Author Topic: Fuji Instax 200: Some Test Shots  (Read 4379 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
Fuji Instax 200: Some Test Shots
« on: May 11, 2008, 05:22:54 PM »
so i broke down and bought a fuji instax 200 at a shop here(i was being interviewed that same night about my camera collection so i figured the time was right). so far i'm really loving the camera. it may not be an sx-70, but it still gives some nice results. i'm surprised at how sharp the images are(the shots below may not show that very well due to re-sizing of the scans). i'm a little puzzled by the negative things i'd heard about the camera before getting one myself. the top three shots below are from the test roll, and the final shot i took today and just happen to love the subject matter. i seem to be having some framing issues, so  if someone has any advice on that i'd love to hear it.

william

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Fuji Instax 200: Some Test Shots
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
I know sx-70/600 fans always took to the square-ish format (the frame isn't an exact square!)

This is a big part of the look. The color balance is also a big thing...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:55:35 AM »
I hate it because it just takes plain old snapshots and there's no freakin' way of turning off the flash  >:( I like the short depth of field and close focusing of my sx-70. My husband got an instax 100 and that's what got me using it, then it broke at random (didn't want to turn on anymore) so we got an instax 200. I hardly use it now. I swear the 100 allowed for the flash to turn off and it correctly exposed sunsets. That's what it was really good at. Now using the 200 it keeps firing the flash even when i tell it no because it's all "automatic-camera knows best" crap. The sunsets come out dark and wrongly exposed. So that's my opinion on it. It's fine for the photos  you've taken where there is no use of flash because it's so bright out.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »
there's no freakin' way of turning off the flash  >:(
There is one, it's called electrical tape  ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:35:44 PM »
yeah, i understand about the flash. of course i have some polaroid cameras that did the same thing. i'd just stick my finger in front of the flash. i do wish it could focus better, but quite a few of my polaroid cameras have limited or fixed focus as well so in comparison it's not so different.

william

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »
I tried that. It comes out exposed wrong because it thinks it's using its flash (way too dark, even Lighten doesn't help it).
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:35:45 PM »
oh, that sucks. i wasn't aware the instax 100 let you turn the flash off.

william