Author Topic: The Contraption 4: Darkroom software - the big update  (Read 4883 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
The Contraption 4: Darkroom software - the big update
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »
I had been procrastinating for a while and decided to put it all together just now.

I've made a few modifications... and it's pretty much untested but it should work just fine.

Like the previous version (found Here), most of the apps stayed the same.

I did extensive mods on the Old Film applet which now supports every final sensitivity combination down to EI 6 without giving strange errors or crashing.

The Stop Calc, Film dev database and chemistry mixer have remained the same. I've added the missing start menu icon for the Shot on Film app.

In the new things, I've added a piece of code I'd been holding on to for a long time. The program is called ImageMatrix and is special photo manipulation software I wrote from scratch. It relies on the Freeimage.dll file which gets installed in the System32 folder. What it does is quite simple yet gave me weeks of headaches (I'm not working on this ever again!). You choose a large JPEG of your choice and it will crop it and save it into a multitude of small 4x6 prints. This was inspired by the Lomo Printshop and I thought it would be cool to do at home. My first version was a complex Photoshop script which I've converted to a standalone app with great pain. I know the program makes the prints precisely. If there are missing parts, it's due to the minilab which crops some of the images automatically. I've tried it with a 9 image split and it works. I still don't know how to put them on the wall without using tape or push pins... and my mom doesn't like the results... But anyways, I've included it in the suite.

I know everything to work fine under Windows. It works about 90% good with Linux (under Wine) and OSX (using BottledWine)... that's why I've included the Wingdings font since the programs make extensive use of it.

Anyways, enough talking. It's time to show the stuff. I've hosted it on my Skydrive so you shouldn't have any problem putting your hands on the file :)

Here's the link: Darkroom suite

Enjoy!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
Re: The Contraption 4: Darkroom software - the big update
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »
Just installed the new version Francois... a few pop-ups messages but I carried installing and so far seems to be working fine. Thanks a lot for that !

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:06:03 AM »
Thanks Francois, I've downloaded it and I'm going to have a play with it later.

Nigel
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
Just installed the new version Francois... a few pop-ups messages but I carried installing and so far seems to be working fine. Thanks a lot for that !
Mine gave me two pop up messages too. First one is because it tries to replace a newer DLL. Second is to ask if it should overwrite a font I included for the Linux/OSX boys.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »
what? huh? I don't really understand everything but it sounds cool and I'll definitely check it out if I can get at my computer a bit~
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
Don't worry about not understanding everything... once you start to play with it, it all becomes crystal clear (I hope) :)
Francois

Roger Thoms

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:26:14 AM »
Well this time I was able to successfully download and install. Played around a bit and it looks great. I really liked the chemical mixer, It confirmed some of my common dilutions that I've done with my calculator. What I really like is that the chemical mixer give you the results in Liter, ml, gal, and oz. I'll have to play with the mat calculator, and see if it can do the offsets I like to use. Very cool work Francois.

Roger
formerly rtbadman

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 03:41:28 PM »
Quick answer: yes the mat calculator does offsets :)
Offsets both vertically for optical centered images and offsets to compensate for the cutting tool's blade to edge thickness :)

Also, for those wondering what the Image Matrix software really does, this is a picture of my prototype test output... and the image is only limited to the size of your wall, not only 9 frames :)

Enjoy
Francois