Author Topic: This Sums Up What I Find Irritating....  (Read 1987 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
This Sums Up What I Find Irritating....
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:11:46 PM »
....about the recent hoo-hah surrounding the Impossible Project's press conference this week. I agree wholeheartedly with Damion's comments in the other thread about how the people involved with TIP come across as honest, dedicated and wholly decent individuals, but I take exception to the fact that TIP and its well-wishers along with a lot of journalists seem to have created a situation where TIP are being seen as the only game in town....the saviours of instant photography.

As an example, take this extract from a short speech/presentation that Doc gave in Tokyo recently:

"We are the only company in the world that can produce new instant film, hopefully for the traditional cameras."

(If you want to see the clip go to http://www.youtube.com/user/Mijonju#p/a/u/1/VHqbzEtbuWU and zoom ahead to 5:25 mins. With thanks to the always amazing Mijonju Show).

Now look, I know there are a couple of different interpretations one can put on Doc's words (worth also saying that he's not a native English speaker and that he's chatting in public in a somewhat informal setting), but is he really suggesting that no-one else in the world is making instant film for old cameras, or that no-one else is able to develop new product lines in this area?

Earlier in the talk, Doc does specify the cameras which TIP is producing film for, so seen as a whole it's all above board, but a phrase like that does tend to leap out at you. It's clear to me that, as an avid Land Camera + peel apart film user, part of the problem is that I'm jealous of all the integral talk we're hearing this week, but it's also true that my hype detector has been picking up a bit too much of this sort of thing over the last few days.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Re: This Sums Up What I Find Irritating....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »
I'd agree. I love what the Impossible Project is trying to do, and I'm excited to try the new stuff (even though what I've seen so far of it doesn't look promising). But there is that aspect to it that makes me wonder how much is just attention or fame seeking. Of course, that's is part of our current culture, but I'd hate to see them suck all the air out of the room, suffocating Fuji in the process.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
Anyone know of somewhere good in UK to buy the FP-3000?

7dayshop don't stock it!
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »

7dayshop don't stock it!

Not in the UK,  but I did land 5 packs for about GBP 55  from ebay - delivered from HK.

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:32:06 PM »
yes, i'm with you on this ed....but then i think fuji instant is such great value in comparison anyway as well as being brilliant quality......also it starts feeling like i'm not cool enough {and don't want to be cool enough} for 600....

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
I have always been a huge fan of the Fuji peel apart film - fine quality that I hope will be around for a long time.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »
People behind this project were the same that lauched the lomographic society about 10 years ago... so this is a familiar scenario high prices, fuzz in the media etc...
Don't get me wrong ! I support the project as better having the chance to buy than nothing...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:10:18 PM »

7dayshop don't stock it!

Yep, as far as I know you cannae buy it in the UK. My understanding is that it's recently been made available in the USA.

I'm with the rest of you; I love the Fuji peel apart film. Awesome stuff.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:14:21 PM »
We definitely need the competition!  I'm a fan of both :)

Miller

• Sheet Film
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 10:51:54 PM »
http://www.discountfilmsdirect.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Fuji_FP_300_Gloss_B&W_Instant_Print_Film.html

Bought 3000 from them recently with no problems....

You can't fight marketing and hype, it's the world we live in now.... To be honest, until I spoke to a journo from the BBC World Service last Summer I knew nothing of this TIP agenda. It smelled of Lomo and the fact that the journo didn't know any photographic jargon but had the story was enough for me to go back into hibernation.

TIP will help analogue photographers dispose of their income, nothing more, nothing less while Fuji serves a professional purpose..... It says it on the box.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:03:26 PM by Miller »
https://www.ishottheimage.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miller23/

I decided to enlarge the Polaroids, because, as the wolf said to Red Riding Hood, “all the better to see you with, my dear.” Mrs Helmut Newton

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »
Miller, thanks a million for that link. The site looks good and the prices are decent too. Nice.

BTW, you can fight the marketing and hype in one way...by not buying the product being marketed. But I do agree with your larger point.
 :)