Author Topic: SNOW!  (Read 2818 times)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
SNOW!
« on: December 19, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »
Here on the east coast we're getting hit with a big snowstorm this weekend - just what I was hoping for (so I could photograph the Christmas lights)! Hopefully, it will be a pretty snow and not just a nasty snow.

Anyone else treking out in the elements this weekend? (I spoke with a friend in the UK who said the snow is piled up there, where she is, as well).

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: SNOW!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »
yup - we've had a fair amount dumped on us over the past couple of days - along with a fresh blast of north easterlies siberian air.  I went out with rf this morning but only took 1 frame ... I had a moaning 11 y/o with me who would rather be on his X-box and a cold whippet who would rather be by the fire at home, so not much time for exploring compositions etc!  I very refreshing walk none-the-less.
L.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
I'm up to about 18 inches right now.  Won't stop until tomorrow!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »
East coast USA is getting hit hard!
Usually winter tires are not necessary but this is getting ridiculous...
Hope none of you are suffering too much from the cold and the white stuff...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

K. Praslowicz

• 35mm
    • K. Praslowicz, Photographer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:36:12 PM »
I'm jealous. I've had a mean itch to hurry up and do some deep snow night photography, but all we seem to be getting is flurries.
K. Praslowicz: Blog | Gallery | Flickr

pdewolff

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:31:22 AM »
 Bedroomview this morning, it started last night and this morning we had a real storm for one hour, its nice because of the weekend ( The Netherlands, south-west coast )

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 03:49:10 AM »
we had a few very small flurries last week - didn't stick though which was a big disappointment.. In seattle, snow that sticks is big news.

last year we had a couple of really nice snow falls.  Took a few rolls each time.  I think this turned out to be my fave.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 03:53:42 AM by gregor »

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 04:35:29 AM »
love the window view of the windmill...that is just so cool...seriously cool right now I guess.

:) :)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:13:10 PM »
I am LOVING this snow!  We ended up with 2 ft in a 24hr period! It's that beautiful fine powdery type that sparkles like diamonds.   Truly makes it look and feel like Christmastime. 

PdeWolff - those winter images are a dream!
Gregor - love that too

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »
I know it sounds silly but the best time is always during the storm. The air smells great, everything is quieter and you can sometimes hear the flakes hitting the ground...
You gear gets plenty wet but for some odd reason, shooting pictures seems almost secondary to simply enjoying the weather.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »
I know it sounds silly...

not silly at all. It always seems to be a perfect moment of quiet an stillness. 

snewbery

• Sheila Newbery Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 03:47:35 AM »
Piet---those snow shots: wonderful!

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »
We had quite a bit but it's mostly gone now. I took these at the weekend.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »
making the best of your new toy there Nigel!  really nice snow rendering (on my screen at least) - just goes to show how good those C/V lightmeters are.
L.

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 01:42:17 AM »
As the number of shovels-full goes up, my appreciation of the beauty of snow goes down--exponentially--and this past weekend, I shoveled far too many.  Even so, Nigel, I especially like your second snow picture.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
Blaxton - thank you

Leon - generally I'm loving the Bessa but I am having a bit of trouble getting used to the viewfinder / 40mm frame lines. So much so that this week I'd resolved to sell the 40mm lens and get a 50. I've settled down from that now but it's not easy to use with the 40mm. I'd be interested to hear what lenses you have and how you find it?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 09:34:12 AM »
Leon - generally I'm loving the Bessa but I am having a bit of trouble getting used to the viewfinder / 40mm frame lines. So much so that this week I'd resolved to sell the 40mm lens and get a 50. I've settled down from that now but it's not easy to use with the 40mm. I'd be interested to hear what lenses you have and how you find it?

I have to admit that I sold my 40mm and got a 50!  but not because I consciously struggled to use the framelines, but because I found I would invariably crop all my 40mm frames to roughly what the 50mm would have seen.  I only noticed this in the darkroom though.  I find the 50mm with the 1:1 viewfinder is really good to use - for me anyway.

I'd stick with your 40mm for now though if you can.  Give it a good few months - 1 year to see how you feel about it then.

I also have a the 21mm lens which I really like.
L.