Author Topic: What ya shoot this weekend?  (Read 6687 times)

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
What ya shoot this weekend?
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:13:27 AM »
I managed to pull some frames before the big storms. I had trouble ONCE AGAIN ripping some 665 from the Colorpack III for some odd reason. Second time this has happened. The tab doesn't want to eject after the first pull and they end up sticking together and I have to open the camera and yank them out. Oddly enough, the exposure didn't harm the ones I was able to get. All four of them. It was bad. After fixing my prints, of course, they got caught in some drizzle and I had to smooth the rain spots out which was a chore. Hello...

Anyhow, shots from the CP and Spectra....

What did you shoot?

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:18:00 AM by The Beck »
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: What ya shoot this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:20:34 AM »
last week i spent a few days up north and took a day trip across the navajo reservation and some of the towns along 40. next time i go up i'm going to check out the hopi rez, which sits right in the middle of the navajo rez (which is like 1/4 of the state). going out to shoot with a friend tomorrow, somewhere south of here...

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 04:23:35 AM »
and a couple more...

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:25:55 AM by moominsean »
                                                                  - John Waters

xander1027

• 35mm
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:24:13 AM »
I want that couch  ;D and all these polaroids makes me wish i didnt sell my polaroid 195
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:28:41 AM by xander1027 »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »
nice pics everyone - Skj - that shot of the tree is skorjtastic.

Beck and sean - all great as susal
L.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 01:53:14 PM »
I was lucky enough to have some good friends off up north in Iwate exploring some abandoned Japan. Here's one from my 600 SE with Type-665. Real film stuff to follow after development and scanning.

I love Tomahawk Boy there, and the desert with expired color too Sean looks tremendous. I hope to get out that way one day. See ya! Skj.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:56:20 PM by Skorj »

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »
That be nice Skorjo....nya nya.

I think every family had the misfortune of owning a crushed velvet couch like the one pictured. Good work Moo...

I was trying to do a day series using a broken PC monitor. It was a chore lugging it around to different spots so I just trashed the idea. Maybe with better weather and such I'll do it again.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 05:10:15 PM »
i like that last shot a lot, beck...
                                                                  - John Waters

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 06:47:26 PM »
Beck, for me the very first shot you posted and the very last are the most successful. Somehow the props in some of the other photos take away from the genuine innocence and appeal of your models.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »
I am guilty of props, this is true. I just do it for my own kicks. Though with the axe, which is hidden from Eddie, and his fear of sharp objects, I wanted to see how he would react having it in his hands. He didn't...but I could see his wheels turning and that he was obviously uncomfortable. I asked him if he knew why the axe was put away....he said, yea, I know why. I like the picture very much. Not so much that he is holding this tool, but just that is looks full and lush overall. Certainly not to shock, but just to display Ed's myriad of emotions.

In the picture with him and his mother, it was like he was running for cover right off the bat for some reason. I think he was too tired to take any more and took to her lap, like to say, no more, please. I was stoked and took the shot straight away. I want a series with this family and I am going to fan this out and hopefully grab something decent. I love this 665 so stinking much...

otto k

• ottok photography
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 02:44:53 AM »
Great stuff, Beck, Sean and Skorj. 

I didn't get out to shoot...the weather and my mood didn't cooperate.  I did, though, get into the darkroom for a little bit.  Here's one.  I'm having a hard time scanning these to match the print exactly.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:05:56 AM by ottok »

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 08:46:37 AM »
very nice lith otto - lovely peachy tones
L.

eyecaramba

• Reject from Richmond
    • Eye Caramba
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 01:25:41 PM »
There are several great images here, Beck.  Portrait with mom, Eddie with axe, the floating bodies, hand holding.  Great images.

Skorj... beautiful image.

Sean... my son's half brother used to live on the Whit eMountain Apache Reservation.  And my old boss man used to wrk on the Navajo res.  Have visited both.  Never did make it to anything Hopi.  I miss Arizona.  The color on these is great it is how I remember things.  I generally like wrinkles in images and the signage and sofa photos do it for me.

I have not seen tones like that from lith printing, Otto.  Very strange.  Although I have only lith printed a few times.
My chopstick is really a love poem.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 03:31:40 AM »
beautiful work everyone. beck i especially like that shot of the boy with the axe. the softness i really like.

i spent this last weekend in kenting.  a sort of beach resort area on the southern tip of taiwan. i ended up taking 7 rolls of film which is more than i probably should have. a few shots below. first two shot in a flipped lens brownie hawkeye flash and the last two shot in a holga 120N.

william

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
very nice splash shot William - I like the sense of scale and distance
L.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »
lovely images here - I am even beginning to like the colour!

I shot some B&W wif my Perkeo and Zorki down on the Uists. Rain and sun were the order of the day - with rain with mist getting the uper hand. Spent a nice hour watching a sheep dog trial on the machair on Berneray. Negs cooking .
This one; Perkeo GP3 / APH09. Howmore, S. Uist

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:24:15 PM by Andrea »

tijeras

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »
Everyone's photos are great!  It's like an informal FW gallery.

Here's my effort....my latest adventures have involved walking down alleys to avoid congestion in tourist towns.
this one's from Taos.

Holga withTri-X

xander1027

• 35mm
    • Flickr
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »
Found this while walking out to go to the beach.

Mamiya 7II 65mm
160NC

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 09:04:36 PM »
not from last weekend, but developed then.  2 portraits  - one of my Dad and one of my Brother - both in the Marina Bar at IJmuiden aan Zee in Holland.  I really liked the light flooding in through the huge glass windows, and tried to capture the look af sheer exhaustion and relief we were feeling after spending 28 hours being thrown about in a small boat by gail force 8s in the North Sea.  Shame I didnt have colour film - we all had a distinctly green tinge to our gills.  The trip was to celebrate my Dads 70th, I can think of less stressful ways to plan for his 71st!

Bessa r3a with 50mm
Fp4+ in metol/catechol developer
negscan

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:08:44 PM by leon taylor »
L.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 12:04:07 AM »
Leon your skills with printing are superb. I really wish you would turn the camera on your subjects more often. Some fine Bessy work indeed.

...and the same for the rest. Outstanding work. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more. I'll be wading...

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »
It's amazing what one can do on a weekend!! Great stuff Becks!! I was fortunate enough to visit Japan and spend some time with Skorji.  Went up north and had a great time exploring some abandoned villages and towns. 

Shot taken with a FP-1 and Fuji 400B.

It's later than you think.  Enjoy life...

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 04:38:45 PM »
There's some very fine work in this thread. I did get out this weekend with an Agfa Isoly that came my way. Turns out to have poor focus, and a curtain-like light leak that affected the bottom eighth of all the negatives. This print was selenium toned.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • moominstuff
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 01:57:11 AM »
i went to the san carlos reservation on sunday, which is apache. didn't get tons of shots, but it's kind of difficult just pulling over and taking shots in a rez neighborhood without being invasive. white guy in yellow truck kinda sticks out.

- John Waters

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 02:02:56 AM »
Paul, I would have thought those clouds had you not said. What do you suppose happened? I have never used an AI before...

Ken, nice to see you. You and Mark, Partners in Grime. Dig the grit. Nice work always...cheers.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 02:07:29 AM »
Sean, the mileage you must put on your feet let alone your car. Buns of steel? I hope not. Groovy work again. Of course I am reminded of grade school and that playground horse.

I chucked in a very expired pack of 669....poop...nothing of it. The pods were bone dry. All gone. Is there something you can do with the blank frames at least? Probably not...

okayku

• a set of postcards
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 04:46:28 AM »
Reaallly nice work everyone, I shot about 4 rolls of film and am still scanning the negs but these are my favorite so far

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 05:56:54 AM »
Sean - those washed out colours = instant nostalgia!

Okayku - love the third shot, with that juxtaposition of shoes, feet and table legs

Beck - no, you're right those are clouds in the bottom left of the frame. I had a larger mass of clouds down there to balance the composition, but had to crop the print because of the ugly light leak - it looked a bit like gauze curtains. No idea how it happened, perhaps will try taping the camera if I use it again.

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »
Waiting for Gus Wylie.
Zorki6/Era100/APH09.
@ Maritime Festival BBQ in Cromor, Isle of Lewis.