Author Topic: Not safe for work in here! nude photography  (Read 4879 times)

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
Not safe for work in here! nude photography
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:11:23 PM »
I'm so excited. This Thursday I did a sort of "mini workshop" with Ian Leake on photographing nudes. I'm a clumsy learner and I had loads to learn besides the whole interacting with another person I've never met before.  Still, I got a lot of good negatives I think. So far I've developed two sheets and cyanotyped them (which was always the intent). I still have another 4 negatives I think. 2 hours went by very fast! I hope I can improve my people skills so I can get over my shyness about new people especially ones that immediately strip off and ask me what position I'd like them to get into  :o :D I like fine art nude photography, though, so hopefully I can do this again some day.

What do you guys think? The close-up negative was a little overdeveloped because, for some reason, the polaroid I took immediately before exposing the film was really dark looking, like it was vastly underexposed. Thought it was bellows factor but apparently it was just some freak polaroid mess up. I have a backup neg I can develop for less time...

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Not safe for work in here! nude photography
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 02:17:08 PM »
these are looking good Heather - looks like a successful and productive few hours
L.

rdbkorn

• Error-Prone
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
I'm really enjoying these images, and I admire your courage in coming to grips with your shyness to work with the model.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »
I hope I can improve my people skills so I can get over my shyness about new people especially ones that immediately strip off and ask me what position I'd like them to get into  :o :D I like fine art nude photography, though, so hopefully I can do this again some day.
Shyness has nothing to do with it... it's just plain intimidating!
(I wouldn't want to make a fool of myself in front of a nice lady!)

As for the exposure (pun not intended)... it looks fine on my screen ;)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

beck

• Sheet Film
  • Wet Blanket
    • rebecca pendel photography
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 09:59:41 PM »
I love the cobalt blue....and your "fine" attempt at nudies. I just don't do enough of these I don't...and always am willing to sever a limb for a subject. But...well, for another day. I imagine these look a lot nicer held in your hands...the prints I mean...haha...and I applaud your efforts greatly. Looking forward to seeing more...
Retired Renegade Plastic Film Liberator Super Heroine

ndroo

• FuzzyEyeballs
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 04:40:53 AM »
They look real cool! Cyanotyped? Ermm ... I'll have to go read about it (sorry, newbie here). Good work!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:26:24 PM »
Somehow, I always get a chuckle out of hearing other people's experiences (and adventures) with nude photography :) (not in a bad way, but it seems it is always intimidating, nerve racking and something wrong always happens with your camera)

And somehow, it always comes down to a French cartoon I discovered years ago.

I did a free translation of one of the cartoons... hope you enjoy :)

[Sorry, image deleted during forum software upgrade. Please re-upload if so inclined.]
Francois

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »
 :D Funny cartoon. I'm just glad Ian let me borrow a tripod. I've not got one that can handle the 4x5 press cam very well, it wobbles all over the place as I put a darkslide in!
It is kind of shyness.... and cuz I'm a girl, it's weird complimenting another woman you don't know. It's a little more awkward when the other woman is naked! Ian was right, though, if the model doesn't feel comfortable about you, it shows. I like the first two pictures I took as far as body shape and composition but poor Aiste doesn't look very happy in them  :-\

Also it's amazing how incredibly lazy I can be... I've not developed any more negs so far!  ::) Going to try to get the rest done today.

Oh and cyanotypes are an "alternative photography process" which basically means mixing a solution of ammonium ferric citrate green and potassium ferricyanide together, brush it on paper with a brush, let it dry, contact print by exposure to UV light for a few minutes, then wash in water and hang up to dry. I really like working with cyanotypes but I really like blue... apparently it's not for everyone's taste to have everything blue (weirdos)  :P
Heather
ooh shiny things!

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 03:49:36 PM »
I really like working with cyanotypes but I really like blue... apparently it's not for everyone's taste to have everything blue (weirdos)  :P
I like the blue also. If you want though, you can try toning some of them in various mixtures. Some have had nice results with tea or coffee, but I prefer to use the ammonia and tannic acid. But, experiment and find some mixture of your own that gives nice results.

By the way, the first shot above is my choice. Nicely posed, and nicely exposed. No pun intended. (No Really!)

-Jason

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:07:10 PM »
The most "alternative" process I've ever done is sunprints...
But blue is always nice...
Francois

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »
I've not been happy with most of the toned cyanotypes I've seen that aren't mind nor the ones I've done myself. I find they look muddy. I'm a high contrast kind of girl.

Francois - Sunprints are just cyanotypes... just a very expensive way of doing it. The two chemicals aren't  expensive and it's not hard to coat paper yourself. They're pretty safe chemicals to handle as well.  100ml of each solution is enough to keep me going for nearly a year. Try it out, ask questions if you need help :)
Heather
ooh shiny things!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »
Actually, I got mine for very little cash!

About a year ago, at my local Dollar store, they had a kid's magazine (you know the type that comes with some gadget in the plastic wrap)... well, it came with a little envelope containing a few sheets of sensitized paper... bought 4 magazines so I now have about 16 small sheets.

I am wondering, did you use the standard cyanotype  formula or the improved one?

I know one of them makes darker hues but (if memory serves me well) is more toxic than the first...
Francois

seekingfocus

• Peel Apart
  • chronic reciprocity failure.
    • Reciprocity Images
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 12:40:24 AM »
I am wondering, did you use the standard cyanotype  formula or the improved one?

I know one of them makes darker hues but (if memory serves me well) is more toxic than the first...

I have always used the standard formula, and have never had a problem with the intensity of the blues. I find if it's prepared correctly and used soon thereafter the blues are quite intense. Also, after developing in water, I give it a squirt with H2O2, which will instantly make the blues POP.

I have heard mixed reviews about the newer formula, some saying it's much more difficult and with not as nice of results... but that's all second hand info.

-Jason

ali

• 35mm
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 03:43:20 AM »
I love the the H2O2 step!!  It is like majic..... without it and some time you will get the same results, but adding the H2O2 gives immediate joy!

I am with Jason as far as the newer formula not getting the best reviews.  I haven't tryed it, but haven't heard great things about it either.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 12:40:25 PM »
I only use the traditional formula. That's picky enough about what papers it likes and unlike Dr. Ware, I do not have problems with mould growing on my Ammonium Ferric Citrate Green. When I first mixed the solution maybe a week or two after using it, some mould did grow into a little floating island in the solution. I used a disposible chopstick and fished it out from the solution. It's never grown back after about the second time of getting rid of the island of goopey mould so I assume i released some sort of deadmould anti-growth stuff.

Then again, I also leave paper coated and out in the open for days/weeks/months and hardly ever have a problem with fogging (only if i've actually left it out exposed to too much light) and everyone else who works with cyanotype say they have to use their paper in a day or two or else they get highlights that turn out light blue and not white  ???  it's really weird but I don't have this problem. I even did it with some buxton paper... I coated it a few days ago, not sure how many, exposed it yesterday, washed it, highlights fine.

I don't use H2O2. Seems like a waste of money and yet another bottle to add to my HUGE collection when I don't really need it... air will eventually work just as well.

Heather
ooh shiny things!

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 04:41:54 PM »
These are just great Heather and good on you for pushing yourself that extra yard with the interaction.....and certainly not with naked people! I did  for the first time a while ago turn the camera on myself naked...Polaroid I hasten to add! One of which I posted on my blog. Didn't think to post it here for opinions...seems a bit late now but I have plans to do more.

Always good to push ourselves outside our comfort zone......very often it brings interesting results.