Author Topic: First Weekend Thread of March  (Read 17873 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
First Weekend Thread of March
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »
Re-did an earlier shot interrupted by cops.  Hid my prohibited tripod in a piece of luggage.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
Re: First Weekend Thread of March
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:00:37 PM »
Nicely done - love the movement. 

How long will it take our Andrea to love this up too :)

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:34:54 PM »
ooohhhh... I love it so much!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »
Love it! Well worth re-visiting!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:01:48 PM »
Hasselblad 501cm and Kodak bwcn - Crete

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »
did a little wandering about to make sure my repaired 195 was working, and to try out my Rolleicord...
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:06:49 AM »
Are all 195's time machines?  Amazing stuff.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »
Re-did an earlier shot interrupted by cops.  Hid my prohibited tripod in a piece of luggage.

I think it's great that you went right back to the same location.  Take that, coppers.   :D

And you were rewarded with a great shot.  This is one of my favorites from your collaboration with this model.  Your Degas is still my fave, but this is really fine.

Jeff

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:51:36 AM »
whatta beauty, hookstrapped!  This weekend thread is off to a stunning start!

Terry

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 02:44:19 AM »
Hookstrapped--I see what you were aiming for now, and I love the expression you've got with this one.  But I like the other one too--for very different reasons!

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 11:34:46 AM »
I like the picture of the ghosts in the stairs. Thats a great start!

Asked a friend to scan these for me. Got some funny hairs and dust on the paper.

polaroid 450 with fuji fp100c.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »
Nicely done - love the movement. 

How long will it take our Andrea to love this up too :)

Not long. :-)
Really Lovely image.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 01:12:05 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the kind words.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 03:29:40 PM »
HS, Im so glad you went back and redid the shot because this is wonderful!!! Love the feeling. Its a little bit scary but its adventurous too.
Phil, Love your Motel Xenia shots and this one has wonderful lines!!!
Sean, I want one of those Datsuns so much!!! Great shots, both of them. Those old signs for new developments always make me feel so melancholy.
Tkmedia, great grain! Works well with the harsh outline of the church.
Lino, very dreamy shots, both of them. And when scanning film, those hairs and dust spots are just par for the course.

Here is mine. This shot was taken with my Spectra camera using PZ600 film. This shot was taken in 33 or below temps in the middle of snowstorm in near whiteout conditions and it was the only shot that came out. The snow hit all the right places on the tree and made this shot look like a pencil sketch, in my opinion.
mojave

astrobeck

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 04:53:35 PM »
love the redo by hookstrapped, and Mojave, my,my my! I love that snowstorm tree.
Perfectly captured.

Phil, of course I like the old derelict Xenia.

Great weekend stuff from all really! 

wblati

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 05:58:48 PM »
nice photos so far(hookstrapped, lino)

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
Yes nice ones so far and no doubt more to come.

tkmedia, Really interesting grain in your image.  What film\process?  Is this micro reticulation perhaps?

Mike

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
taken during the Ice Festival in the park where I work in the summer..
definitely inspired by hookstrapped's work!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:52:54 PM by Diane Peterson »

Terry

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 08:38:59 PM »
Mojave, that's magical!

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
Hi all,

This is a door from Eastern State Penn in Philly.  Taken in the summer and printed (again and again . . .) last night on Ilford MG4 FB paper.  I'm learning about drydown, the hard way, of course.  :-)

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 10:52:13 PM »
Mojave, that´s beautiful. Like a drawing, like it.
Sean, that Datsun..
Hookstrapped, well done!!! One point for brave photoshooting!!  ;D

I went back for some street photo shooting with the Polaroid 195. The car with the lady was taken from my cab. I saw the lady and the car, thought about shooting it. Thought it twice. Decided was worth it. Took a light measurement, took out the camera, focus, frame, the lady´s car started moving, Shoot!!  :'(
The man with the Wolskwagen had been two years repairing it and getting parts for it, late 60´s. He had a shipping company. He asked for one POla, of coourse. Even somebdoy was able to identify the camera as a Polaroid. It was a nice shooting all in all.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 11:40:50 PM »

I went back for some street photo shooting with the Polaroid 195. The car with the lady was taken from my cab. I saw the lady and the car, thought about shooting it. Thought it twice. Decided was worth it. Took a light measurement, took out the camera, focus, frame, the lady´s car started moving, Shoot!!  :'(
The man with the Wolskwagen had been two years repairing it and getting parts for it, late 60´s. He had a shipping company. He asked for one POla, of coourse. Even somebdoy was able to identify the camera as a Polaroid. It was a nice shooting all in all.

Two very beautiful shots calbisu !!

I once had a beetle or "Fusca" back in the early 90's...

Can't remember the camera, and the neg have a "Kodak TMY 5053" imprint on the edge... it's one of my first films I've ever processed back in the college... :o
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »
Erin, that is stunning!!!

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 12:16:55 AM »
Thank you all for your very kind compliments! I think I might only ever be able to reproduce images like that with this film if I turn the light wheel up or make sure the temp outside is cold enough to freeze your fingertips, but Im sure going to try.  ;)

Carlos, so brave for taking a shot on the run like that. She might have started moving already but I love the way it turned out. And I love the shot of the guy and his bug! Wonderful.

Diane, awesome movement!!! Totally reminds me of HS's shots.

Love the door J!

Sapata, nice bug!!! I want one of those and I also want a baja bug so go offroading out here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:19:24 AM by Mojave »
mojave

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 12:55:17 AM »
Erin: Great to finally see the shot that we were talking about last week. And MY what a shot. It's an absolute beauty.

Hookstrapped: It's all about dedication, innit? Top marks. I was so hoping you'd make it back for a second attempt. Thanks for making my day.

Apologies to those of you who have seen these and others on Flickr, but I thought I'd re-post here because this is where they belong  ;) Taken 2 weekends ago down in Kent with my Bronny + homemade lens + TMAX400. Developed in Rodders (not Del Boy) at 1:100. I really like the amount of control over the blur and the pretty much non-existent DOF that the lens gives me. Seen really big the 2nd shot actually starts to freak me out because Amy looks superimposed on the background, but it's all straight off the camera no post-processing other than curves and cloning out dust.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 01:06:59 AM »
Ed -- great, especially love the first.

Is there a thread somewhere about your homemade lens?

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 02:21:55 AM »
Thank you so much Ed!! And please, dont apologize. Seeing these fantastic images here and on Flickr is my pleasure!

And yeah, is there someplace on FW where you talk about how you made your own lens? I keep wanting to do that but all the sites I find that talk about how to make your own lens are so involved that I always get confused and give up reading.
mojave

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 02:51:26 AM »
hey mojave, i started taking pictures because i couldn't draw. didn't knew one could do both at the same time. ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 05:58:36 AM »
Another cracking bunch of photos to get the weekend underway. Faves (so far at least) are Hookstrapped, Mojave and Ed - but that takes nothing away from the others. It's always a delight to look through the diverse and exceptionally high standard of shots on here.

I was listening to "Down in the tubestation..." by The Jam (I'm not a big fan, it was just on a compilation CD) and thought of this shot I took a short while ago - to give my Canon F1-N and 20-35mm f3.5L a bit of a try out...

I've also just had an out of date 120 roll of Provia 100F processed. It'd been in the fridge, so no apparent issues. I did, however, ru it through Lightroom 2 to give it a slightly desaturated, contrasty and vignette look. This is about a 25% crop from the original - 500c/m + 150mm lens.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:13:39 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Randy B

• My Website
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 06:37:10 AM »
Wow, i don't even know where to start. These are all fanatastic.  Thanks for sharing your great work.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 09:07:50 AM »
Ed, lovely first shot  ;D
Late developer, that´s a cool rim

One more from my side. Self developed, still have to work on my developing skills. Now is getting better. This time I putted some effort to measure rightly the liquids and times. Still as I do not have a thermometer I am guessing the temperature of the liquids. I think I am over developing. I am giving 26 degrees but I guess we must be around 28 at home  ::) I have developed two rolls here in the philippines, first one with 4 inversions every minute, second one with only  one movement of liquids every minute, no inversions. Still I think I am overdeveloping. Mmmh, I need a thermometer, should not be difficult... I guess that the temperature of he liquids must be the same as the temperature of the room where they are stored...  8) Is that right????  :'(

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »
that first image is sweet - well done!

and well done to the usual suspects . . .Phil, Sean, Mojave, Diane, Calbisu and Ed these are my specials!

and keep up the good word the rest of yez!  :D

here is mine shot during the week and a continuation on the relations project . . .

Harvey

• Peel Apart
    • Meandering Extracts
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »
Did I ever mention how much I love the weekend threads?!!
Hookstrapped, I know it's already been said but that is a great shot, the dervish like movement sets the model off well. Mojave, that is a picture I would pay for to hang on my wall! Love the effect.
Something a bit different from me this time, taken on the Mamiya TLR and coloured in PS.

wblati

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
aoluain - whats the relation of the two images(tall/straight structures)?

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 03:36:32 PM »
First test of 195 and portrait kit. Fuji silk film used as practice for levels without a meter (as thinking it may behave a little more predictably than all the expored polaroid film).

Happy weekend everyone.

Great shots above. Particularly like Calbisu VW polaroid.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:41:41 PM by Chalky »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »
I guess that the temperature of he liquids must be the same as the temperature of the room where they are stored...  8) Is that right????  :'(
Absolutely right.
I knew a guy who processed color at home at full temperature. He would crank up the heating in the darkroom and was processing during the winter in his bermudas and a T-shirt :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 08:19:44 PM »
aoluain - whats the relation of the two images(tall/straight structures)?

the relationship is water !  :D

greenstphotography

• 35mm
    • GreenStPhotography
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »
It's about time I jump in on one of these.

Here is an image from my currently in work project documenting the long recovery of my new rescue Jake.  Jake is Black Labrador/hound mix.  He is recovering from heartworm treatment, had them when I adopted him.  They are pretty serious, fatal if not treated.  The treatment also has some risks and requires a minimum of 30 days with no activity after the final two injections.  Which is not always easy for a dog.  I have posted extensively on my blog.  Well since he pretty much needs 24 hr a day monitoring, if something goes wrong you need to get them to the Vet with in the hour, I have been staying home with him.  Today is day 12 of 30 and counting.  I figured I might as well give myself a project and decided to start really playing around with the Impossible film I have in my fridge.  This was taken with my SX-70 Sonar with a timer using Impossible PX600.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »
a couple test shots with the rolleicord III, fuji acros, red filter and developed with hc-110 (haven't decided if i like the developer yet). i like the camera...simple and very light. kind of hard to get used to the shutter being fired with the same cocking switch under the lens after just pressing a button on every other camera, but i like the fact that there is less to go wrong, and the lens is nice. viewfinder is very dark, may see if i can replace it with the one from my non-working yashica-mat.
                                                                  - John Waters

Terry

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 03:15:33 AM »
I was in the city last night so I took the Exakta along...this is HP5 developed in Rodinal
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:17:29 AM by Terry »

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 03:39:33 AM »
just a couple of snapshots.  been busy at work for much dedicated shooting.... the second shot, 1/8 @ f-2.8, handheld so it's a tad fuzzy.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:41:49 AM by gregor »

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »
A Celebration;
Back on the bicycle after 10 years after sorting my CFS out. Had a wonderful ride  round the Isle of Harris [Golden Road] yesterday with my partner Eve - both on our old mountain bikes. Wonderful sunshine, roads and scenery to die for. A little achy today though ;-)

Took the Viv UW&S loaded with polypanf.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
nice work yet again from everyone.  Alouain  - A hint of the Bechers going on there - nicely done :>)

Andrea - I always enjoy your pics, great stuff.  What are these polypanf you keep talking about?  Sounds like a word for trousers made out of nylon said by someone with a lisp?  ;o)

Ed - get you and your blurtastic photographs! You'll be giving the Blurstine a run for her money soon ....

keep them coming everyone.

L.
L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »
nice work yet again from everyone.  Alouain  - A hint of the Bechers going on there - nicely done :>)

Andrea - I always enjoy your pics, great stuff.  What are these polypanf you keep talking about?  Sounds like a word for trousers made out of nylon said by someone with a lisp?  ;o)

Ed - get you and your blurtastic photographs! You'll be giving the Blurstine a run for her money soon ....

keep them coming everyone.

L.
Close :-) http://www.lumiere-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=111

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »
greenstphotography he seems to be a kind companion, and looking good at your shot! congrats
gregor, like the softness of the second one, is there a persons kind of performing in the first one, is that a play?

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »
Nice new additions everybody!!!

Green, love the image and your dog looks like a real sweetie.

Sean, wow! I just love, love, love that car shot!!!
mojave

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 05:54:25 PM »
a couple test shots with the rolleicord III, fuji acros, red filter and developed with hc-110 (haven't decided if i like the developer yet). i like the camera...simple and very light. kind of hard to get used to the shutter being fired with the same cocking switch under the lens after just pressing a button on every other camera, but i like the fact that there is less to go wrong, and the lens is nice. viewfinder is very dark, may see if i can replace it with the one from my non-working yashica-mat.

The car shot is stunning !
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
thanks leon!

the bechers work is fantastic for sure. their collections are great
a good source of inspriation.

my collections are not as precise as that though  :).

greenstphotography, god to hear you moggie is recovering from
a very serious condition and a good foto-documentary to come from it.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »

Hookstrapped - The Stairs - Soooo good
Sean - Tha Datsuns - I'm nine again
Ed - You've made me drag my sorry arse into getting developing my backlog

Sean - Also you print arrived this week from the exchange.  Thank you very much.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2011, 09:58:28 PM »
glad it arrived! 5 weeks, i was wondering if it would make it.
                                                                  - John Waters