Author Topic: Where do you send your colour film to be processed?  (Read 2380 times)

Ailsa

• Peel Apart
Where do you send your colour film to be processed?
« on: November 28, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »
Who can you recommend for C41 processing - just dev and contact? I've shot a few rolls of 120 colour over the past year, but don't expect any of them to be spectacular, so don't need to spend a fortune ? la Metro Imaging.

Hmm, the above is supposed to say 'a la', but clearly someone doesn't like the accent above the 'a'.  ::)

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
Re: Where do you send your colour film to be processed?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »
I get my local photo shop personage to run them through his machine thing. Maybe a bit far for you. But he charges [me] only ?2 per roll :-)

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »
Peak Imaging have done all my colour film for years via mail order with zero problems.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »
i use metro colour labs in brum aka peter gaffneys.

http://www.metrocolourlab.com/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
I second Metro in Brum. Always produce clean negs.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:13:09 AM »
HOw easy is it to develop colour film at home?

I know printing is a bit more complex.

Chops
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »

You can get kits to do C41. Principles are much the same as black and white except more steps and usually a higher temperature is used which can be a problem to maintain unless you use a water bath.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

al

• Peel Apart
    • matchboxpinhole.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »

You can get kits to do C41. Principles are much the same as black and white except more steps and usually a higher temperature is used which can be a problem to maintain unless you use a water bath.

With the basic c41 kits there are 2 steps followed by a rinse then optional (but recommended) stabiliser stage

dev (3mins 15 secsonds)
blix (about 3 mins)
rinse
stabiliser (1 min)

Everything is done at a higher temp than b&w (37C/100F).   The developer stage is the only critical one, and only then really if you want to use traditional darkroom print methods.  For scanning the negs the whole process is very tolerant; my water bath is a bowl of warm water in the sink checked from time to time with a cheap digital thermometer and topped up with hot tap water direct from the tap as the temperature drops.

In many ways the process is easier than b&w as the development temperature and time are the same regardless of film brand, type or speed.

www.dlab7.com (in the UK) who unfortunately have stopped doing E6 still do C41.  They're pretty cheap, dev only is 2.95 or 2.49 in bulk, although they only do 35mm for C41.   This is odd because for E6 they did 35mm and 120.  I was always pleased with their E6 service, a little slow but the films always came back well processed, free from scratches & marks and well packed. Haven't tried their C41.  One good thing is they cut their negs into 6's

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 02:18:57 PM by al »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 05:33:35 PM »
Ailsa, Jim Green mentioned a dev and scan outfit that he uses religiously and recommends most highly in an old FW podcast. Can't remember the details, but I think they're based in Hastings or somewhere. I called them when I wanted some b/w 120 stuff devved and scanned, but they only do C41 and E6 so my 'proper' b/w wasn't something they'd touch. They were very nice though.