Author Topic: ....Because People Can't Live on Photography Alone  (Read 2668 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
....Because People Can't Live on Photography Alone
« on: October 21, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »
Team, with the help of a few Filmwasters regulars I have set up a web site unrelated to photography where people can drop in and share info and opinions about food and drink - with an emphasis on the home-cooked/home-grown. I haven't broadcast the address of the site yet to the wider world because I'm not sure if all the wrinkles have been ironed out, but it's more or less ready to go and if anyone here fancies signing up and trying it out that would be cool. there's very little content on the site at the moment, but there are lots of cool features to start playing with.

http://foodwasters.ning.com

It was Ailsa's idea to call the site Foodwasters...see what she did there?  :D :D

It's not a money-making venture and I'm not anticipating it getting more than a few regular visitors, but if like myself, Damion, Leon, Heather & Ailsa you enjoy cooking, eating & drinking as much as taking pictures then maybe we can extend some of this wonderful Filmwasters atmosphere into areas of our lives not directly connected to photography.

Due to time constraints I decided not to host it myself and build it from the gound up like we did with Filmwasters, but have instead opted to sign up with Ning.com (after first trying Wordpress.com, soup.io & tumblr.com...much to the annoyance of the other contributors - sorry guys!!). I therefore apologise in advance for the fact that there are Google ads running down the right hand side of the screen. We could get rid of them by paying Ning a monthly fee of $25, but when you put it like that....I can live with the ads*.

Finally, there is some opportunity for a food + photography cross-over on the site because we'd love people to post their food/drink photos. You can create albums, import from Flickr etc. etc.

* If you use Firefox with the AdBlocker plugin installed you won't see the ads anyway. Nice!

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: ....Because People Can't Live on Photography Alone
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »
So that's where the great Ed has been hiding all this time ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:54:54 PM »
Actually I've been putting Foodwasters together during the odd hour of downtime at work (i.e. when there's no-one looking over my shoulder) and haven't really done any of it from home which is typically where I labour over Filmwasters. The lack of photography/Filmwasters output from me is more to do with renewed activity on the music front with quite a few projects/gigs over the summer.

Also, from June through to September I don't think I took a single film photo for reasons mainly relating to not wanting to add to the 4 year mountain of negs that I hadn't done justice to. Instead I concentrated on using my phone cam for family snaps...keeping it resolutely low-fi even if it is di**tal  :P

However, the good news (or possibly not, depending on where you stand  ;) :D) is that there will be more Filmwasters focus from me over the next few months as gigs drop off and now that Foodwasters is essentially finished. We are even starting a new round of podcasts this weekend. Hurrah!

astrobeck

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:43:20 PM »
The lack of photography/Filmwasters output from me is more to do with renewed activity on the music front with quite a few projects/gigs over the summer.

Be careful Ed, next you'll be doing a "Musicwasters"  forum   :) :) :)

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »
How ironic, my wife has just been appointed as the Environmental Officer for a local council, her first job is to raise awareness of the "Love food, hate waste" program

;D ;D ;D
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:25:18 AM »
How ironic, my wife has just been appointed as the Environmental Officer for a local council, her first job is to raise awareness of the "Love food, hate waste" program

;D ;D ;D

Wow, that's quite a coincidence! Leon had concerns that the name, 'Foodwasters', might come across as inappropriate given these rather straightened times, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up...and we have put a disclaimer/explanation on the front page, so I think we'll avoid any potential misunderstandings that way.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »
Will there be weekend threads - like 'what did you cook this weekend?'  :)
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 12:09:33 PM »
Will there be weekend threads - like 'what did you cook this weekend?'  :)

Bwa ha ha haaa. That be a good one! If I had the time I could also do some Nekotech on sake and mugi-shochu lemon sours.

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »
I've joined up ... and will probably contribute more than I have here lately.  My gluttony is steadfast, resolute and unwavering.

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 09:44:08 PM »
Nice idea, I love food and cooking and drinking as well as photography (and road cycling, which I find increases my appetite but at least keeps me the same weight)
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »
Funny, in a good way: my kids keep telling me they can't eat photo flow. Guess I need to learn some new recipies.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
Funny, in a good way: my kids keep telling me they can't eat photo flow. Guess I need to learn some new recipies.
I know Dektol & Soda ain't so great either ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.