Author Topic: Your favorite lens?  (Read 5012 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
Your favorite lens?
« on: March 21, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
Today, after seeing Sean and Skorj's very luminous lenses, I thought I definitely need to drool a bit on my desk.
So I ask you: What's your favorite lens?
I'm talking about something you actually own and use. Not something exotic you can only find in a catalog.

To start things off, I decided to present you my favorite.

It's not a lens I use everyday but it's the only lens that is guaranteed to get me out of a rut when I'm stuck and my usual 28-70 is not enough.
I'm talking about my Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5
You read right: 17mm!
Over 100 degrees of view. But the great thing about this one is it isn't a fisheye. The lens has absolutely no barrel distortion. Very well corrected. Comes with built-in filters that you select using a special ring. Focus is silky smooth.

It does have a few drawbacks. First, the lens does not take any filters or sun shade. There isn't even a thread on the lens to fit one on. This makes the special lens cap hard to keep on as it tends to slip. And with the very bulbous lens, you simply can't fit any other lens cap on the market. This also makes it prone to lens flare. And since the angle of vision is so great, it tends to play tricks on the meter causing the camera to underexpose...

But still, it's a charm to use.

The lens was given to me years ago by my mom's cousin who didn't use it... it's only after he realized how much it's worth!

Anyways, here are a few pictures taken with it last month at a local golf course. The street light was taken by guesstimating the focus and using the self timer (camera flat on its back on a concrete pillar)... look 'ma, no hands :)

And of course, a picture of the lens. I want to see drool on those keyboards ;)

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Re: Your favorite lens?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »
I basically love any 50mm and own several, but my Rollei  Planar 1.8 at the moment is my favourite...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
I'm talking about my Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5

It does have a few drawbacks. First, the lens does not take any filters or sun shade.

The lens has a dedicated hood which is threaded to take filters and which clamps to the front of the lens. I think the hood was supplied with the lens originally but I might be wrong. I had one with mine but I've since sold it. Might find one on the bay maybe.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
I am still in love  with the 38mm lens attached to my Hasselblad SWC/M which as just as well as it is not removable. Buying this camera was the best move I ever made.

MMmmmmm did I ought to say other than marrying Jan? Yes, let's say that as I value my physical health and she may be reading this.

This isn't my camera I hasten to add, I use the Bessa angle finder which makes the camera an absolute joy to use.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:55:05 PM by Phil Bebbington »

astrobeck

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »
Francois-
You've been holding out on us!   ;)
That street light photo is brilliant!

My favorite lens of the moment is the Sigma super wide II  24mm
It's not ultra fast, but for the moment fast enough.

christopher walrath

• 35mm
  • Christopher A Walrath
    • Christopher A. Walrath Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
My favorite would be the 127mm Ektar mounted in a Super Flashmatic shutter that is on my B&J.  I haven't used another camera since I got this gem in October.  It came on the camera with the lens adapter and a Kodak Telek Series VI +2 lens.  I have since added a +4 Telek (telephoto) and a couple of Portras (+2 and +3 for widening).  But the lens works like a charm with a little bit of basic cleaning of it and the shutter.  I have an old Kodak Reference Handbook which breaks them down sufficiently.  Haven't made many exposures and have a backlog of negs to develop.  I have been printing this last year + as I just began last March.  So, I am getting into new things little by little.  Need to soup, mash and expose these negs.
Thank you.
My name is Chris Walrath.
I am a 4x5 TZS Photographer and I have fun in dark rooms with chemicals.

WUBBA WUBBA WUBBA, BING BANG BONG.  YUCK YUCK YUCK AND A FIDDLE-DEE-DEE. - The Yeti

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 07:08:37 AM »
I'm still enjoying the Tokina 28-85mm zoom lens for my Minolta X-300. I especially like the macro mode that comes with it. Most of the time I want to get close and that's the only lens and camera that allows me to do that. Hm, maybe it's time to upgrade to the 100mm macro lens. Shouldn't cost the world now anymore.

Urban

PS: Sorry for the crappy scan.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 08:16:12 AM »
mine is my Aquula - it has a biconvex construction that seems to  resolve light and detail with extreme accuracy, and although there are some reports of colour inconsistencies, mine gives a very natural colour rendering.  Strangely, the focal length is around 40mm, but it covers a field of about 160 degrees.

It's not perfect though - I struggle to focus on infinity, so I need to use a supplementary lens to correct this. Macro distances are good - 10 cm or less and still sharp as a pin.

It should be good, it's been a VERY long time in development - much longer than any other manufacturer I know of.

In fact I have 2 of them.

(see what I did there?)
L.

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »
Clever ... clever ... Mr. T. ;)

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 09:37:27 AM »
mine is my Aquula - it has a biconvex construction that seems to  resolve light and detail with extreme accuracy, and although there are some reports of colour inconsistencies, mine gives a very natural colour rendering.  Strangely, the focal length is around 40mm, but it covers a field of about 160 degrees.

It's not perfect though - I struggle to focus on infinity, so I need to use a supplementary lens to correct this. Macro distances are good - 10 cm or less and still sharp as a pin.

It should be good, it's been a VERY long time in development - much longer than any other manufacturer I know of.

In fact I have 2 of them.

(see what I did there?)

They're a sod to clean with a lens-cloth though aren't they?  ;D
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 07:10:18 PM »
Och Leon, a no rat yoo wis chust testin mee, but dinnae wurrie, a no wit yoor aboot ther  ;) ;)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:36 AM »
Francois - that's a dream!  And Phil - I'm quite envious - how I covet that lens.  My favorite has to be my Aero Ektar 178mm / f2.5

wavebeat

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 04:25:36 PM »
this is my favourite; a 50mm, 3.5, Elmar, screwed into my favourite camera ; a 1933 Leica Standard.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 09:50:55 PM »
And you still use it regularly?
Francois

wavebeat

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »
Oh yeah! pretty much the only camera I use.

Sometimes slum it tho' with a lllb, but the Standard is my true love.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »
I still have my Grandpa's Leica with the exact same lens... but on a more recent body and with less brass showing. I'm scared of using it as I fear I could "desecrate" it in some way. But I wind it once in a while to make sure it still works...
Francois

wavebeat

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »
Well I'm sure your Grandpa's old Leica would find its self in more than capable hands ... give it ago, they are tough old buggers.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »
I have two favourites. Both Cosina Voigtlander and both 28mm. One is the f/1.9 and the other the f/3.5. If I had to just have one it would be the f/1.9 but the f/3.5 is so small it's just easier to carry.

This is the f/1.9

and this is the f/3.5

"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 01:54:13 AM »
1.9 Ed!  That's a beaut'!!!