Author Topic: For someone who's scared of photographing people...  (Read 2602 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
For someone who's scared of photographing people...
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
...I'm rather bloody pleased with this shot. It's my neighbour, Ron, who is in his 80s and fit as a fiddle. Everyone in our block is extremely fond of him.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

SuzanneR

• 35mm
    • Suzanne Revy Photography
Re: For someone who's scared of photographing people...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
What's to be scared of? Nice portrait! (I get butterflies in my stomach when approaching people, but they rarely say no!)
Suzanne

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »
Asking someone if they mind me taking their photo scares me to death..however..this is just beautiful!

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:11:08 PM »
Like it. Good image and a nice neighbour me thinks. Rather grandiose setting :-)

I find I can talk to anyone - and mostly do. Comes from working wif people most of my life. Most of the time I can ask them to have a snap taken by me too - although mostly they are rubbish snaps!
However, I have yet to snap-up any of my current clients who I fit electronic tags to. I will do in time I'm sure but have not quite found the right moment to broach the subject. :-)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »
Good stuff! I trust you'll get him a print seeing as how it turned out so well. Lovely stuff!

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
photos of strangers
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:41:54 PM »
Top shot. warm expression, natural pose, well composed. 10/10

(and I needed to prove I'm not always a carping whinger  :))

PS- A lot of people feel weird about photographing strangers. I used to be shy. I made a deliberate decision to alter my behaviour, even when I didn't have a camera in hand. I decided to become one of those slightly odd types who strikes up a quick conversation with people for no reason other than you are next to them in the street, at the bus stop, in the checkout aisle- anywhere. You know the ones who come up to you and you aren't sure if it's safe to talk back or whether you should just stare fixedly at the horizon and pretend you are deaf  ;D

I developed better people skills, and it became easier to pop the question when I was toting. I usually make eye contact first, tell them they look fantastic or that I love what they are doing, and bolt off a couple of shots before going over to have a chat. Then if they seem sweet with it all, ask them to pose or go back to what they were doing, and I go into  full-on portrait mode for a few moments.

Then finish by offering to email a snap as a 'thank you'. - especially if she's cute. kidding  ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:56:50 PM by db »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 11:48:31 PM »
Good to see Don 'The Pitiless Critic' Brice being positive for once. Aussies...they're so negative!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 12:10:23 AM »
I must say it took me many, many years to pluck up the courage to point a camera at someone, let alone ask them. Then I figured the worst that could happen would be a no - not such a big deal.
After work each day fi the weather is good I like to wander and take Holga shots from the hip - I do like to get as close as possible and often, as like Don I get chatting to them - often firing off a few shots whilst talking and then asking at the end for a more formal shot.

I find it a good discipline - it really is pushing me outside my comfort zone. I enjoy the chats and you never know what you will get.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

CamerAsian

• privatize the profit, nationalize the debt
    • Prints of Darkness
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:04:51 AM »
Of course, you don't necessarily have to have the permission of the people you're shooting.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 10:39:42 AM »
really nice pic Ailsa. as are the others here
L.

nicnichols

• nicnichols.com
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 07:29:47 PM »
I love street photography.. and shooting (with a camera..) people on the street. Often I ask permission, but sometimes you have to just brave it out.. the moment may be lost. "Its easier to beg for forgiveness then to ask for permission..." this shot is of 2 tourists who were waiting for our table at the Pontiac Grille.. we had the best spot- one with a view of the street so that I could shoot some images while eating and relaxing.. and they were rude enough to ask us to hurry along.. so as I left, I turned at got this shot...