Author Topic: Tim Hunkin's homemade ULF cameras  (Read 3225 times)

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
Tim Hunkin's homemade ULF cameras
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:47:31 AM »
I was searching for the cartoonist/engineer Tim Hunkin for something else and came across his site. Turns out he makes cameras too:
http://www.timhunkin.com/61_cameras.htm

Aren't these awesome?- 16x20 colour positives on Cibachrome paper and some of the cameras designed so you just pour the chemistry in....

I might have to try and get my hands on some Ilfochrome paper and build one of these beasts

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:53:49 AM by DS »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Tim Hunkin's homemade ULF cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:25:35 PM »
Wow! Fascinating stuff. I love the portraits he produces (it's just a shame his web site is so poor and you have to hunt for the nice big, colour portrait of the woman in the office).

Thanks for the link.

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:39:26 PM »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »
Love those!
I can just imagine the smell of the suitcase camera... must make going through customs quite hazardous  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:30:54 PM »
Actually, DS, that second link gives a lot more info, so thanks a lot. Great stuff & a fascinating find.

Er, I hardly dare ask this, but does Ilfochrome paper still exist? If not are there equivalents?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »
Actually, DS, that second link gives a lot more info, so thanks a lot. Great stuff & a fascinating find.

Er, I hardly dare ask this, but does Ilfochrome paper still exist? If not are there equivalents?
I just checked and Ilfochrome is still listed on their website. It probably will be for a long time too since I don't know any other product that gives such vivid colors.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

DS

• Peel Apart
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
Yeah- I checked out the Ilford website too. I couldn't see how fussy the development process is in terms of temperature anywhere so I emailed Tim.

He told me that the Ilfochorme process is not as fussy as most colour processes and that he doesn't really measure the temperature- just times it. How that works in the Northern parts I frequent I don't know

I'm itching to build one of these- might be my summer project. Will probably skip the whole developing in-camera thing though.... Nova Darkroom sells the paper and the chems- they're quite pricey  :-\. The problem I have is the stuff goes off after a month so I'd have to shoot and develop 25 sheets in that time.  Might be tricky.

I'll also have to find a lens and make some pinholes.....