Author Topic: Need help tweaking the RF on my Land Camera  (Read 3509 times)

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Need help tweaking the RF on my Land Camera
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:28:05 PM »
NOTE: Plain English used below instead of tech jargon...mainly because I don't really know what I'm talking about. Please excuse any inaccurate terminology.

(Image courtesy of the Land List website)

The rangefinder on my Land Camera 360 is becoming increasingly difficult to use due to the 'shadow' focussing image drifting further and further away on the vertical axis as I use the horizontal axis to focus...if that makes any sense? When I first got the camera a couple of years ago it was very slightly off, but it didn't stop me from focussing successfully. Now however there's so much difference on the vertical axis that it's become really distracting and recent photos have not been as sharp as I've come to expect from this camera. I've tried to mock up an example of what a scene looks like through the viewfinder when the subject is in focus (see below).

Does anyone have any tips for the best way to fix this myself or do I just have to live with it? I could search the Web, but I thought I'd ask here first in case there are multiple adjustment methods.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:30:23 PM by ed.wenn »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Need help tweaking the RF on my Land Camera
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 03:16:18 PM »
I've never heard of such a thing before. On rangefinders, there is a small focusing mirror behind the small window next to the viewfinder. This mirror is on a vertical pivot that is twisted when you focus. Usually, it is the lateral movement that gets affected (and throws focus off). But this happens when the focusing mechanism gets loose.
If there is a loose part, it should make some noise when you tilt the camera...

Polaroids are notoriously difficult to take apart. There might be a small adjustment screw inside for the vertical alignment, I really don't know. But keep in mind that taking the viewfinder assembly off might very well wreck the camera.

I checked my Polaroid 315 (with head size focusing jig) and it has two screws behind the viewfinder. I suspect these to be holding the front panel. If you really want to be adventurous, you can try and look inside. But I would be somewhat scared to do so since my camera repair skills are not very good... If it was mine, I would try and live with it even if it would bother me to no end...

Don't forget that if it works, don't fix it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »
I recently read about RFs on the graflex website. In short, Do not try to touch the beamsplitter (it's not a mirror) unless you have replacement material. Any attempts at cleaning it or moving it will cause the coating to come off and it'll no longer do its job. It does sound like a crappy situation though :(
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 06:47:33 PM »
Talking as someone who has dismantled rangefinders in the past...

There's various ways the second image is derived and projected into the main image. Mostly using a moving prism but there may be surface coated mirrors involved as well. All cameras are a bit different so recommendations for one won't necessarily be relevant for others.

Generally, rangefinders have a vertical and horizontal adujstment. Some have two horizontal adjustments for near and far focussing. These adjustments are usually accessible without too much dismantling but, again, all cameras are different. There may be a hole somewhere, covered by a label or filled with a dummy screw, which would give you access to the necessary adjustments, but it's impossible to say without experience of the individual camera.

I suggest you try Google or maybe over on the rangefinder forum.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:04:10 AM »
you should be able to just buy another pola with a zeiss viewfinder and replace the finder (or just use the new camera). it's all in that little silver box. i've been told this happens frequently with those finders (and every one i've come across is slightly off, including the finder on my 185). the split viewfinders don't have this issue, so you could always find a super cheap pola and use one of those.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 07:21:58 AM »
I just opened up a similar one I have - two screws on the back and pull the back off.  The two mirrors (left and right) have no adjuster for vertical, they are simply clipped onto metal frames.  Wiggle the left mirror up and down and you'll see the vertical alignment change.

Suggests to me (if your version is at all close to the one I have) that the left mirror clip has moved or broken, or the mirror frame holder needs bending back into position.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 07:23:51 AM by Sandeha Lynch »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
What bugs me is the fact that it's the vertical alignment that's off... it's the part that shouldn't need any adjustment.

If it was focus that was off, there could be a few things that come to mind (lateral adjustment, mirror or beam splitter with flaked-off silver backing...) but with this one, my mind goes totally blank...
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 11:52:12 AM »
All, thanks so much for your feedback. I'm going to sit and ponder my options for a while now. I have 2 other Land Cams, both with the cheaper RF setup (focus through one, compose through the other), so I have no need to rush this. At least I now know it's probably not a simple tweak to get it fixed.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »
I have this same outfit. I like the results you got Ed. I would settle for something simliar over the bizzare fire fly like light leaks I get from mine, though.

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 06:51:05 PM »
I have this same outfit. I like the results you got Ed. I would settle for something simliar over the bizzare fire fly like light leaks I get from mine, though.
Beck, I think your Polaroid's bellows are the problem. Corners always end up leaking.
A single layer of well placed electrician's tape should do the job.

[Heavily modified to better reflect my gentlemanly qualities  ;D at 5:24pm ET ]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:26:58 PM by Francois »
Francois

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 09:22:08 PM »
I'm wondering about the propriety (or otherwise) of suggesting to a gentlewoman that she, 'tape up those bellows'.
 :o

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
Oops!
I guess the French side of my family just came out  :-[
Francois

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 10:30:17 PM »
i think you would have to hold beck down and tape up her bellows... she's not going quietly.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

edthened

• Peel Apart
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/edthened/
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 11:28:16 PM »
Och beck, a luv de magical effect de lite leeks give rat foti  :)
A Man's a Man for a' that
Robert Burns

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »
I am going back to bed. With my bellows intact...thank you very much.

Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

Nicole BM

• Nicole Boenig-McGrade
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »
I think last night's mushrooms from my vege patch had quite a magic effect!! :D