Author Topic: Weekend August 30th - September 1st 2024  (Read 414 times)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
Weekend August 30th - September 1st 2024
« on: August 30, 2024, 09:14:44 AM »
Continuing in the same vein as Becky's wonderful woodland shot from last week's thread, here's two shots from the northern woods taken this summer.

Contax II / Zeiss Sonnar 1.5/50 / Rollei Retro 400S @200 ISO in Rodinal
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 09:16:37 AM by Kai-san »
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Weekend August 30th - September 1st 2024
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2024, 03:33:59 PM »
And for some reason, I'm now stuck singing The Beatle's Norwegian Woods....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2024, 03:47:58 PM »
Nice start Kai, I need to go take some shots in the woods.  It does look like good Norwegian wood.

These are what I salvaged from the roll that I mentioned in the last weekend thread.  My Leica IIIc had some very bad light leaks so these were cropped a lot resulting in exaggerated grain.  The first one was with a Hektor 135mm lens and the other was a Summitar 50mm.  The film is Tri-X developed in Rodinal 1:50. 

This was at Copalis beach on the Washington coast.  These markers are used to find your way back to the resort.  You can't see the resorts through the dunes and the woods so they erect these markers made of driftwood and Flotsam and Jetsam found on the beach. 
Beach Marker by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

My wife was attacked by a giant shark!  Don't worry, she's ok, it's not a real shark.
Shark Attack! by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

The good news is they may have found the source of the light leak.  One of the screws that holds the eyepiece to the camera had fallen out.  The threads were stripped, they had to glue a new screw in it.  I'm not sure how light gets from there down to the film chamber but I'm sure there's a way.  Maybe there's enough of a gap where the top meets the outer shell. 

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2024, 12:40:08 AM »
Hi everyone and happy weekend. I can't give a Norwegian wood, but how about a Finnish one?  ;D I'm recently returned from a couple of weeks holidaying in Finland and took the opportunity to waste a ton of film. For once I took only a single camera and really tried to get into it and shoot a lot. Mission accomplished. I've only got lab scans at the moment, so forgive the washed out sky in the second photo. I have a lot more to share and will do so in increments as I also had a bit of an epiphany while I was out there and want to discuss that too (but more of that later). For now, here are a couple taken on the same hike through some of the forests and marshes of Lapland.

Minolta X700 and some film (either Kentmere 400, Agfa APX 100, or Fomapan 100).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 12:55:14 AM by Ed Wenn »

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2024, 08:37:22 AM »
How about some California redwoods? Self-portrait with a 4x5 pinhole camera, ~1 minute exposure time on HP5+.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2024, 03:17:01 PM »
Hi everyone and happy weekend.
Hey Ed!
How's it going?
I don't know if you saw last week's thread but I have two glorious skate photos with sprockets on that one.
Fast action and panoramic cameras are definitely underrated 😁

BTW, I'm surprised to see how much Finnish woods look like Canadian woods...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2024, 04:06:23 PM »
Love that pinhole Ryan. I also enjoyed the YouTube video going with it.  ;)

grit

• Silver and Platinum (my YouTube channel)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2024, 10:46:00 PM »
Love that pinhole Ryan. I also enjoyed the YouTube video going with it.  ;)

Hey thanks, and thanks for checking out the YouTube channel! Annie is a friend of mine from our local community college darkroom, a photographer in her own right, and a good hiking partner - she helped me out quite a bit. Was a fun video to make.