Author Topic: How much to charge: Advice needed  (Read 2721 times)

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
    • Janet Penny Photography
How much to charge: Advice needed
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »
I have made the big move and handed my notice in at work in order to do freelance photography. I won't start for another couple of months but I'm busy trying to set things up now to get straight on with.

The place where I work has asked if they can pay me to do 30 days worth of work for them over the next year, the idea being that they pay me a retainer and I come in as and when they need me to cover events, do merchandise shots, people and rooms. It's great for me because I have a guaranteed lump sum to get me started. BUT I don't know what to charge them. I still have no idea of daily rates or even what kind of price would be a good deal for them and me.

Thanks guys

Janet

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: How much to charge: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 12:43:12 PM »
cant help you there Janet other than to say congrats and making the move, having taken a life-changing plunge myself this year, I know how difficult it is to get the guts up to go for it, and I dont even have kids to consider  -so well done and best of luck with it all - I know you'll do well.

ps happy birthday for yesterday btw :)

Leon
L.

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 02:23:21 PM »
Thankyou and Thankyou  :)

It's pretty scary isn't it, taking the leap to do what you've dreamed of?

lauraburlton

• Peel Apart
    • laura burlton photography
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 02:44:34 PM »
Well I dont know what people usually charge in the UK, but you should factor in not only the shooting time, but all of the processing time you will have to do afterward to get them finished prints or files. If it is prints they need, you should also either factor the cost of those in or make sure it is understod that they will be a separate charge. When I shoot a wedding, I am generally there for 8 hours but I also spend about 20-30 hours per wedding doing post processing , customer service and design, so I tend to think of each wedding as 1 weeks work and charge according ly. At the moment I am paid hourly by my boss  and my rates are pretty low because I am paying off a ton of gear  ( I get $50 per hour when shooting and $12 per hour when processing, I dont do album design or retouching yet, but I will next year and I am not sure if that will be a per job fee or if my hourly will go up...but these are my training prices)BUT I can tell you what he charges... He charges $300 per hour with a 2 hour minimum on events ( partyies and the like), $3500  minimum purchase to do a wedding ( most average about $5500 in any case- this includes his hourly fee and album or print purchases) $300 per portrait session, which generally last 1-2 hours but include no prints or CD'd- these are to be purchased separately and I think he only charges $150 for corporate headshots ( they only take about 20-30 minutes and they get a high res file)
Thats all I got though. We dont usually do "commercial" photography per se ( i.e. product shots) but when he does I think he charges $300 per job or more if it is going to take longer than about an hour. So basically- he charges $300 per hour BUT you have to think that will cover all of his expenses for the rest of the week because he only usually bills about 10-15 hours per week and makes his other money on print or album sales. Anyways, I am not sure this helps but I hope so :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:47:07 PM by lauraburlton »

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 03:19:03 PM »
You might want to check the APA (http://www.apanational.org/manual/index.html)
They might have some info on what you are looking for.

If you don't find it there, maybe there is some info on the Canadian version (http://www.capicmontreal.ca/)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

db

• Peel Apart
    • portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:02:07 AM »
Janet, you are in the UK aren't you?

First- congratulations. I know freelancing can be hard work, but on the up side you'll never have to work for anyone again. Well, except clients of course, but they are all so short term it's not the same...  You'll never look back.

I recommend joining a freelance photographer's association. There will likely be more than one- Suss out which one supports the sort of photography you plan to do most of. (ie. avoid the wedding one!!) These groups can seem expensive to join but you stand to gain so much in the first few years. You will learn pricing, be able to download contract, copyright and invoicing templates, go to workshops and seminars, meet peers, enter award schemes etc. Then if you have a question there is always someone to ask. Membership also carries a stamp of respectability in the marketplace, and you'll be seen as better than everyone else who knows not much more than how to build a website and find the "P" function on their dslr.

As a stop-gap, just do the Google thing and check day rates on photog's websites. Bear in mind that better photographers rarely advertise their rates but quote on a job by job basis, but I'd expect rates to be in the $500-800  (read Pounds here- in aussie we have different keyboards) range, depending on the work type and what equipment you need. Check the rates they quote, then look at the quality of their  folio to see where they fit in the scheme of things- awesome, or embarrassing crap. Mentally compare your work with theirs.

Also note that product work is often charged on a piece rate instead of hourly. Don't forget to charge for digital post production. Consider your company will likely expect a healthy discount on the market rate for offering you the retainer.
As an opening move, why not ask them what they are prepared to pay? They may know the market themselves and you could be pleasantly surprised..

PS- I don't know your market AT ALL, and I'm probably talking out of the **rse end of the planet...  ;)

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 07:23:27 AM »

I recommend joining a freelance photographer's association. There will likely be more than one- Suss out which one supports the sort of photography you plan to do most of. (ie. avoid the wedding one!!) These groups can seem expensive to join but you stand to gain so much in the first few years. You will learn pricing, be able to download contract, copyright and invoicing templates, go to workshops and seminars, meet peers, enter award schemes etc. Then if you have a question there is always someone to ask. Membership also carries a stamp of respectability in the marketplace, and you'll be seen as better than everyone else who knows not much more than how to build a website and find the "P" function on their dslr.

Congrats!  And I concur with db on the joining a freelance association.  It helps a lot to have an in road of this sort, and will help guide you through some unknown territory, like what is the norm for your area and type of work.  I can only speak from a writer's point of view, but it's the basics of learning the way in the early stages that really count later on down the road.   Network, network, network.
Most of all, don't be afraid to toot your own horn!
It may seem crass at times, and you'll get tired of pepping yourself up, but it's a must do in my honest opinion.

Congrats again, you won't be sorry you did this, and will wonder why you didn't do it earlier.
Becky

Janet_P

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 09:01:13 AM »
Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful. I feel as though I am stepping out into a huge dark space and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to find - having your help and advice is invaluable.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 02:17:21 PM »
Congrats Janet. Does this mean you'll have to borrow your Dad's DSLR on occasion?

:D :D

I'll be watching your progress VERY carefully. I wish you every success. In fact so much success that I too feel empowered to join the ranks of job-leavers.

astrobeck

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 05:50:08 PM »
Need to add....

This is kind of a marketing thing,  but I highly recommend the book
"Speak like Churchill, Stand like Lincoln" by James C. Humes.

If you're out selling yourself, you'll want to be your best.  This little book is a must have in my opinion for turning any presentation into a landmark occasion.

:)