Author Topic: I just love booksales!  (Read 1271 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
I just love booksales!
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »
Yes, it's true. I just love booksales. And if I miss one, I usually bite my fingers for the following 6 months (OK, maybe not that much but still...).

Last Friday was the first sale of the season. It was taking place at the next town's Anglican church. I always go since they usually make me a good deal and this year was no exception. I managed to grab 11 photo books for little over 12$. That's like 1$ a book... super cheap. And yes, for that price I even got Phaidon's Century... Unbelievable!

Most of the books are slightly old but who cares!
They don't smell and are as clean as new.

I got the Maxxum book to go with the Minolta I bought late last year (which is still missing a lens).
The photography catalog which is a massive index of pretty much everything photographic (and the cover photo montages makes me smile).
The Outdoor Photographer's Digest which gives tips for shooting anything from landscapes to bass fishing (I can just imagine myself trying to catch a fish  ::) )
The concerned photographer contains mostly photo journalism from the 1960's
The other titles pretty much talk for themselves...

All great reading material. If I could just find a bit more time...

And there's another sale next Friday at another church...  :D

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: I just love booksales!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:23:10 AM »
Nice catch there Francois. I like the sound of "the concerned photographer".
L.

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 11:42:05 AM »
You too would be concerned if you had released a photgraphy book without a photo on the cover.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
You too would be concerned if you had released a photgraphy book without a photo on the cover.

LOL - maybe that's how concerned he or she is about their work ... too concerned to show in public.
L.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:50:33 PM »
I love photography books!  I've filled my bookshelves with them and am a wee bit obsessed.  Great deal, Francois!!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »
I love photography books!  I've filled my bookshelves with them and am a wee bit obsessed.
It's not an obsession... those bookcases need to be weighted down otherwise they're so easy to topple over  ;D

The concerned photographer is a follow-up book to an exhibition that took place in '67 (the book was published in '72). It contains humanist pictures depicting both the best and the worse of humankind. It features the pictures of Marc Riboud, Roman Vishniac, Bruce Davidson, Gordon Parks, Ernst Haas, Hiroshi Hamaya, Donald McCullin and W. Eugene Smith. I must admit most of the pictures are hearthbreaking (it is about concerned photographers), so it won't be my favorite book of the lot I'm pretty sure. But the print quality is very good and some of the images are simply gorgeous.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

christopher walrath

• 35mm
  • Christopher A Walrath
    • Christopher A. Walrath Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 11:32:29 PM »
We have a cubby-hole bookseller in town.  The kind of store where the books are organized where HE can lead you oughly where you want to go.  I purchase old hardbound theory and chemistry photography books from him on a more or less regular basis.  And it's great when he asks you to tend the store for ten minutes around noon so he can walk down to the ATM and then over to the deli and get a grinder.  I love small town Delaware.  There are examples of times gone by.
Thank you.
My name is Chris Walrath.
I am a 4x5 TZS Photographer and I have fun in dark rooms with chemicals.

WUBBA WUBBA WUBBA, BING BANG BONG.  YUCK YUCK YUCK AND A FIDDLE-DEE-DEE. - The Yeti