Author Topic: Score two for film!  (Read 1634 times)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
Score two for film!
« on: November 10, 2010, 12:52:17 PM »
Earlier this week I heard about the winner of a 'European Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2010' award.   Britta Jaschinski shot the award winning image on 35mm film. 
(Her wildlife stuff is fabulous!  http://www.brittaphotography.com/)
The winning image is here (sorry - only in German): http://www.gdtfoto.de/content.php?siteloc=414

This morning I read about another film shooter (this time medium format) winning big.  David Chancellor took home the Taylor Wessing portrait prize for this amazing portrait http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2010/nov/09/taylor-wedding-photographic-portrait-prize

Both very inspiring and well deserved!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Score two for film!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 01:56:05 PM »
Good stuff indeed, Ann. Thanks for the heads-up. Thought I'd link the two images here directly so that people could see them.

I was underwhelmed by the cheetah photo at first, then I looked at it some more and decided I actually quite liked it.....then I read the accompanying text (a childhood spent in Germany coming in handy for once) and decided that I liked it a lot.

I suspect that the second image needs to be seen a whole lot bigger than this to appreciate some of the detail. Obviously, I'm a little ambivalent about the subject matter, but can appreciate it on other levels.

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »
both of these are stunners, and I am awed by the dedication of the photographer.
Thumbs up for sticking with film too!

Thanks for sharing. :)

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »
I was hoping David Chancellor would win, superb photograph.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
Just exploring Britta Jaschinski's website.. nice stuff.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 04:19:31 PM »
Yes great to hear people using film and being recognised
for it too in a kind of professional way and winning awards, cool.

As regards the images I too feel underwhelmed still.

:-\

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »
Pretty good stuff...

I guess people (specially the generation that never had the chance to shoot with film) will look at this images and give more credit, sometimes they make me feel as if I'm an alien or if I'd just woken up from a terrible coma I had back in the 80's...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »
Sapata
I still haven't fully woken from that coma  :)
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:13 PM »
I'm truly delighted that film shots have triumphed and it should be hailed as a bit of much-needed positive publicity for a medium so many have tried so hard to write off. However.....

In my opinion, whilst the shot of the cheetah works beautifully as a "pictorial" shot, I'm amazed it received a "wildlife" accolade. I'll bet there's some head-scratching going on by many of the other entrants.

The portrait looks like it's been shot against a painted background (I'm sure it hasn't, but it just looks that way to me). I've seen a lot better on this and many other sites.

There's hope for us all, folks....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:38:25 PM »
I was going to post the very same for the latter image. Thanks. Love the Cheetah, it captures the flight, wariness and elegance of these beautiful animals. Good job the girl in the second photo didn't get that shot.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »
After looking at Britta's website I decided that I really like her style. 

David Chancellor's image (Fuji 160VC) rendered such beautiful color.  Not a big fan of seeing dead animals (when, as in this case the insinuation to me being that it was at the hands of a human), but I still love it.  I agree with you Ed - the small image doesn't do it justice, it really is a stunner from corner to corner.  (I know I'd seen it bigger than the link I posted here, but can't remember where).

roman

• flickr
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 05:05:25 AM »
both of the images are great, i'm glad that the film is gaining popularity lately... at least that what they tell me at my local lab  ;D
Roman B
flickr.com/romanb

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 10:32:57 AM »
I really like both the images, of course they represent two totally different types of film image, one B&W lo-fi and one colour medium format-but hey that's why I shoot film for the pre-ordained options.

The hunter is my favourite of the two, I like the look of pride on the girls face, coupled with the way she's presenting her kill to the camera-slightly grizzly for most people, but makes for a powerful image.

Someone asked where you can find a large image, if you go here and under the text on the LHS you'll find a 'view image' link

http://www.npg.org.uk:8080/photoprize/site10/exhibition_winners.php

Regards
Mark Antony
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.