doing.

As for model. Worth remembering there were import restrictions for some years after the war, up to the late fifties I think, which means it would most likely have been a British made camera. Maybe a Microcord or a Microflex.

My two cents worth anyway.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
Lets go logically about this.
The camera needed to be cheap and reliable. Somehow, this tends to point me in direction of Kodak. I don't know how available they were in the UK though...

I went through the Kodak Product list (very informative)
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/aa13/aa13.pdf

While searching for the 195? I came up with a list of potential models
BROWNIE Reflex Camera (127)
BROWNIE Reflex, Synchro Model Camera (127)
BROWNIE Reflex 20 Camera (620)
KODAK DUAFLEX Camera (620)
KODAK DUAFLEX II Camera (620)
KODAK DUAFLEX III Camera (620)
KODAK DUAFLEX IV Camera (620)

These are all low cost consumer type TLR's..
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Lawrie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »
Interesting speculation.

Perhaps it was one of many long forgotten and obscure makes of the 1950's, and not necessarily British made.................................?

Japanese  DEITZFLEX TLR  - ARGOFLEX TLR  --  BOLSEYFLEX TLR  -  CIROFLEX TLR  -  CRYSTARFLEX TLR  -  KODAK REFLEX TLR  - ULTRA-REFLEX TLR  etc. etc. etc.

However I tend to agree with Peter R that it was more than likely a post war Microcord or Microflex. But who knows.

Mr. James Duthie may have "got lucky", whilst scouring the second hand shops, and found an old Rolleiflex ditched by some desperate spy eager to get a few bob for a train ticket to wherever!

If I were Matt the filmmaker I would opt for a bit of artistic licence and choose a simple and inconspicuous TLR of the period!

Lawrie.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:31:33 PM by Lawrie »

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
Thanks everyone - really helpful and interesting stuff. I'll pass the info on.

If I were Matt the filmmaker I would opt for a bit of artistic licence and choose a simple and inconspicuous TLR of the period!

Yes - I suspect that's what he'll end up doing! It's not a major part of the film by any means, so anything roughly accurate will do the job.

None of Duthie's photographs from the trip still exist, which is a shame.