Author Topic: I've got a new toy!  (Read 1560 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
I've got a new toy!
« on: September 05, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
 :D :D :D :D I'm Happy! :D :D :D :D

For a while, I had put myself on a used camera buying diet. Yes, I still have possibly too many cameras on my shelves and in boxes. But yesterday, I went to a church rummage sale and my willpower went out the window. I did get a Polaroid, a cheap Vivitar P&S and a couple of Fuji DL's. But the best came in the shape of an old (read very dirty) camera bag, or more what was in it. There was an almost brand new (only a small piece of rubber on the back is missing) Minolta Maxxum 5000 staring at me when I unzipped the cover. It was in almost pristine shape, barely any dust on it. It even had the original body cap!

The best part is when I asked the clerk how much it was and pointed out there were no optics to go with it, he promptly replied "Well... it's not digital. Good luck finding lenses for that. If you give me 5 bucks, it's yours." :) I don't think I've ever opened my wallet quite that fast.

At first, I couldn't believe it and had serious doubts about it's working condition. I put batteries in it (it works on AA's) and to my surprise the thing works! Was I happy :)

Only drawback is I don't have any lenses to go on it (the previous owner probably bought a Sony Alpha which is 100% compatible with Minolta Maxxum lenses).

So, now I'm on the hunt for some lenses that will fit on it. I wonder if it's compatible with the old Manual focus OM-2 lenses?

I just thought I should share the joy...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:36:05 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: I've got a new toy!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:11:36 PM »
Great story as always, Francois. I hadn't come across this camera before so thought I'd look it up. Here's a snap for anyone else who's similarly in the dark:

Courtesy of http://www.collectiblecameras.com/catalog/index.php?category_id=660

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 10:46:23 PM »
That's the one. The design is very 80's with the square button. Being so used to the Nikon way of doing things, this one is quite disconcerting at first. The rewind button is next to the eyepiece. There is also a small button for Back Light Control on the back that is thumb operated. On top, the power switch has 3 positions: Lock, On, Beep (this last one is supposed to beep when the camera is in focus. There are also 2 arrow buttons on top, these are for the shutter speed. On the top left, there is a small sliding panel that ides the manual ISO button, the 10 second self timer and the program/manual button. When the cover is closed, the camera returns in program mode... On the front left just on the side of the prism, there are two arrow buttons which are supposed to work the aperture in a similar fashion to today's aperture ring free lenses. There is also a switch for manual/auto focus.

One thing I find strange is the camera has a special mirror with semi-silvered patterns drawn on it which are probably part of the autofocus system. I've never seen anything like this.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Francois

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 02:21:27 AM »
I love it when one gets a good buy from an oblivious seller! 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
I love it when one gets a good buy from an oblivious seller! 
But not as as much as the "in the know" buyer  ;D ;D ;D
(and yes, I'm still smiling just looking at it)
Francois

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »
It looks as it might have been used in star trek!!! Really cool  8)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 03:38:20 PM »
Strangest thing is it is totally invisible in the viewfinder! I tried hand holding an old screw mount lens flat on the bayonet just to see and none of this detailed maze shows...
Francois