Author Topic: Grumble  (Read 2197 times)

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
Grumble
« on: March 12, 2010, 10:43:49 AM »
It has been like forever since I have had a moment to go hunting. As in hunting for stuff to photograph.

Yesterday I took the afternoon off as I had worked to 7pm 3 nights in a row and needed to be not at work, I had brought my FM2, 24mm, 50mm, 100mm with me to work plus  several rolls of film. I had my walking shoes on and away I went.

Bloody English weather, it said sunny on the forecast and 7c. I walked north of Marylebone road up towards church street markets then over to Regents park. I was going to walk to Camden, but in the end it was so dark, grey and miserably cold I got on a bus and made my way to Foyles bookshop for coffee before I caught the bus home, I was so dissapointed.

Number of photos taken - ZERO

Why - the light was flatter than my girlfriend I had in the sixth grade  the squirrel that didn't quite make the crossing nearby.

I now understand why many English photographers end up drunk most of the time as there is nothing to do while waiting for this bloody weather to clear.

Foot note: I am looking out the window and there is a modicum of what could be considered light and I am working to 7pm today - damn you English weather and you twisted sense of humour.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:26:34 PM by ken182 »
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
Re: Grumble
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »
Then you need to look at something different to photograph.  Let me swap Glasgow for the light of London - at least you have some light for most of the year. There must be people odd signs things that could be juxtaposed it is not that there aren't things to photograph its just that you are not looking properly.  A quick look at some of the quirky images on this site or at Andrew Sanderson's website/blog should help. Me I am off to tidy the darkroom, replace bulbs in my uv box, and maybe print a couple of images this afternoon.  If not there are always tulips knocking around.   ;)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:28:30 AM »
*drinks*
;)

no, i do sympathise...i took a roll of a field with trees today just because the light was so pretty....i have little hope for the pictures but at least i had the pleasure of seeing it.

tinm@n

• Photobeautique
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:00:56 PM »
I've been completely spoilt with light and atmosphere in Venice so I was dreading coming back to the UK.  However I've had some good light this week, in Glasgow too as it happens .  I'll post one or 2 on the weekend thread when it gets going.

Re. Glasgow - Carl, weren't we meant to be meeting for a pint and chat sometime ?

Sun is shining as we speak so I'm off out round West End again ;-)

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »
Well, the sun is so bright here I don't like to snap today. Much prefer soft light, cloudy dull days and storms.
Maybe you should get some B&W in the camera

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »
Cheer up- the equinox is only just around the corner (9 days)- then spring will have sprung and the bright nights will come.

Until then get some fingerless gloves and fast film....

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »
I've been completely spoilt with light and atmosphere in Venice so I was dreading coming back to the UK.  However I've had some good light this week, in Glasgow too as it happens .  I'll post one or 2 on the weekend thread when it gets going.

Re. Glasgow - Carl, weren't we meant to be meeting for a pint and chat sometime ?

Sun is shining as we speak so I'm off out round West End again ;-)

Indeed we were although I'm teetotal ish.  Give it a couple more weeks and we'll have some uv - could even make a plate or two :)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »
.................... its just that you are not looking properly ............

Ouch, if I was in the afore mentioned drunken state these could be fightin' words bucko!

Perhaps on the contrary I was looking properly but because it was so grey, overcast, dark and drab it all looked the same and I was hoping to find something different this time out  :D

cheers

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
I always thought it was a Canadian thing to whine about the weather ;)

Luckily, spring is just around the bend. But if you want boring dull, I invite you in my Winter Wonderland on a snowy year around February. It's dark, dull, cold, you can't drive like you want or where you want, the slush is brown, cars covered in white calcium, scenery is just as bad, there's nobody going out for fun, you have to drive for hours in slippery conditions to just find some place decent to shoot two frames...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 10:37:55 PM »
It has been like forever since I have had a moment to go hunting. As in hunting for stuff to photograph.

Yesterday I took the afternoon off as I had worked to 7pm 3 nights in a row and needed to be not at work, I had brought my FM2, 24mm, 50mm, 100mm with me to work plus  several rolls of film. I had my walking shoes on and away I went.

Bloody English weather, it said sunny on the forecast and 7c. I walked north of Marylebone road up towards church street markets then over to Regents park. I was going to walk to Camden, but in the end it was so dark, grey and miserably cold I got on a bus and made my way to Foyles bookshop for coffee before I caught the bus home, I was so dissapointed.

Number of photos taken - ZERO

Why - the light was flatter than my girlfriend I had in the sixth grade  the squirrel that didn't quite make the crossing nearby.

I now understand why many English photographers end up drunk most of the time as there is nothing to do while waiting for this bloody weather to clear.

Foot note: I am looking out the window and there is a modicum of what could be considered light and I am working to 7pm today - damn you English weather and you twisted sense of humour.

I'm with you... I have about 4 cameras loaded with film and it's been hard to use them !

When I moved to London I didn't quite understand why people would get so crazy when a slightest ray of sun would show up ...  coming from a country where the sun shine most of the year I use to take it for granted... now I fully understand !
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 11:03:25 PM »
Most musicians will admit to days when they just don't want to play their instrument.  It doesn't feel good or sound good and the first few notes of the day only seem to make it worse.  The generally accepted wisdom is to play anyway.  After a little bit of slogging away, it will get better and the funk will go away.  Then it becomes worth it again.  I know this to be true from personal experience.  I wonder if the same is true for the camera arts.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
.................... its just that you are not looking properly ............

Ouch, if I was in the afore mentioned drunken state these could be fightin' words bucko!

Perhaps on the contrary I was looking properly but because it was so grey, overcast, dark and drab it all looked the same and I was hoping to find something different this time out  :D

cheers

Aftr surgery on the jaw this week I'm not up to fighting and not up to a little inspiring talk either :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
Aftr surgery on the jaw this week I'm not up to fighting and not up to a little inspiring talk either :)
Ouch! Take care of that brand new potato masher :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

• Sheet Film
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »
well I tried again today, but only took some frames to make myself feel better.

The light started off nice but as soon as i put film in the camera the clouds came over ::) ::)

maybe next time

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »

well I tried again today, but only took some frames to make myself feel better.
The light started off nice but as soon as i put film in the camera the clouds came over ::) ::)
maybe next time

classic...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com