Author Topic: Using the Diana Mini with 35mm film  (Read 1478 times)

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
Using the Diana Mini with 35mm film
« on: August 20, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »
I am actually liking this little camera..especially like that it can shoot square over 35 mm film..means I can get it developed anywhere I happen to be..and I like the results..this from a road trip to Montana to hear cowboy poet Ian Tyson..well worth the 12 hour drive (one way)..and it just so happened there was a big fair in town so got to shoot a few rolls with this little camera..Kinda light and feels "delicate" but I tend to be careful with my cameras so as long as I don't forget and through it in the bottom of my bag I will prolly be okay!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Re: Using the Diana Mini with 35mm film
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
These are lovely, Diane. The colour is great, as is Montana!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 03:58:13 PM »
I know the Mini is a very underrated camera...
Besides, it's as cute as puppies :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:09:33 PM »
I might have to consider this camera. These are awesome and I totally dig the square format. Didnt know you could get that from a 35mm. I mean, I didnt realize the mini's did that.
mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »
Yep. They do that and half frame.
The half frame framing is extra sensitive to the way you align the camera (I use the lens barrel as a guide).
Also, if you have big hands, you might have problems with the controls (like when I tried with mittens)...
Other than that, it's a fine camera (though it's on the fragile side).
Francois

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:33:22 PM »
Thank you Francois! How are they fragile?
mojave

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 11:02:02 PM »
Thank you Francois! How are they fragile?
Well, I have the feeling the winding mechanism is a bit "loose". Feels very plasticky and probably easy to over torque. That's probably it's only real weakness...

But the back closure feels as secure as can be (much better than a Holga). The shutter is snappy
Francois

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »
Thank you so much Francois! I totally get it. I might have to take my chances on that, and besides, Im pretty good with super glue.  :)
mojave

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • picturenoise
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »
I am actually liking this little camera..especially like that it can shoot square over 35 mm film..means I can get it developed anywhere I happen to be..and I like the results..this from a road trip to Montana to hear cowboy poet Ian Tyson..well worth the 12 hour drive (one way)..and it just so happened there was a big fair in town so got to shoot a few rolls with this little camera..Kinda light and feels "delicate" but I tend to be careful with my cameras so as long as I don't forget and through it in the bottom of my bag I will prolly be okay!

Diane... these pictures are really great ! How did you get them so well scanned ? Normally you get to see lots of grain (more noise actually) on 35mm  but yours looks like 120 neg. First picture is brilliant !

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 11:57:50 PM »
Sapata..thank you!...just scanned them in my epson scanner..and I use the vuescan software..it always seems to do a good job and I have been using it for 10 years!(not at home right now so don't remember which scanner I used but it was an epson) just dumb luck I guess..I was really happy with the results..I hope the next roll I shoot turns out as well..maybe I will take this camera to Ecuador..though worry about breaking it when stuffed in my backpack..:<)