Author Topic: Diana Flipped lens  (Read 8117 times)

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
Diana Flipped lens
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:30:56 AM »
A few months back I flipped the lens on one of my Dianas. Using it selectively it looks like it will work out nicely for some shots.  From the top photo down,  #1 & #2 below, the tunnel vision effect is a bit intense (for my tastes).  3 & 4 are much more to my liking.  Here's a few to enjoy and/or critique:

Gregor

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:34:27 AM by gregor »

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: Diana Flipped lens
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
I like these a lot.  The great tonality of the images helps.

How do you flip the lens?

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:20:34 PM »
Hi hookstrapped:

I removed the lens barrel on one Diana, and pried it apart to get the lens out, and one another Diana I also removed the lens barrel and cracked the lens so I could remove it. Then put the barrel back on the 2nd diana, securing the flipped lens with a couple of very small drops of super glue (super glue tends to spread out and turn white so the amount I used was very small). 

The diana lens isn't easy to remove as it sits in a groove in the barrel. If you're much more patient than me you could use one diana, carefully splitting the barrel in a clean break and patch that back together with superglue after flipping the lens and placing into the groove.

Hannah

• 35mm
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 07:50:52 PM »
Oh, I love it! ;D

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:35:12 PM »
Hi hookstrapped:

I removed the lens barrel on one Diana, and pried it apart to get the lens out, and one another Diana I also removed the lens barrel and cracked the lens so I could remove it. Then put the barrel back on the 2nd diana, securing the flipped lens with a couple of very small drops of super glue (super glue tends to spread out and turn white so the amount I used was very small). 

The diana lens isn't easy to remove as it sits in a groove in the barrel. If you're much more patient than me you could use one diana, carefully splitting the barrel in a clean break and patch that back together with superglue after flipping the lens and placing into the groove.

Thanks.  I have an old camera toss casualty that I can use, plus another that I don't like the lens forward.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:28:39 PM »
I've flipped out on my Diana once and didn't really care for the results. These don't really do anything for me but I will say good try. Maybe with a different subject matter and the like I will. I cannot help but think the nicer and groovier results one gets with a BHF (Brownie). Now I have seen some really nice work from some of those cameras. I say poke around and try to win my socks over with something more solid. I will buy lunch.
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:20:06 PM »
I'll agree that the brownie shots I've seen have a better feel to them.  This was my first moderate modification of the diana (other than standard add ons like CU and other filters).

This is the 1st roll and I doubt I'll use it much.  I am pretty fond of the low light interior shot of the bed - but that's likely because it's personal - my cat, my bed. But it has a certain resonance beyond the personal.

Thanks for the comments Rebecca.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:22:00 PM by gregor »

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 02:33:25 PM »
I like the last two in particular. I think because it feels more successful if noticeable but subtle.
Draws your eye in, rather than takeing over the shot.

I may have to give it a go.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
I tried my hand at this with an old Diana-F and am intrigued by the results.  Thanks for the inspiration!

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »
A couple more...  Wow, I really like this.  Have you done any portraits with yours?

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 04:03:08 PM »
i've flipped lenses on various cameras before and, like beck, it doesn't do a whole lot for me. doesn't offend me or anything, it's just not a working blur, i think. or it's just too much blur. a bit contrived.
but still fun to play around. when you flip a holga lens, you ned to be within a couple feet of your subject or it's all just blurry.

this shot is a flipped banner lens in a holga.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »
No portraits but if you do I'd pull back to about 10 feet (on my camera at least since the tunnel vision effect is so severe - yours looks less so).

I'm liking what your doing. the last two work for me, and especially the B&W !

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 04:31:34 PM »
No portraits but if you do I'd pull back to about 10 feet (on my camera at least since the tunnel vision effect is so severe - yours looks less so).

I'm liking what your doing. the last two work for me, and especially the B&W !

Thanks.

I was talking to Beck over at toycamera about the variation in the amount of tunnel vision / edge smear.  Yours is pretty pronounced; mine less so, and the example Beck posted even less so.  I was thinking the only variable in the mod is the distance the lens ends up from the film plane.  I just twisted the lens out with its housing from the focus threads.  Then to prepare the flip, I cut away the threads with an exacto knife and placed the knurled lens housing into the hole.