Author Topic: nanny takes 100,000 photos  (Read 4253 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
nanny takes 100,000 photos
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »
this is pretty amazing. a nanny who took over 100,000 photos during her lifetime unearthed after her death.

http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=42%2C8%2C80&pid=A1hO97qcWo7ViDL_rWniVH2LakYxNa7J

some amazing stuff here. looks like she's having a show in chicago in 2011 - any filmwasters in chicago to give us a first hand report?

william

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: nanny takes 100,000 photos
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »
i see gord's gita lenz book in her collection!

good stuff...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 06:40:23 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »
Here is more of her work posted on the discover's blog- http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/  Would love to come across something like this myself!

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 08:16:35 PM »
A kickstarter program is also in the works to get a documentary made of her life http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/800508197/finding-vivian-maier-a-feature-length-documentary

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
I just found out about this lady today myself from a Facebook post. I cant remember who posted it though. Interesting article and I love her work. Really great stuff on that blog.
mojave

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:51:33 AM »
Amazing stuff,   

I recently got Gita's book myself and that is amazing work, through ion the back story and Gord's involvement and it adds a whole new dimension.... This is much the same.   Love it.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
Here is more of her work posted on the discover's blog- http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/  Would love to come across something like this myself!

It sounds like the makings of a great novel.  Several years ago I bought a book called 'Plant Kingdoms', about the work of Charles Jones. A gardner whose work was also discovered in the same kind of way - in a trunk at a flea market.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
WOW

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »
phew! there is some great stuff in there.

too bad she didn't had any recognition while she was still alive.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
Incredible - lets hope that she does get the recognition she deserves.

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 11:18:49 PM »
I'm hope she will too.

The pictures that I have seen are excellent and to my mind comparable with many other better known photographer.

Given the box loads of film yet to be developed I wonder when she stopped taking picture. I would be surprised if she continued into more recent years.

Mike

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
Great works.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 01:21:32 AM »
I've been following this one too and I'm sure enjoying Mr. Maloof's blog.

It's a shame that Vivian wasn't publicly known before her passing.  The work stands on it's own of course, but it would be a richer experience if we had more of Vivian herself; how nice it would be to have the writings, interviews and lectures that come with "success".

Still, what we have is a lot, and we're fortunate that this work found Mr. Maloof, who appears to be completely dedicated to preserving and publishing it.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:00:50 PM »
I-M-P-R-E-S-S-I-V-E  >:(

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
I would argue that you are wrong to assume that it is a shame that she wasn't recognised in her lifetime. It is a very modern thing to seek fame along with your photography.

This woman seems very determined so if she wanted fame and recognition I am in no doubt she could have found it.

I just think its wonderful hat she kept shooting and working on her body of work.

Could you keep going if you didn't receive some acclaim even if it was only from colleagues or friends?

This is astounding how prolific she was. A lot of the images a re very moving.
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 01:42:08 AM »
I would argue that you are wrong to assume that it is a shame that she wasn't recognised in her lifetime. It is a very modern thing to seek fame along with your photography.

This woman seems very determined so if she wanted fame and recognition I am in no doubt she could have found it.

I just think its wonderful hat she kept shooting and working on her body of work.

Could you keep going if you didn't receive some acclaim even if it was only from colleagues or friends?

Totally Agree

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 01:46:32 AM »
I've been looking on and off for a while too, and am now pleased to see a potential book & DVD being made. I subscribed accordingly. See ya! Skj.

Terry

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 03:02:58 AM »
Ditto that--I want to see the film!  I think I like her stuff as well as (and maybe better than, once more is available) Robert Frank's.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
I can only chime in that I really like how this has evolved! the blog is good for a look through now and then so I'd really appreciate a book of her stuff :)
/jonas

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 11:43:36 AM »

Totally Agree

Reading this thread 4 months late I just wanted to chime and and say I agreed with Ken as well. Fame, schmame. If Vivian Maier wanted recognition then it would be a shame she didn't receive it while she was alive, however there's a good chance she just liked taking photos for other reasons, in which case it's a shame for the world at large (prior to the recent discovery of her work) that her photos weren't accessible, but surely not for her.

In fact the more I think about it, the more her case throws up all sorts of questions about photography and fame and recognition and why we do this sort of thing. This one will run and run.

...oh and by the way, I absolutely love the work I've seen. It's very, very strong stuff indeed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:45:34 AM by ed.wenn »

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »
Her photography is so obsessively refreshing. We have all seen the bodies of work of other classic greats so often that to discover a body of work such as this is wonderful. It really challenges the status quo of the accepted list of master photographers of the era.

I certainly hope they tour an exhibition of her over here in blighty one day.
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/