Author Topic: slightly expired film  (Read 1801 times)

sausage100uk

slightly expired film
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:58:24 AM »
I bought some 127 film from a boot sale to try in my Yashica 44LM TLR now that I had fixed the shutter. As Kodak no longer produce film in this size it was "slightly" out of date, expiry date was 1967 to be precise. gave it 6 mins in some ilfosol3 and here are a couple of the results....

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
God created Paramedics so Firemen could have heroes...

russmorris

Re: slightly expired film
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 04:53:46 PM »
A few months back, I went to an estate sale Wifey found in the newspaper ads - among many other things, it listed photography equipment.

I found a working, really clean Gossen Luna-Pro, a bunch of Polaroid marketing material (including a Polaroid Land Photography Magazine) and a plastic bag filled with various types of film, with expiration dates range from 1953 to 1970. The film bag cost me $1.

I haven't gotten around to loading any of it in a camera yet, but that's the plan. The VP , Plus X and Tri-X should be the first to run through.

see notes about expiration dates on flickr

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:06:15 PM by russmorris »

Stu

• Peel Apart
    • Daily35
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 05:10:39 PM »
Sad I know but I just like the boxes!
Good find.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 09:59:57 PM »
Yay! Another 'old film' thread. Love it all!

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »
As long as you're not expecting fresh-off-the-shelf perfection, it's all good.  Black and white stuff seems to last almost forever, though it does lose speed -- bear in mind when exposing.  There are varying opinions on processing regimes, though I've found the base fog most manageable (at least for scanning) with normal processing.  I have my film commercially processed and don't tell them to do anything special.  As long as the exposures are good, the stuff looks fine.

Color is a mixed bag, thus making it an unpredictable ton of fun.  Any C-41 negative film can still be processed, as can E-6 chrome.  Often the most interesting results with old E-6 can be had by cross-processing in C-41, then printing/scanning the resultant negatives.

Film calling for old processes (C-22, E-4) are almost impossible to deal with except for a couple of speciality labs that charge a fortune and take forever. K-14 Kodachrome in any size other than 35mm cannot be processed anymore.

On the old black and white front, here are a couple of recent shots on 1970-vintage Ansco All-Weather Pan:

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:26:35 PM »
I wonder if the old K-14 couldn't be simply treated like a B&W film...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »
I wonder if the old K-14 couldn't be simply treated like a B&W film...

It certainly could.  I've never tried it, but it's easy to find examples of Kodachrome processed in B&W chemistry.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:58:22 PM »
I feel that's probably the only safe way to process K-14 film.
I know Filmrescue processes the old Kodachrome in only the black bath and not the other colors. Would be similar with the difference regular B&W chemistry doesn't bleach out the silver.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.