Author Topic: best thrift store Polaroid choice???  (Read 1625 times)

astrobeck

best thrift store Polaroid choice???
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:40:10 AM »
I popped in my favorite thrift store today and saw about 6 Polaroid cameras on the shelf.
All of them for about 3.99 each.

They were Polaroid Sun 600
 and a couple of Sun 660's.

Any idea of which model is the preferred or are they both clunkers.  They seemed new and the shutter clicked and the film doors opened, so at least seemed usable with the proper film.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
Re: best thrift store Polaroid choice???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 07:50:20 AM »
Hmm don't know what the Sun 600 is but the Land List seems to suggest the Sun 660 have sonar autofocus which may be better (don't think you can turn it off, though, unlike on the sx-70). They don't seem to be SLRs  either if that matters. http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landdcam-600.htm
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
You can't turn off the autofocus on any of the 600 series Sonar cameras. They're not reflex viewing either. If I had my choice, I'd go for the Sonar one (with the big gold disk on front) since it's the only one with a variable focus. The others rely on depth of field and a slide-on close-up lens.

One thing you have control over is the flash. The trigger has two steps. The front of the button is for charging up the flash and triggering it. The little L shaped button behind it is for flash-less pictures.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

astrobeck

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »
Thanks for the link and the tips you guys.  I may cruise back to that store later today and give them another look over.  Mind you I don't need another camera, but as we mentioned in another thread...there's that Black Hole to consider.  ;D