Author Topic: That Kodak Super 8 camera announced in 2016 is still happening?  (Read 391 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
That Kodak Super 8 camera announced in 2016 is still happening?
« on: November 23, 2023, 01:19:03 PM »
Apparently so!

I was surprised to see something about this as I thought the idea was long dead.

Though at $5,495 (it says here) it's not for many.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: That Kodak Super 8 camera announced in 2016 is still happening?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 03:27:06 PM »
Saw this yesterday and the price really knocked me off my feet
When you consider how many little used super 8 cameras are out there, I really hope they find more fortunate film makers than me.....
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 04:30:08 PM »
I saw this, at that price I won’t be getting one, especially since I have a few good working Super 8 cameras.  Besides all the other bells and whistles, this one comes with one nice feature, the wider format.  They extend the picture into the side opposite the sprockets where the magnetic stripe would be for sound film.  Now they just need to make a projector with a wider gate. 

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 05:29:23 PM »
Wow. It's a shame as I imagine they're going to get a limited take up at that price. It would be a shame to see it fall flat.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 09:02:12 PM »
Well, there are always people who will go for this. I remember seeing Spike Lee proudly talking about his Bolex digital 8mm, and this thing was far from cheap.
And then there are people like Jason of Grainydays who has plenty of money to buy expensive cameras, so there is most probably a market for it. Just not large market, though I must admit that movie cameras were always a bit of a niche product.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.